Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 06:41 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,297,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Vast majority of Americans? Get real....
1/3, in one of the latest polls, want it repealed.
Granted, most want it modified, since they think it goes too far (or not far enough), but that doesn't mean they want to get rid of it....

The facts are 67% of Americans want it repealed.

75% want a new HC bill that protects people from pre existing conditions etc.

The current bill is a costly mistake and needs to be totally stopped and re-done.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:47 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,522,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Can you explain how they would have a credit score below 450?

If they were above 700 to begin with how would they get to 450.

Remember those of us who have scores above 700 pay everything on time every time and the only way to drop to 450 would be not to pay their bills.

Ohh I get it, you want those of us above 700 to pay for those who do not want to pay their bills right?

So the idea that this HC was stealing from the haves to hand it to the have nots is correct then right?

If take the time to learn more about credit you will find that most medical bills can be paid by making small payments on time to the place that provided the services. And medical bills showing up on your credit file have to be reported 100% correctly which most of them are not and can be removed by simply disputing the tradeline.
Even if you make a payment arrangement, that can stilll drive down your credit score.
Maybe not to 450, but yes, if you can't simply afford it and then had to start to make arrangements, or if all you can afford is 100 a month on a 20k bill, yea that could drive down a credit score that low...

Old 11-12-2010, 06:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post

But, it was not because of lack of government-run health care. The shorter life span was because of lack of refrigeration/freezing of food and the unavailability of nutritious vegetables and fruit year round, among other things.
I think we already discussed this. See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

People died younger in 1910 fo a lot of reasons. One, the infant mortality rate was much higher. So was the maternal death rate. Many of these deaths happened due to lack of any health care, and believe it or not, b/c we didn't have all the knowledge we have now.

Infectious disease killed a lot of people, b/c we didn't have antibiotics or many vaccines (just smallpox).

Plus, more people died of heart disease and cancer, due to both lack of care and lack of knowledge by the caregivers.

It's not true that fruits and veggis were unavailable year round. People canned those things back then. That was a very small contributor to higher death rates.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:51 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,522,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
The facts are 67% of Americans want it repealed.

75% want a new HC bill that protects people from pre existing conditions etc.

The current bill is a costly mistake and needs to be totally stopped and re-done.
Get out of here with the "facts"......
I said A recent poll, not THE recent poll....
it's just one of many (this isn't from a left or right leaning outfit)....

AP-GfK Poll: Americans split on health care repeal - Washington Times

Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,164,005 times
Default rotflmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
No, that is not common sense at all, but a very old tired strawman & fallacy:

1) In fact, Constitution gives authority to elected Congress to pass laws

2) And healthcare is not available to those who cannot afford it. It is a fallacy that healthcare is mandated by law without insurance. That law mandate is only in ER situations, so a lot of poor people utilize the ER in order to get treatment. This drives costs up, both medical AND insurance costs.

These costs would plummet downward with HR676 Universal Single Payer, Medicare for ALL. Everybody would be in, nobody would be without coverage. Common sense would be for USA to join the rest of Western Civilized Democracies on this universal healthcare issue.
Single payer would be a disaster. I know too many people in the medical profession, who would LOVE the single payer system. Since they would refuse to accept it, and require anyone using it, to provide their fees upfront, and let them get re-imbursed later. That way the Doctors will finally get their money, instead of waiting 6-9 months for it.

Now, the Constitution does allow congress to pass laws, and if they want to pass laws that require people to pay for everyone elses healthcare, it also allows us to replace these representatives at the very next election.. Oh yes, kinda like what just happened.

And if you believe costs would plummet, you are living in a fantasy world. Every nation with universal health care is having major problems, canada has to send women to the U.S.; to give birth and people in england and canada are going out of there way to come to the U.S. and get the health care they cannot get in their own country.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:27 PM

565 posts, read 485,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Why must you people try and pass on this BS that you will go bankrupt. You WON'T! That is the biggest fear mongering lie out there. .
I know someone who lost everything, three millions dollars, because his wife got a bad cancer. A story like many others.

I wonder why you need to live in a fantasy world.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:41 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,825,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I should hope they'll push for more HSAs where people invest their money in savings accounts for health care needs and wants. And decreased immigration and outsourcing of our jobs so that more Americans can work again and more businesses can compete for labor by offering better benefits.

Healthcare of course has to be paid by someone - nurses and doctors and others don't work for nothing. The taxpayers can't take being gouged over and over, taxes have to stop.
I don't agree hsa accounts work. Having 10,000 put in a account would be certainly wiped out by a 5 day hospital stay.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:58 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,238,827 times
I think the OP has it correct. The reichwing just wants poor sick kids to die slowly without HC.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:12 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,682,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
I know someone who lost everything, three millions dollars, because his wife got a bad cancer. A story like many others.

I wonder why you need to live in a fantasy world.
Is this in the US?

By the way, if he lost $3 million, then he was certainly among the very rich.
He isn't among those people who cannot afford insurance. Why didn't he have excellent insurance?

Old 11-13-2010, 04:27 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,594,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Is this in the US?

By the way, if he lost $3 million, then he was certainly among the very rich.
He isn't among those people who cannot afford insurance. Why didn't he have excellent insurance?

Corporate Health Insurance used to have caps, before Health Care Reform became law.

I thank God that my Mom was old enough to have Medicare when she died of pancreatic cancer. She got the best Hospice care at home, as was her last wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.