Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 02:24 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I am a liberal leaning moderate, and I would support the repeal of the current health care reform package-- if it's replaced by either a single payer plan or plan with a government option. I am a small business owner. I am also a cancer survivor. No insurance plan would touch me.

Want to know how much colon cancer costs? Sorry, a health care savings account wouldn't cover it. It cost more than I had in my retirement. I have insurance (state of Connecticut offers group rates for the self-employed) and my out of pocket was still enough to bankrupt most people.

One session of chemo was billed out over $20,000.
Why must you people try and pass on this BS that you will go bankrupt. You WON'T! That is the biggest fear mongering lie out there. If you can't afford $20,000 for a medical procedure, they don't take everything you own. You simply setup a payment plan with them with what you can afford. You may pay until the day you die, but you're NOT going to go bankrupt like you guys keep saying. Besides, if you're poor you get coverage with either medicaid or charity care. Now don't even go to that old tired out excuse that if you use charity care, everyone else's premiums will go up to pay for it. It's the same thing as medicaid or single payer since the money comes from YOU to pay for the poor in those prgrams as well. Everyone still pays the same except in one instance you might pay a little more in your premiums, the other scenario you pay more in taxes. Either way you are on the hook for paying for the poor no matter which way you go.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:28 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
They are moving away from providing services and are increasing taxes to pay for the little they do provide. Even the vaunted German system only covers 90% of the people for a 16% tax!

Germany cuts health care spending, raises premiums

"The decision comes after months of wrangling within Merkel's coalition over a fundamental overhaul of the system and after a series of political blows to the chancellor and plummeting support in the polls.
While government officials said Tuesday's decision was an achievement reached harmoniously, the opposition immediately criticized the reform saying it basically consists of everybody paying more.
Germany's once highly regarded mandatory health insurance covers about 72 million people, or 90 percent of the population. It has already gone through a series of reforms to stabilize its [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]financial[/color][/color] base. Costs are rising swiftly because of ever more sophisticated treatments and an aging population."
Which still makes it less costly as a percentage of GDP than the American healtcare system.

Healhcare as % of GDP
% Of GDP > Expenditure, Total statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

United States - 15.4%
Germany - 10.6%

Healthcare expenditure per capita
Expenditure Per Capita current us$ by country. Definition, graph and map.
United States - $6,096.2
Germany - $3,521.4

Old 11-12-2010, 02:37 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Which still makes it less costly as a percentage of GDP than the American healtcare system.

Healhcare as % of GDP
% Of GDP > Expenditure, Total statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

United States - 15.4%
Germany - 10.6%

Healthcare expenditure per capita
Expenditure Per Capita current us$ by country. Definition, graph and map.
United States - $6,096.2
Germany - $3,521.4
And they still can't afford it. Of course you can lower costs if you don't provide services.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:40 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Insurance premiums go up because Insurance executives make them go up.

They were going up B E F O R E Obama did anything.

Republican did , and will do , nothing.
You cannot add a few million people to being covered by insurance that are not paying their way without SOMEONE else paying the bill. Guess who? Business is not in the welfare business! That leaves all those of us who pay for our own insurance.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:48 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
So what do you propose the working people to do? Let's see my medical insurance-is going up 13%! SO I've just taken a 13% paycut now-is this fair? And do I really want the government getting involved in healthcare? The government couldn't supervise a two car funeral-
Not only that BUT companies are already getting a pass not providing healthcare to it's workers..yes this law is brilliant..

Old 11-12-2010, 05:57 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
Here's the whole plan.

1. Insurance companies HAVE to raise rates in anticipation of having to cover people until they're 26, people with pre-existing conditions and a slew of others whom they didn't previously cover. They'll be paying more out, so they have to take more in.

2. Normal everyday business owners who now HAVE to provide health ins to employees or pay a fine are paying much more money for much less coverage. Eventually this will no longer be sustainable.

3. Everyone goes under the Gov's plan. Now the Gov't has total control over the healthcare of it's populace. Now unlike the current state of Medicare there will be many more people drawing from the system and the same number of people paying in. The Gov't will then tap the bottomless well of it's taxpayers and the taxes will continue to go up exponentially, until this too becomes unsustainable.

Yea FREE HEALTHCARE!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2010, 06:12 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,250 times
[quote=lorrysda;16629796]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As many have said, in 1910 people died, much younger than they do now (on average).

But, it was not because of lack of government-run health care. The shorter life span was because of lack of refrigeration/freezing of food and the unavailability of nutritious vegetables and fruit year round, among other things.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:17 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Why do you ask, "Since the Republican Party hates the helthcare law..." Do you think it is only Republicans that hate the fact that they shoved that horrible bill down our throats?

Where are you getting your information that "the majority of the public" want's it? What are you smoking?

The vast majority of Americans are opposed to the takeover of healthcare by the government, and specifcally, "Obamacare". This bill (as if we weren't already in huge financial trouble) will bankrupt the country, and cost every American thousands of dollars every year. You taxes will burry you, when they kick in, next year.

The Republican Victory this november was all about this Presidents policies, and a vote against "health care".

You expressed a view that Repubicans will let "poor people die or go bankrupt". Under Obamacare, a lot of people will die for lack of care, waiting for service, and old people will be left to die.

We still don't know everything that is in this legislation. It never should have been passed. Americans didn't want it, still don't want it, and it is far too expensive.

I would love to know where you are getting your news. MoveOn.org? Media Matters? Huffington Post? Daily Kos? MSNBC? ThinkProgress?
Vast majority of Americans? Get real....
1/3, in one of the latest polls, want it repealed.
Granted, most want it modified, since they think it goes too far (or not far enough), but that doesn't mean they want to get rid of it....

Old 11-12-2010, 06:20 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Why must you people try and pass on this BS that you will go bankrupt. You WON'T! That is the biggest fear mongering lie out there. If you can't afford $20,000 for a medical procedure, they don't take everything you own. You simply setup a payment plan with them with what you can afford. You may pay until the day you die, but you're NOT going to go bankrupt like you guys keep saying. Besides, if you're poor you get coverage with either medicaid or charity care. Now don't even go to that old tired out excuse that if you use charity care, everyone else's premiums will go up to pay for it. It's the same thing as medicaid or single payer since the money comes from YOU to pay for the poor in those prgrams as well. Everyone still pays the same except in one instance you might pay a little more in your premiums, the other scenario you pay more in taxes. Either way you are on the hook for paying for the poor no matter which way you go.
Like that's dramatically better anyway.....maybe they won't go bankrupt, but they will have a credit score from above 700 to below 450.....hhm....nice GOP thinking.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:38 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Like that's dramatically better anyway.....maybe they won't go bankrupt, but they will have a credit score from above 700 to below 450.....hhm....nice GOP thinking.

Can you explain how they would have a credit score below 450?

If they were above 700 to begin with how would they get to 450.

Remember those of us who have scores above 700 pay everything on time every time and the only way to drop to 450 would be not to pay their bills.

Ohh I get it, you want those of us above 700 to pay for those who do not want to pay their bills right?

So the idea that this HC was stealing from the haves to hand it to the have nots is correct then right?

If take the time to learn more about credit you will find that most medical bills can be paid by making small payments on time to the place that provided the services. And medical bills showing up on your credit file have to be reported 100% correctly which most of them are not and can be removed by simply disputing the tradeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies