Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:32 PM

32 posts, read 27,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't care at all what religion TheWon really is but here is a story that does more to convince me that he could be a Muslim and has been for a very long time. That is, unless this teacher of 29 years is just a outright liar.

Barack Obama joined Muslim prayers at school, teacher says | The Australian
Let me guess, this was reported on Fixed News. Along with all the other right wing BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 03:38 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Hit the bottom of your box of straws did ya?
The post is just covering the assigned "talking points" of the day, as usual. No doubt this same drivel has been posted on every forum they can get to today.
R.O.B. also believed that Hillary was going to produce President Obama's "real" birth certificate at the convention...lol! "Still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest..." (Simon and Garfunkel)

Old 11-10-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiiChi View Post
Let me guess, this was reported on Fixed News. Along with all the other right wing BS.
It's from The Australian...that couldn't be owned by Rupert Murdoch, surely!

Old 11-10-2010, 03:48 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yep, BO can't pray publicly on the traditional National Day of Prayer because prayer is such a personal matter, but had no problem with this occasion?

He was EIGHT!!!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:34 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Somehow I think you must be too young to remember the presidential campaign of John F. Kennedy. He was . . . . . a CATHOLIC! OMG! He'll have to answer to the Pope! Blah, blah, blah.

My Mormon niece by marriage, was living in Pittsburgh at the time of Romney's presidential candidacy. She was appalled at the anti-Mormon sentiment being expressed there, having grown up in CO where there are lots of Mormons.

I could go on forever, too.
The fact remains that America DID elect Kennedy, despite his being a member of a religion (and racial group) hostile to the Norse Protestants who then constituted the majority of Americans. People were being tolerant: absurdly tolerant, in light of what happened next.

Kennedy and his clan proceeded to destroy America: sending Old Stock American Protestant men off to die in Viet Nam, to slay the Communist enemies of Catholic interests in that country. They also opened up the floodgates for immigration, specifically to allow more Irish Catholic immigration to America. But that was only the beginning of the flood that has transmogrified this once-wonderful land.

And it is also a fact that most Americans are extremely polite to, and tolerant of, Mormons. Mormon Homophobia, just to name one trait, is rather extreme. Their views on the place of women have also been rather incompatible with the values of America's enlightened populace. Even discounting Polygamy, there was much about the religion that would have been seen as a threat and a challenge to the nation's majority. Yet Mormons were NOT wiped off the face of the Earth. Instead, they have been allowed to flourish and proselytize. The fact that opposition to that group has amounted to little more than anti-Mormon sentiment, is evidence of tolerance, not intolerance.

I believe that if you knew a bit more about how the rest of the World works, you'd realize that in most places intolerance is expressed rather more dramatically than through negative sentiment. Ever heard of Pogroms and The Inquisition?

In any event, since both the American Catholics and the Mormons you referenced were Americans, I don't think that negative thoughts and feelings about them, by other Americans, serve very well as illustrations of intolerance toward other people's cultures.

The notion that one must tolerate, is an outgrowth of The Norse Mind, and Norse Protestantism. That's something I picked up in my Jewish Studies. Murdering, isolating, converting under duress, exploiting, or enslaving alien peoples is far more the norm for the rest of the world. Dutch Protestants and Danish Grundvigian Lutherans seem to have been at the forefront of the movement for Universal Tolerance. Altruism is the Achilles Heel of the Norse Mind.

There are various ways I could suggest, in which you might experience true intolerance. Maybe you could walk through Tehran in a Mini Skirt. Maybe you could draw a cartoon of a certain Prophet on the sidewalk there, and see what happened next. There's a good chance it might be a bit more pronounced than verbal expressions of negative sentiment.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 11-10-2010 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-10-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
The fact remains that America DID elect Kennedy, despite his being a member of a religion (and racial group) hostile to the Norse Protestants who then constituted the majority of Americans. People were being tolerant: absurdly tolerant, in light of what happened next.

Kennedy and his clan proceeded to destroy America: sending Old Stock American Protestant men off to die in Viet Nam, to slay the Communist enemies of Catholic interests in that country. They also opened up the floodgates for immigration, specifically to allow more Irish Catholic immigration to America. But that was only the beginning of the flood that has tranmogrified this once-wonderful land.

And it is also a fact that most Americans are extremely polite to, and tolerant of, Mormons. Mormon Homophobia, just to name one trait, is rather extreme. Their views on the place of women have also been rather incompatible with the values of America's enlightened populace. Even discounting Polygamy, there was much about the religion that would have been seen as a threat and a challenge to the nation's majority. Yet Mormons were NOT wiped off the face of the Earth. Instead, they have been allowed to flourish and proselytize. The fact that opposition to that group has amounted to little more than anti-Mormon sentiment, is evidence of tolerance, not intolerance.

I believe that if you knew a bit more about how the rest of the World works, you'd realize that in most places intolerance is expressed rather more dramatically than through negative sentiment. Ever heard of Pogroms and The Inquisition?

In any event, since both the American Catholics and the Mormons you referenced were Americans, I don't think that negative thoughts and feelings about them, by other Americans, serve very well as illustrations of intolerance toward other people's cultures.

The notion that one must tolerate, is an outgrowth of The Norse Mind, and Norse Protestantism. That's something I picked up in my Jewish Studies. Murdering, isolating, converting under duress, exploiting, or enslaving alien peoples is far more the norm for the rest of the world. Dutch Protestants and Danish Grundvigian Lutherans seem to have been at the forefront of the movement for Universal Tolerance. Altruism is the Achilles Heel of the Norse Mind.

There are various ways I could suggest, in which you might experience true intolerance. Maybe you could walk through Tehran in a Mini Skirt. Maybe you could draw a cartoon of a certain Prophet on the sidewalk there, and see what happened next. There's a good chance it might be a bit more pronounced than verbal expressions of negative sentiment.
Norse? As in, back to Leif Erickson? Please provide an accurate site corroborating the assertion that the "Norse" were the majority group in America in 1960.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:46 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
A coworker of mine had a husband that was dying. When the call came that he was ready to pass, her coworkers gathered together. They were Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, few agnostics, even an athiest.

We prayed, or at least, shared in well-wishes for him and the family.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:55 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

Kennedy and his clan proceeded to destroy America: sending Old Stock American Protestant men off to die in Viet Nam, to slay the Communist enemies of Catholic interests in that country. They also opened up the floodgates for immigration, specifically to allow more Irish Catholic immigration to America. But that was only the beginning of the flood that has tranmogrified this once-wonderful land.
After reading your posts I've come to the conclusion that you live in a altered stated of reality. Americans of every race, and ethnicity fought and died in Viet Nam not just "Old Stock American Protestant Men". The Viet Nam war was example of poor or working class American fighting and dying for the policies of the educated and rich. It's the poor and working class kids that got drafted. Kids going to college got deferments and if your family was rich enough your number simply didn't get called. Bill Clinton basically dodged the draft and George W. Bush Jr. basically avoided the Viet Nam by joining the Texas National guard, being trained on a fighter jet that was about to decommissioned and would never be deployed in Viet Nam. He then got a cushy job set up for him by his dad where he didn't even show up for duty.

Also what the hell is "tranmognified".

Old 11-10-2010, 05:30 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
After reading your posts I've come to the conclusion that you live in a altered stated of reality. Americans of every race, and ethnicity fought and died in Viet Nam not just "Old Stock American Protestant Men". The Viet Nam war was example of poor or working class American fighting and dying for the policies of the educated and rich. It's the poor and working class kids that got drafted. Kids going to college got deferments and if your family was rich enough your number simply didn't get called. :
Things aren't so different now, actually. It's still poor kids who make up the bulk of the enlisted grunts. It's just that they are now the unemployed, patrriotic, less-educated ones.

College kids -- mostly liberal -- sit on the sidelines, on their hands (I'm being polite) and no longer protest the wars because a) they don't have to worry about being drafted and b) the wars are being prosecuted by a liberal president, which makes it all okay.

In brief, poor and working kids are still "fighting and dying for the policies of the educated and rich." What has changed is the those very educated and rich who are safe, happy, and free of responsiblity now constitute the left end of the political spectrum instead of the rght.

Hypocrisy still reigns. On veterans day, 2010.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:45 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't care at all what religion TheWon really is but here is a story that does more to convince me that he could be a Muslim and has been for a very long time. That is, unless this teacher of 29 years is just a outright liar.

Barack Obama joined Muslim prayers at school, teacher says | The Australian
Stop the presses. Finally you have evidence that may convince you that Obama could possibly have a different religion than you do. What the hell is this country coming to when everyone doesn't believe the same fairytale as someone living in Bumfunk Kansas. Let's start building the camps and the gas chambers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies