Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:07 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
ROFL @ the income tax Donald....below... hilarious.

YouTube - Donald Duck(banned cartoon) The spirit of '43
Libertarians would hate Disney for that cartoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 03:25 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
My grandfather took me to the movie theater to see Song of the South as a kid. Uncle Remus and Brer Rabbit will always be a good memory for me.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:15 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
This video makes it sound like money was not withheld form paychecks for income taxes back in the 40's. Was that hte case? I would love to go back ot that system where everyone had their full paycheck and then got a big bill on March 15th. It would make Americans wake up to the real tax burden in this country.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:24 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
My grandfather took me to the movie theater to see Song of the South as a kid. Uncle Remus and Brer Rabbit will always be a good memory for me.
My Aunt took me. It went over my head at age 7. Time has enlightened me a bit.

But the crows in Dumbo were always obvious.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
You could probably make the same case about the Looney Tunes as well! Oh well! They're still funny! Laughed my a** off watching them as a kid, and still do as an adult! Even my kid likes the Looney Tunes! People are way too uptight! As another poster said, people need to lighten up. All of us stereotype to a degree! I'm part German, and part Polish! You don't think I hear the Polish jokes? I laugh! And Hell, I tell them myself! All in good fun! It's all how you approach it.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:30 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Liberal regressives always looking for new ways to be victimized, offended, and outraged.

Personally, I love Disney cartoons but I love Bugs Bunny cartoons more.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:30 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Went to Walt Disney World last year. Had a blast. Oh yeah, racist cartoons. Right!

The 9 Most Racist Disney Characters | Cracked.com

Don't click the link if you can't handle some swear words. We're talking F-bombs. A few F-bombs actually. Cracked is ummm, yeah, they cuss a lot. Hilarious article though. Some of it, I'd heard before, like Song of the South. Did not know about the Little Mermaid, though.

Speaking of hating....heh. So now that eveyone know's about Disney's sordid past, which one of us is gonna start the picket line first? Down with Disney! Down with Racist Organizations! YEEEeeeeUURRRGHHHH!!!
Almost all the videos have been removed. How come peopel still use stupid Youtube for anything? THey will remove and ban videos at the drop of a hat. Use other video sites people!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:41 AM

37,177 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Went to Walt Disney World last year. Had a blast. Oh yeah, racist cartoons. Right!

Don't click the link if you can't handle some swear words. We're talking F-bombs. A few F-bombs actually. Cracked is ummm, yeah, they cuss a lot. Hilarious article though. Some of it, I'd heard before, like Song of the South. Did not know about the Little Mermaid, though.

Speaking of hating....heh. So now that eveyone know's about Disney's sordid past, which one of us is gonna start the picket line first? Down with Disney! Down with Racist Organizations! YEEEeeeeUURRRGHHHH!!!
"Song of the South" was based on Joel Chandler Harris' "Uncle Remus" stories. They are satire at it's finest dealing with the black/white issues during Reconstruction, and are in no way racist, nor was Harris.

It's like "Huckleberry Finn", which has been called racist because of the use of the N word. In the day it was written, the word was in current usage. Huck Finn is arguably the least racist book ever produced. Go read the passage where Huck decide that he would rather go to hell than betray his friend Jim.

All things in context, please.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:

"Song of the South" was a great kid's film. However, it was a product of its time and I would say it IS racist by today's standards. When I saw it in the theaters as a kid, I didn't think anything of it, nor did anyone else- different times.

However, like some of Mark Twain's novels, we must evaluate the time in which a piece was written and evaluate it in that perspective.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:26 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
and what's so funny is that nobody made a big deal of this mess when we were kids (they should have). disney has probably f**ked my generation up. as a child, you have no idea that you're watching the most overtly racist entertainment that ever made its way into the 80s/90s

does anyone know if the black crows have been edited out of current versions of dumbo, or atleast made more culturally sensitive? i'm going to look that up
I pondered that back in the 90s. I saw it on tv on a New York station and they were gone. Then I saw it on TV again here in DC and they were still there. I guess it depends.

Look, most whites see that or a character like the black maid in Its A Wonderful Life and know the score. We laugh at it, but we are laughing at the absurdity of it. We know its not a fair representation.

I watch a lot of old shows and movies. I have taken to noting when blacks are portrayed seriously. There is a trickle in the 40s, increases in the late 50s and hits a pinnacle in the late 60s/early 70s. Cop shows of that era almost always feature white criminals with blacks being higher up officials or just normal people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies