Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Actually, this is not about school lunch, it's about limiting the amount of sweets that are served at holiday parties. It's still not that serious. Palin brought the kids sugar cookies just to spite those who think that all this sugar is bad. SMH...

Sarah Palin Decries Proposed School Nutrition Regulation as “Nanny State Run Amok”
It all goes back to each individual school district's wellness policy, which should be comprehensive enough to include what can be purchased at lunch, from vending machines, at school parties, birthday treats, special rewards, bake sales, etc. It's my opinion that school grounds should be completely free of all junk food items, make them junk food free zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 04:42 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
1) Coke/Pepsi machines
Principals love them. Off the books income and the kids will pay top dollar for the product. Ours are reloaded three times a week. At least the soft drink slots are. The water and "healthy" juice drinks were replaced last week, they'd expired.
2) snack machines
Same reason as #1. The granola doesn't get touched but, damn, the M&Ms and chips are emptied in a day.
3) getting rid of recess in elementary
Not so much budgetary issues but standardized testing issues. PE cuts into intructional time, just like music and art do.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:22 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Why is this a government's problem. Why do you believe we need the government to go in and tell what they can give to the students. That's a parent's job. If the food is really bad, the parents can go to PTA, call the principle, call the superintendent, etc. Why do you feel the need to government to tell you what you can put into your mouth?

What do you mean, in another decade or two, you will have to get permission from the government just to eat. Call government certified food.
No, obesity is not the government's problem. When I was growing up, I had Chick-Fil-A sandwiches, McDonald's happy meals, and ate junk food on special occasions. Guess what? I am not overweight and have actually been too skinny on various occasions growing up. My mom taught me that junk food was only for special occasions. It is the parent's job to teach proper eating habits. A school or government can not replace a parent.

My school regularly served pizza, hamburgers, chicken nuggets. I am not fat. Imagine that??? I had gym three days a week. When I was teaching, my students had gym about 15 minutes a week. Half of gym class was just the kids sitting and listening to safety regulations because the school was worried about some liberal suing.

Parents and students can petition for better lunches. I actually had a group of students who wanted healthier lunches. They submitted reports to the school board and the school has a salad bar now. Americans can solve problems WITHOUT the government and should solve problems without the government.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:26 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,367,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Give me a break.

Citing school nutrition regulations, Palin claims PA is a "nanny state run amok."

Fighting the good fight as always-- With the growing obesity epidemic-- and the known links between good nutrition and positive behavior and achievement in school-- it seems like Palin is just stirring up controversy to keep her name in the news. She does it well, and the mass media is complicit in the idiocy.

Just to respond to some of the ridiculous responses this will get-- No, I am not afraid of her. No, limiting in sweets in school, does not prevent parents being able to parent...
The Federal government ought to find more appropriate matters to occupy itself with than school lunches.

The First Lady needs to stay home and deal with her own family's less than sterling health habits.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:46 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,971 times
Funny that the same people who would like to restrict food stamp purchases to rice and beans are up in arms over the school lunch program wanting to feed children healthy lunches.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Our schools removed most soda machines years ago even though they were money makers for various groups on campus. It doesn't really matter to me since IMO school don't need to provide any food. But if they do, it should probably be somewhat healthy and not pure junk. Kids can get junk on their own time. But I'm not hardcore about the "healthy" part either, a hot dog and a piece of fruit is ok with me.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:31 PM

1,013 posts, read 909,946 times
Hmm. I actually have to commend Palin for a few of her comments this time. But I still don't trust her.

Anyway you are free to do to your body what you want. Big deal. Anyway let people decide what they want. Health food in schools and if you want to buy it your choice. Done. Kids love bake sales imagine why and they bring is decent money for schools.
:P

Also Palin made a comment on FED. Imagine that someone other than Ron Paul speaking about it. Finally. Seems she gets it now. Lets hope its not fake.

But if she is genuine hopefully she will also comment on being against wars and military waste.

But even then I can't trust her yet on these issues. Since I know she is just saying these things to get attention.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, I happen to agree with Palin on this issue. You obviously haven't been following this, or paying any attention. You haven't got a clue about what you are talking about.

Get the damn government out of the school lunch business!!!!

The kids can't even have french fries??? No chocolate milk? And that's only part of it.

Give me a break!!! This is Moooo-shell's little scheme. These people can go to hell, as far as I'm concerned!!

Palin is right on!! Go Sarah!!!
At some point, intelligent adults needs to be the ones to decide what foods should be in the schools which, BTW, were not created to be all encompassing food service industries. We offer food in schools as a social service and in doing so we should provide good things, not crap. There is no reason to put everything in schools so kids can have a choice, that's not the issue nor should it be. It's a matter of doing social good and doing good by the kids. The devil is in the details though because whats OK with me might not be OK for someone else, which is why there needs to be some discussion and consensus.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,497 times
Obesity has become a major problem with kids. So stupid sarah is defending vending machines in school that have nothing but chips, and the junkiest of junk foods. She'll defend soda machines in the schools. They do pay big bucks for football stadiums and sports.

She defends the fact that most schools feed kids the most low nutrition, high calorie food. Pure junk. Yeah, let's toss those kids a piece of pizza that came out of a box. Chicken 'nugget' mystery meat. Great. High calories and low nutrition. Who would have ever guessed that Sarah Palin would defend dumbing down the kids while fattening them up?

This woman is such an idiot. She just gets worse the more she opens her mouth. Yes, I'm so jealous of her, heheheheh.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:43 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,370,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
quote:" it seems like Palin is just stirring up controversy to keep her name in the news. She does it well, and the mass media is complicit in the idiocy."

Although I am not a general conspiracy theorist, I do believe the mainstream media determines "the news" and funny, isn't it, that now the Repubs have won a couple of seats, all of a sudden GW Bush and Palin are totally newsworthy again?

One might think there is a major conspiracy to rewrite the public image of these buffoons....

Have you seen the commercial about about Sarah Palin's Alaska- I almost fell of my chair laughing..... hard to imagine taking this woman seriously- and we all thought Bush was an idiot- she'd put him under the table.

"why can't we just be happy with tranquility.. gosh darn it...." or something like that.....

After four years of complete failure, perhaps you could list a few Democrats we should take seriously at this point.

I'll wait...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies