Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 03:40 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
At one point black people were considered subhuman. What if someone's moral system tells them that they are not human and that slavery of them is not hurting a sentient being?
Considering black people subhuman was not based on scientific fact, but rather on beliefs. Another good reason why beliefs are not a good base on which to build a moral system.
Quote:
Give me a definite time at which that child becomes a human being and we'll talk. Until then, we should err on the side of caution.
You give me a definite time at which a fetus becomes an actual, living child and then we'll talk. Until then, we should MYOB.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
get a few drinks in your spouse and see their reaction. Alcohol is such a useful truth serem. You will be truly inspired by the positive results you get from it.
Wow, such a seemingly moral and upright soul would espouse in vino veritas?
You just lost any smidgen of credibility you may have had.
Who does that crap?

Old 11-09-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Human Lie Detector Training (http://humanliedetectortraining.com - broken link)

Now there's more to it than this, but it's a good guide. BTW, my reason for taking human lie detector training (professional training, not from this site) was for professional reasons, not personal ones. But the techniques are easily transferable to personal matters.
Based on the fact that the courts dont even use this kind of thing as admissible evidence in most states.....well, you know the rest.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:24 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Based on the fact that the courts dont even use this kind of thing as admissible evidence in most states.....well, you know the rest.
I'm not a court of law. I use the tools that are available to me, and they are shown to work and have many applications. It hasn't let me down thus far.

How is what I'm seeking any different than someone who seeks out someone who is of a particular race, or hair color, etc? Some people have preferences, I think mine are reasonable. I'm sorry you don't agree.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:26 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
It's despicable and utterly disgusting.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:26 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Considering black people subhuman was not based on scientific fact, but rather on beliefs. Another good reason why beliefs are not a good base on which to build a moral system.
If you're not a Christian basing your morals off of God's Law...that's all you've got is your beliefs....or society's beliefs.
Quote:

You give me a definite time at which a fetus becomes an actual, living child and then we'll talk. Until then, we should MYOB.
I asked first. I'd rather not risk killing a child. Obviously you disagree.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I'm not a court of law. I use the tools that are available to me, and they are shown to work and have many applications. It hasn't let me down thus far.

How is what I'm seeking any different than someone who seeks out someone who is of a particular race, or hair color, etc? Some people have preferences, I think mine are reasonable. I'm sorry you don't agree.
An analogy would be medical leeches......no evidence whatsoever that they work, same goes with lie detection.
Both are pseudo-science.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
It's despicable and utterly disgusting.
If you're talking about Twitter and tweeting in general then I agree.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
If you're not a Christian basing your morals off of God's Law...that's all you've got is your beliefs....or society's beliefs.

I asked first. I'd rather not risk killing a child. Obviously you disagree.
It's interesting that you say it's 'killing a child' while I would refer to it as 'inducing a miscarriage'.

Quite the emotional argument, eh?

And the Christian god's laws aren't something I personally would want to follow, but that's a whole different debate.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:37 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
An analogy would be medical leeches......no evidence whatsoever that they work, same goes with lie detection.
Both are pseudo-science.
At worst it would produce some false positives. So far, it's been 100%, 2 for 2. If I would've played dumb, I would've never known these two women were liars. Since I don't date covert operatives trained to thwart lie detection techniques, it becomes all too easy. Wow, it's interesting that my personal life fascinates people so much. Thanks, but I'm GTG with my method. It hasn't failed me yet. Analogy rejected.

Another tip: introduce scenarios that would contradict someone's statement. Lies are typically compounded and become harder to maintain over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies