Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 03:23 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I didn't have a problem with my kids becasue we had a VCR and I just showed them videos of my choosing. These days it should be even easier with DVD's, streaming video, on demand, DVR's etc.
Exactly. When I was a kid, there were shows my parents never let me watch because...they weren't for kids. I did the same when my kids were younger. Where is it written that kids have to be able to watch every single show on television?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 03:30 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,055 times
Is it really necessary to have excessive cursing on television? There are still some TV shows, for instance, I Love Lucy, that are still extremely popular and had no cursing or any sexual content. I personally think it's ridiculous to have so much profanity, sexual content, etc on the media, it's sad that the quality of what's on TV today is declining.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:45 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,452,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Is it really necessary to have excessive cursing on television? There are still some TV shows, for instance, I Love Lucy, that are still extremely popular and had no cursing or any sexual content. I personally think it's ridiculous to have so much profanity, sexual content, etc on the media, it's sad that the quality of what's on TV today is declining.
Again what profanity?? Hell, crap, damn, boobs, balls is profanity??

Old 11-12-2010, 03:48 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I just don’t see where profanity adds value or quality to any show on TV or movies a few light words are ok but the f-bomb has no business on TV if it needs to be bleeped then it doesn’t need to be there in the first place.
I’m not no prude but I just don’t see any purpose to use profanity on TV but I agree if you don’t like the program you just change the channel. It’s just my opinion.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,224,171 times
Ah, yes, brought to you by the group that cannot locate the off button on a remote control. With all of the technology that exists, you can lock out channels that you find offensive. And no, most kids aren't going to go for I love Lucy.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
I wonder how many Evangelical parents who don't want their kids hearing curse words on TV will let them sit and watch Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings for hours?

Among the ones I know...plenty. Curse words are forbidden around their kids, but crash courses in witchcraft and sorcery go without comment. After all, it's just a movie..right?

Well..it's just a TV show too...right?

Old 11-12-2010, 05:09 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I wonder how many Evangelical parents who don't want their kids hearing curse words on TV will let them sit and watch Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings for hours?
I don't know, why don't ya research that and get back to us

Old 11-12-2010, 05:28 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
I'd rather them see some salty language than, say, military recruitment commercials, let alone the glorification of killing that is considered standard fare on television and in film.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:33 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Again what profanity?? Hell, crap, damn, boobs, balls is profanity??
Technically profanity is defiling something considered to be holy (e.g. taking God's name in vain), not using words that are simply regarded as vulgar. Nowadays people use the terms profanity, swearing, cursing, obscenity, vulgarity, etc. interchangeably although they cover different expressions.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:41 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I'd have to know the case name or number and which court it was to comment on the ruling. I like to read court rulings for myself, rather than let someone else tell me what it says. Most of the time, I find such interpretations incomplete and spun off the axles.
Here ya go, Docket number No. 06-1760-AG

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...nWmymQ&cad=rja

Dontcha think it's only fair that we ban profane words that ALL religions think are profane?????

Rather than use the "ban" mentality use the "I as a parent will teach my child" mentality.

I guess having something banned YOU or YOUR religion consider inappropriate is OK but what happens when other people want something you like to be banned? For example:

I consider some teachings of religion to be immoral and ludicrous, such as "The Earth is 6,000 years old".... I want it banned because it's not true and will embarrass my child when they talk with other children.

Last edited by plwhit; 11-12-2010 at 06:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies