Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 01:27 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,581,822 times

Advertisements

Hi, How could this be the citys fault?

DETROIT (AP) — An employee in the Detroit planning department who claims she is severely sensitive to perfumes and other cosmetics has sued the city, saying a co-worker's strong fragrance prohibits her from working.

Detroit employee sues city over co-worker's perfume - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 08:08 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Well if she complained and nothing was done then yes I guess she can sue.

That said , why do people have to douse themselves in fragrance to where you can smell them before they enter the room.....in close office spaces it can be offensive.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:32 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
It is seriously offensive, especially for people like me that have hyper sensitive smelling. It's great when it comes to steak, chocolate chip cookies and flowers, but nasty perfume/cologne make it a burden..

I think there's a certain group of people that are complimented on a smell and up the dosage 10 times to show it off more. I personally cough, hack and say something (along the lines of something smells awful) loud enough for the person to hear whenever someone like that is around me.. That may be rude and the persons feelings might be hurt, but oh well, I get sick when they're around.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:24 AM

2 posts, read 6,158 times
Here in Canada, the majority of government offices (including municipal) have had no scent policies in place for years to accomodate people with allergies or respiratory problems. I think that suing the city may be a bit extreme, but perhaps the woman has made her employer aware of the problem in the past and they have done nothing, so she feels its her only remaining option in order to get her point across? I've come across people who say that they have a right to wear fragrance as a part of personal expression, and I agree - as long as they're not endangering someone else's health to do so. If your fragrance is making someone else sick (and allergies can be quite severe, the effects lasting long after the exposure to the allergen is over, or causing serious breathing problems) then find another way to express yourself while you're at work.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,158 times
People get used to the fragrance that they wear and can't smell it anymore, so they up the dose. They don't realize that one or two spritzes are enough to last the day, so they keep blasting until they can smell it - at which point its waaaaay too much for everyone else that has to share space with them. Scent trick: spray it into your hair. It won't hurt it, it lasts longer (dunno why) and its closer to your nose so you can smell it too (so you don't feel like you hafta add more).

Old 07-13-2010, 02:57 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
It's more than that.
More people are chemically sensitive these days. 20-25% of the population is affected by fragrance products.

perfume allergy - Google Search

You can search around here a bit; I can probably post more later.
When I'm assaulted (there's a no fragrance policy in place where I work), my face swells up, I get a headache, lose my words & have to sleep. I can fall down and not know who I am. The best thing is salt water to leech the chemicals from your skin.

People don't always understand but it's the chemicals, not the smell that makes us sick. The smell is a warning sign for us.

20 Most Common Chemicals in Perfume and Their Health Risks
(You can find this information elsewhere, but this is a good starting place)
Twenty Most Common Chemicals in Thirty-one Fragrance Products [based on a] 1991 EPA Study

This is a bit scary to start with.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:10 PM

20,327 posts, read 19,914,840 times
I wonder if BO would fall under the rules re protecting co-workers from strong scents?

I've had to work around some that were downright rank and could sure stink up a conference room.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:10 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,899,855 times
It's not all in their heads. I empathize. Being bombarded with someone else's idea of perfume can be nauseating. Those droplets contain particles, and the same with air fresheners, etc. The stuff can get onto the surface of the eyes, and in your nose, then down the throat, and into the rest of the body. Beauty parlors really made me sick. Just there for a trim, and I was surrounded with gag o rama stench from permanents, and spritzers.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:24 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,740,703 times
I have asthma and perfume will set it off as well as aerosols but I don't think I would take it that far but some people are sue happy.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:28 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I have asthma and perfume will set it off as well as aerosols but I don't think I would take it that far but some people are sue happy.
You don't know what her symptoms are or what she tried to get people to stop.

People can go into anaphalactic shock.
I'm allergic to adehydes and petrochemicals and my life is no walk in the woods.
I haven't been to a department store in decades.

If people are willfully assaulting me and won't stop, I take it the extra step.
That's exactly what it is, too, an assault.

Aldehydes (as in formaldehyde) is used to set colors in clothing; in fabric softeners and loads of other items. You use fabric softeners on baby bedding and embalm the helpless things. Their lungs aren't fully formed yet and you're causing them distress. Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen. It's used in plywood, plastics, etc. Do you remember the FEMA trailers and how sick people became?

http://www.formaldehydetesting.com/w...maldehyde.html
like pressed wood products (mostly as an adhesive resin), fiber board, plywood, cigarette smoke, fuel burning appliances and kerosene space heaters. Additional uses in household products include: additive for permanent –press, an ingredient in glues, and as a preservative in medical laboratories – as embalming fluid, and as a sterilizer. Since Formaldehyde is a by-product of combustion and other inherent processes, it can be found in significant concentrations and in various environments.
It is also critical to note that the “11th report on carcinogens” classifies formaldehyde as "reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen".

More at link.

formaldehyde can trigger:
• asthma attacks
• nausea
• watery and/or burning eyes
• difficulty breathing
• headaches
• respiratory irritation
• sensitization
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies