Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 04:33 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Not just Disney. We were raised with this disgraceful entertainment.

YouTube - RACISM IN CHILDREN'S CARTOONS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
All I will say is that no one has the right to tell others what they should or shouldn't be offended by, especially when it concerns a specific group of people that you don't belong to.

It's sad that in 2011, people still don't see what was racist about Song of the South.

"You mean yous leavin' y'old Briar Patch, da place where you was bone n raised?...dat I is!"

Give me a break

Old 04-27-2011, 05:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
All I will say is that no one has the right to tell others what they should or shouldn't be offended by, especially when it concerns a specific group of people that you don't belong to.

It's sad that in 2011, people still don't see what was racist about Song of the South.

"You mean yous leavin' y'old Briar Patch, da place where you was bone n raised?...dat I is!"

Give me a break
complaints about the content of cartoons has been around since the 70s. bugs bunny and other cartoons were too violent. now people are looking back and saying they are racist now as well. as for your quote algreen, i know many black people that speak in that very same manner, and i know others that dont. i know white people that speak in that manner as well, most are from the south where that is common.

we can look back and using the standards of today make all kinds of claims about anything being racist, homophobic, etc. was it? maybe, but most people laugh it off as silly entertainment, like it was meant to be.

in life we can go around hating everything, and being offended by everything, but in the end we only hurt ourselves by doing so. so go ahead and be offended all you want, but i suggest that it is better to pick your battles wisely, rather than be offended all the time.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:23 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
complaints about the content of cartoons has been around since the 70s. bugs bunny and other cartoons were too violent. now people are looking back and saying they are racist now as well. as for your quote algreen, i know many black people that speak in that very same manner, and i know others that dont. i know white people that speak in that manner as well, most are from the south where that is common.

we can look back and using the standards of today make all kinds of claims about anything being racist, homophobic, etc. was it? maybe, but most people laugh it off as silly entertainment, like it was meant to be.

in life we can go around hating everything, and being offended by everything, but in the end we only hurt ourselves by doing so. so go ahead and be offended all you want, but i suggest that it is better to pick your battles wisely, rather than be offended all the time.
Pointing out the blatant racism of SOTS hasn't "hurt" me in any way. It's racist and I'm speaking my mind about it. It still has historical relevance, and I never said that it should be banned. But I'm not going to hide my opinion simply because someone thinks "we" need to just get over it.

I would have no problem with it being released in stores, but my only concern is that it wouldn't be viewed in the context that it should be, and those ignorant parents will pop it in the DVD player for their children as just another harmless, innocent enchanted Disney flick. Too many kids will be under the impression that there's nothing wrong with the way blacks were portrayed in this film.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:25 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
Quote:
and what's so funny is that nobody made a big deal of this mess when we were kids (they should have). disney has probably f**ked my generation up. as a child, you have no idea that you're watching the most overtly racist entertainment that ever made its way into the 80s/90s

does anyone know if the black crows have been edited out of current versions of dumbo, or atleast made more culturally sensitive? i'm going to look that up

ahhh i remember the crows....i didnt think nothing of it..they talked that jubilee slang

Old 04-28-2011, 01:43 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
What about that black maid with the broom in "Tom and Jerry", the one you only saw her legs and bedroom slippers?
Seriously, what about "Gone With The Wind"? If the memorable scenes with Pork, Mammy, and Prissy were edited out, what would be left?

Old 04-28-2011, 01:57 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
the donald duck nazi cartoon is just showing the absurdity of Nazi Germany's policies
Yep. There are some weirdo people out there who actually said/beieve that cartoon proves Walt Disney was a secret Nazi sympathizer.

I kid you not. Even though it's blatantly... anti-Nazi. It's like people saying Obama is a secret muslim right after he goes to church.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:15 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
It's easy to say people are being overly sensitive when you are White but talk to minorities not just Blacks but Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans etc what it was like growing up in the past. A lot of Whites were just oblivious to what was going on. I'm Hispanic and when I grew up, the only Hispanics portrayed on television were pot smokers and drug dealers. It wasn't until L.A. Law in which Jimmy Smits was a lawyer on the show and not the funny janitor.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:05 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Wow. You'd think color was invented with color television...

Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:

Give me a break
I believe I said as much. Shall I go out and find all the copies I can and then burn them?

If it makes you feel better, my son has a cartoon where they go to Ireland. Three fellas come out of a pub happily singing "O Ireland." The implication is clear and I am half Irish.

I just laugh it off. Its absurd, like the stuff in Song of the South. Granted, blacks had it much, much tougher, so perhaps laughing it off is not realistic. Fair enough. But as I told you before, most whites know the score and do not see Uncle Remus as anything more than a stereotype.

btw- Frank Zappa makes fun of the Remus stereotype in one of his songs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies