Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:09 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Only an idiot would buy a Government Motors car. They should give Americans cars FREE since our money bailed them out.

GO FORD!!

I must disagree with you! I drive a Landrover BUT, I use my Chevy 2500 HD when I tow my horse......nothing comes between a girl, her horse, and her CHEVY!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:16 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually pretty much all companies have debt.

Why do good news make you angry? Would you be happier if they had posted a loss?
I would have been happy if the FAILED company had gone into bankrupsey, and split back into multiple companies like they once were

chevy, olds, pont, buick, saturn all were SINGULAR companies at one time

you have heard of the RE Olds speedwagon...the RE was Ranson Eli Olds...he formed two companies oldmobile, and the reo

here is a question....why should we (the taxpayer) be bailing out FAILED companies and banks........?

Old 11-10-2010, 07:18 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
funny , they had a supposed 2 billion 'profit' yet they have a 11 billion DEBT

and rewmember 61% of gm is owned by the treasury
Annnnnnd GM pays no taxes....wouldn't you also?

Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Only a neophyte would think one quarter of profit is an indicator of anything meaningful.
It's even more meaningless when juxtaposed against GM's overall debt liability.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
If the government dumped $22BILLION into my business I could probably eek out $2BILLION in profits too.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:31 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
I have no idea why any American would see this as bad news.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
I would have been happy if the FAILED company had gone into bankrupsey, and split back into multiple companies like they once were

you have heard of the RE Olds speedwagon...the RE was Ranson Eli Olds...he formed two companies oldmobile, and the reo

here is a question....why should we (the taxpayer) be bailing out FAILED companies and banks........?

The template for bailing out GM and Chrysler (again!) was the first Chrysler bailout back during the Carter administration. The argument then was that the automotive industry was so much the center of the American economic engine, and that so many tax-paying citizens would lose their jobs, that it was too important to fail.

I disagreed with that then and I disagree with it now. However, it must be said the Chrysler paid back those loans early, with interest, and once again became a profitiable concern. The downside is that it's now returned to its former position, mostly because of bad management (like GM) and the taxpayers must bail it out again.

Once such a thing is done, it quickly becomes the norm and that's what we're dealing with today. Rushing in to bail out the automotive industry today is just a continuation of a history of bailing out failing concerns which has been done repeatedly since the Carter adminstration. The Reagan and first Bush administrations bailed out banks and savings and loans and the second Bush adminsration bailed out banks and investment companies, as well as what's been done since Obama took office.

Whether or not it's a good idea depends upon who you ask, but the reality is that it has become a fact of life for us all and isn't likely to go away any time soon.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Only an idiot would buy a Government Motors car. They should give Americans cars FREE since our money bailed them out.

GO FORD!!
Well, since we've fought two wars over oil with American taxpayer money, i want free gas too.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:29 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:

I don't think we should be bailing them out either, but they were bailed out nontheless by both Bush and Obama. What is the point of being angry at GM, and hoping that they fail, and take their employees down with them? That's the mindset I don't get. I can't explain the hatred toward GM, as if they did something horrible to US.

Do you hate Lockheed Martin too?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:32 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I have no idea why any American would see this as bad news.
I guess they prefer "Made in China" lable over "Made in USA". Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies