Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 07:11 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
NOTHING will ever make same sex couples Husband and wife no matter how much you want it to be.
Of course not. They are husband and husband and wife and wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:18 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What's to stop two straight friends from mooching off of each others health benefits?
What's to stop two straight friends who are male and female doing that right now? What does this have to do with same-sex marriage?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:27 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
Default Are lesbians, or gay men more accepted in society?

Quote:
The law is the law.
I don't care if the divorce rate was 90%.
Gay people are not banned from getting married, therefore there is no discrimination involved.
Why not game the system?
Gay men marry gay women. I'm sure it's happening. There are many sham marriages.
I do think that homosexuals are more accepted in society today in general than say 15 years ago. But that doesn't mean that gay marriage is going to be accepted.

Just the two words together, "gay marriage" is an oxymoron. It's like the saying the "living dead."

Old 03-24-2011, 08:43 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
There a some recent studies that show that gays and lesbians think a little differently to straight people and supposedly have (on average) better communication skills.
Perhaps having people being able to "think outside the box" of the heterosexual "norm" is an advantage to a population.
Nature loves diversity.
I have heard that gays/bisexuals/lesbians are better at things like learning foreign languages. While I don't think there is any scientific consensus, it does anecdotally seem like gays tend to be on average more intelligent. While not evidence, one of my best friends is openly gay, and is literally a genius - currently studying math/chemistry at MIT. His sister, not so much.

Obviously only one example and really means nothing, but it seems like the way gays' brains are wired might have something to with improved reasoning/communication/intelligence.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:44 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,983 times
Wow this thread really blew up!!

Can I ask the straight people...why so much disdain? If you don't like or understand something, why not just leave it alone? Everyone deserves the same rights and considerations as anyone else...gay, straight, black, white etc.

And in my opinion, yes, we are here to reproduce and continue our race. But then based on the arguments I've heard, can't homosexuality be quated with a guy wearing a condom or a girl taking birth control pills...in this case, the straight couple isn't attempting to continue our race either!!!

What's the big deal. Whether homosexuality is a choice or not we all have to tolerate each other. I may not like that you dye your hair pink, but whatever, it's your choice and I have no rights to infringe on your right to make that choice. And, if you were born with a weird looking face I didn't care to look at, what rights would I have to make any kind of comments to you or pass any sort of judgment. It is what it is...

What scares me is all the people on here that consider homosexuality something completely horrid...and then what if your kid comes out to you...then what?

Old 03-24-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Yes.
Did changing marriage to allow mixed race couples to marry open Pandora's box? I must have missed armageddon when that happened.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
If there is nothing wrong with your behavior, and no shame in admitting it, what's the big deal?

There are many laws on the books that protect you.
Like what? Gays can still be fired from jobs in many states for being gay because there is no federal statute protecting them like race/gender.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I do think that homosexuals are more accepted in society today in general than say 15 years ago. But that doesn't mean that gay marriage is going to be accepted.

Just the two words together, "gay marriage" is an oxymoron. It's like the saying the "living dead."
50 years ago, "interracial marriage" was an oxymoron too. It was an abomination before God to mix the races.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:56 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
What scares me is all the people on here that consider homosexuality something completely horrid...and then what if your kid comes out to you...then what?
These are the "loving parents" that would disown a gay child, or send them to Exodus. And when their gay teen harms themself, they blame "the gay" and not their bigotry. You know, the god-fearing family values crowd!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
50 years ago, "interracial marriage" was an oxymoron too. It was an abomination before God to mix the races.
I can't even debate someone who believes interracial marriage and gay marriage are similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies