Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this protected speech?
Disgusting speech nonetheless protected by the 1st Amendment 13 72.22%
Speech so disgusting it's constitutional to criminalize it 5 27.78%
This speech isn't disgusting - I might enjoy reading it 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 05:32 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times

Advertisements

I am all for censorship in this case, this book should never have been made available.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jack...ntroversy.html

A quote from the author - his reasoning behind creating this book.

Quote:
This is my attempt to make pedophile situations safer for those juveniles that find themselves involved in them, by establishing certian rules for these adults to follow. I hope to achieve this by appealing to the better nature of pedosexuals, with hope that their doing so will result in less hatred and perhaps liter sentences should they ever be caught.
Do you think this book should be available on the web to purchase at Amazon.com?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 03:21 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
The author Phillip Greaves has finally been arrested for mailing his book to Florida.

Quote:
The man behind a controversial book considered a "how-to" guide for pedophiles was arrested in Colorado, officials in Florida said Monday. The self-published author was arrested in Pueblo, Colorado, on a Florida felony warrant after undercover detectives in Polk County purchased and received a copy of the book through the mail. He will have to be extradited to Florida to face charges.
Man who wrote 'how-to' for pedophiles arrested - CNN.com

Old 12-20-2010, 03:23 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
The sickos who download this book should be arrested.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:32 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
The sickos who download this book should be arrested.
For what?

Old 12-20-2010, 03:46 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Well, as long as our excuse for a government (and various church 'charities') see fit to import people from places where that sort of thing is ingrained in the culture, then maybe it's not such a bad thing for them to have a little handbook. I'm being sarcastic, here. Neither one is a very good idea.

But as long as we're importing people who still buy little girls as 'brides', and other people who see underage boys dressed in drag as exciting... Well, importing perps seems a far worse idea than giving those perps an instruction manual.

But why does America need either? Pardon my old outdated Valley Girl lingo, but Ew ew ew ew ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2010, 05:37 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Well, as long as our excuse for a government (and various church 'charities') see fit to import people from places where that sort of thing is ingrained in the culture, then maybe it's not such a bad thing for them to have a little handbook. I'm being sarcastic, here. Neither one is a very good idea.

But as long as we're importing people who still buy little girls as 'brides', and other people who see underage boys dressed in drag as exciting... Well, importing perps seems a far worse idea than giving those perps an instruction manual.

But why does America need either? Pardon my old outdated Valley Girl lingo, but Ew ew ew ew ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

And you could say that Valley Girl Lingo, however many times you want!

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:24 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,533 times
What exactly is this guy being arrested for? Actually, molesting a child? Writing a book about child molestation? Distributing the book?

As much as the book's topic disgusts me, I feel it could be a violation of this man's rights of free speech for the State of Florida to arrest him.

This man is an American citizen and he still has his Constitutional rights.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
What exactly is this guy being arrested for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd paragraph from the link
"You cannot engage or depict children in a harmful relationship," said Polk County, Florida, Sheriff Grady Judd as he described the Florida obscenity statute that officials used to charge Phillip Greaves with distribution of obscene material depicting minors engaged in harmful conduct.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:56 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I am all for censorship in this case, this book should never have been made available.

'Pedophile's Guide' stirs Amazon controversy | Jacket Copy | Los Angeles Times

A quote from the author - his reasoning behind creating this book.

Do you think this book should be available on the web to purchase at Amazon.com?
Absolutely not. I don't generally care for regulation, but things of this nature are harmful to children who don't have a say in the matter.

I have boycotted Amazon for a few years now, since I found out they sell materials encouraging dog and cockfighting (obviously it encourages this illegal and disgusting torture of animals, who also don't have a say in the matter, to give Amazon a profit). But here yet another reason to not patronize this company, perhaps an even better one.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
What exactly is this guy being arrested for? Actually, molesting a child? Writing a book about child molestation? Distributing the book?

As much as the book's topic disgusts me, I feel it could be a violation of this man's rights of free speech for the State of Florida to arrest him.

This man is an American citizen and he still has his Constitutional rights.
I absolutely agree.

The Sheriff who ordered his arrest has a history of going after people for "obscenity". This is just another example of him going after someone who offends his personal beliefs. He's wasting taxpayer dollars - that's for sure. I have little doubt that the guy will be released. Yes, the subject matter is offensive to many, but I would really hate to see someone sentenced to prison for writing a fictitious book that harmed no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies