Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:00 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
How so?

An Associate's degree would guarantee you an employable skill. That's the entire point of an Associate's degree. Its possession sets you miles above an ordinary H.S. diploma, which guarantees you nothing, but perhaps that you're potentially literate.

A plethora of Bachelor's degrees within our country would mean that we would become a highly educated and thus, a quite knowledgeable society with greater potential for both future scientific and social development.

Employers would have a much more sophisticated pool of candidates from which to select. Greater emphasis of qualification could be placed upon other aspects of personal character, besides one's level of education.

If that's what you mean by reduction of the value of a degree, then that quite possibly might very well be a good thing!

Also, since the cost of education will be drastically reduced and practically the entire population will become members of the workforce, advanced degrees will also become much more prevalent.

BTW

If by "authoritarian", you mean everyone being forced to register for governmental employment. Well registration will only be required of those who can't afford to wait while seeking employment from a private employer. That unfortunately, would be the majority of graduates.

If you come from a rich family and you don't have to work, then as long as your individual taxes are paid, you can continue to live life carefree!

Society should only be concerned about all its citizens "welfare", and NOT solely healthcare....
If Associates degrees start being handed out like Halloween candy to every HS graduate, they're not going to be seen that way for much longer. They're only considered proof of training in a field because they actually have to be earned.

And we're already at the point where bachelor's degrees are devalued. Except employers respond not by being impressed at all the well-adjusted talent, but by assuming the standards to earn one have cheapened, so they move on to requiring master's degrees instead.

Well, that, and minimum wage McJobs would eventually require bachelor's degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 12:34 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There is an income gap, as well. You know that.

Income is strongly correlated with educational achievement. You know that, as well.
Income is related to field of employment. Those who enter higher paying positions make more. You know that as well. People don't always want to get paid a higher salary and work a job they hate. As I noted earlier, I'm not jealous of rich people - I pity them because oftentimes they are unhappy. I'm middle income and I have some real estate assets. I have no desire to make a whole bunch of money. I have enough to live on comfortably. I also don't want to work in a job that I don't enjoy just for money. Money isn't everything. I honestly do consider myself to be "rich" compared to what I was as a child and younger adult when I actually was technically in poverty.

I also have no desire to even compare myself as a black person to white people. I believe that economic and educational studies/reports on black America should compare us to our parents and grandparents and not to white people. I also believe that black people should focus on being business owners or employed in a job/career they enjoy and not have a goal to only make money. The older I get the more I see that stuff that many people, especially white Americans such as yourself, see as important, really aren't important in the whole grand scheme of life. You and others often cite "culture" as an issue in pertaining to black people and IMO we should fully object to completely buying into the culture of greed that is rampant amongst all Americans and especially portrayed in rich/wealthy Americans, who are mostly white. Greed for money and power IMO is destructive and it is better to have enough to live comfortably and leave your kids a fully paid for place they can crash in if necessary when they grow up. That is my goal - to make enough money to pay my bills and go on vacation 2-4 weeks out of the year, spend time with my family and enjoy life. Not compete with white people in money making lol.

Also over the past 5 years wages have increased for blacks and hispanics on a percentage basis more than other Americans. Hopefully Trump's economic policies going into effect this year won't halt the growth.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:06 PM

1,704 posts, read 748,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Truth be told they don’t pay their individual taxes, because theyre in trust funds, offshore accounts, special accounts and all the the little tax loopholes that the rich pay accountants to figure out.

Companies like Amazon and Apple have taken all kinds of steps to avoid massive taxes.
Precisely....

-And that's one issue (along with a few others) that needs to be sharply addressed!

Old 04-10-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If Associates degrees start being handed out like Halloween candy to every HS graduate, they're not going to be seen that way for much longer. They're only considered proof of training in a field because they actually have to be earned.

And we're already at the point where bachelor's degrees are devalued. Except employers respond not by being impressed at all the well-adjusted talent, but by assuming the standards to earn one have cheapened, so they move on to requiring master's degrees instead.

Well, that, and minimum wage McJobs would eventually require bachelor's degrees.
No Sir!

A HS diploma would be more like Halloween candy in comparison to an Associate's degree.

An Associate's degree, a Bachelor's degree, a Master's degree, etc...They all tend to lose value, the more popularly prevalent they become. It's just like anything else, "supply and demand"... The greater the supply, the less the demand. Minute demand reflects decreased value.

This is the very reason that I once advocated for completely dispensing with the granting of a high school diploma, in preference to credit hours, without age restrictions. To this extent, all paper degrees would get reduced to electronic credit hours. This then will completely eliminate the stigma of "dropout" status and one could receive the equivalent of a HS Associate's degree at age 14 yrs or 20 yrs...

I see no reason whatever, that a Master's degree equivalent should NOT also be granted tuition free provided that GPA's are maintained at 3.5 or higher...

Old 04-10-2018, 01:42 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,559,342 times
Why are short people envious of tall people?

Why are fat people envious of thin people?

Old 04-10-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Why are short people envious of tall people?

Why are fat people envious of thin people?
Why are the hungry envious of those dining?

Why are the thirsty envious of those drinking at the well?

Old 04-10-2018, 02:06 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

Why are so many envious?
I dunno maybe they are sick of being screwed over by said rich people off shoring wages not keeping pace with inflation etc.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:00 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why do so many people (including a lot of people on this board) worry about what other people have?

I don't give a flip about how much money Michael Dell and Bill Gates have. And could care less how they spend it.

Why are so many envious?
Because they have more money than I do!

Old 04-10-2018, 04:02 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
I have a bigger question.
Why do the same questions continue to be recycled for the last 20 years???

Even when such questions have known answers...answers which have been obvious since the beginning of time.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:02 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I dunno maybe they are sick of being screwed over by said rich people off shoring wages not keeping pace with inflation etc.
Rich people are going to hell when they die just like everybody else. You can have a word with them all then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies