Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:21 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memberX View Post
I was there. It happened.

Why would I make something like that up?

I have deep feelings on this subject because a very good friend of mine killed himself because his family disowned him because of his homosexuality.

Even within my own family, gay relatives have been disowned.

But once again, you probably don't believe me. I'm not here to prove anything to anybody.
I have 36 1st cousins on my mothers side.

Blue collar to the bone.

2 are gay and are as accepted as the rest.

3 have gay children, not one has been shunned by the family.

And there are some gay grandchildren in the mix.

My son had a VERY gay roommate (4 guys shared an apartment) for his 1st two years in college. They remain close friends, and he has spent time with us during breaks.

People who "disown" other people, especially family members because of their sexual orientation are just plain ignorant and, IMO, have no heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
Do homosexuals even know the difference between tolerance and acceptance? The two are not interchangeable yet the homosexual fallaciously clings to a belief that somehow they are. It is understandable for the homosexual to desire acceptance by society but should not be surprised, offended, or astonished that many actually put up with it rather than approve.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:55 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Do homosexuals even know the difference between tolerance and acceptance? The two are not interchangeable yet the homosexual fallaciously clings to a belief that somehow they are. It is understandable for the homosexual to desire acceptance by society but should not be surprised, offended, or astonished that many actually put up with it rather than approve.
Yeah, but your side very often isn't even willing to tolerate or "put up" with it. Passing discriminatory laws taking away the civil rights of homosexuals isn't tolerance - it's not "putting up" with it. It's irrational, bigoted, fearful suppression.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:05 AM

659 posts, read 1,758,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Yeah, but your side very often isn't even willing to tolerate or "put up" with it. Passing discriminatory laws taking away the civil rights of homosexuals isn't tolerance - it's not "putting up" with it. It's irrational, bigoted, fearful suppression.
Aaaaaaalso not so sure that referring to another human being as "the homosexual" is really advancing the cause of tolerance OR acceptance. Kinda sounds like you don't want to catch the gay.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:27 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
I agree that lesbians are more accepted than gays. I guess it has to do with the sexual practices people - knowingly or not - associate with it. But also of course with the old notion that girls/women are more innocent and "clean at heart".

Old 03-25-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I agree that lesbians are more accepted than gays. I guess it has to do with the sexual practices people - knowingly or not - associate with it. But also of course with the old notion that girls/women are more innocent and "clean at heart".
I think it has more to do with our societal views of gender and masculinity/femininity.

In general, our society does not tolerate feminine men, yet we do tolerate masculine women. Nobody cares too much if their little girl prefers shorts to dresses, would rather play with hot wheels than barbies, enjoys sports more than tea parties, etc. However, if your little boy likes putting on his mom's dress and makeup and playing with dolls, the parents usually force him into sports, throw away the dolls and replace them with toy guns, and rush him to a doctor to see what's wrong.

We tolerate somewhat masculine girls and women; we vilify somewhat feminine boys and men.

Couple that with the fact that many people who don't interact with gay people believe the stereotype that gay men are all swooshing, prancing, girly-men who despise "manly things," dress up in women's clothing, sip wine, and have season tickets to the ballet.

To them that's a gay man, and a man like that is simply wrong and unacceptable.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:50 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
I don't see that lesbians are more accepted than gays. How so? Do you have examples? I think that the acceptance level is pretty equal for both.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I think it has more to do with our societal views of gender and masculinity/femininity.

In general, our society does not tolerate feminine men, yet we do tolerate masculine women. Nobody cares too much if their little girl prefers shorts to dresses, would rather play with hot wheels than barbies, enjoys sports more than tea parties, etc. However, if your little boy likes putting on his mom's dress and makeup and playing with dolls, the parents usually force him into sports, throw away the dolls and replace them with toy guns, and rush him to a doctor to see what's wrong.

We tolerate somewhat masculine girls and women; we vilify somewhat feminine boys and men.

Couple that with the fact that many people who don't interact with gay people believe the stereotype that gay men are all swooshing, prancing, girly-men who despise "manly things," dress up in women's clothing, sip wine, and have season tickets to the ballet.

To them that's a gay man, and a man like that is simply wrong and unacceptable.
Could be. Makes me wonder, how are emos treated in the US?

Old 03-25-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I don't see that lesbians are more accepted than gays. How so? Do you have examples? I think that the acceptance level is pretty equal for both.
For instance I know more swearwords for gays than for lesbians, actually I don't know any for lesbians.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
For instance I know more swearwords for gays than for lesbians, actually I don't know any for lesbians.
You rarely hear of a lesbian getting gay-bashed, but if you were to scour local news around the US you can find examples of it happening to gay men every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies