Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 08:06 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times

Advertisements

Without some form of regulation and protection for the consumers, we're back to the days of "Let the buyer beware."

We've been essentially there for the past 3 decades already and I can't imagine that anyone is fine with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 08:15 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
Caveat emptor, as it is now so shall it ever be. There's a sucker born every minute.
We do not need any more bureaucracies or bureaucrats.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
This new consumer agency is to protect Americans from longtime usury practices, such as fine print, and complex and/or ambiguous language in literature about financial products. (Some of us are old enough to remember before the FDA made it mandatory for grocery stores to show unit pricing, and how confusing a simple shopping trip would be to compare prices of different brands of the same food product.) Well this new consumer agency now plans to implement this easy comparison shopping for credit cards, financial agreements, etc to help Americans decide what financial product best fits their needs, and to promote competition:

Elizabeth Warren Talks About New Agency With Maddow (VIDEO)
"such as fine print, and complex and/or ambiguous language in literature".

Do you know what gobbledygook means?

Gobbledygook or gobbledegook (sometimes gobbledegoo) is any text containing jargon or especially convoluted English that results in it being excessively hard to understand or even incomprehensible.

It is used to describe gov't speak most of the time.

So, now we are going to pay millions in tax dollars to have the gov't write things that no one can understand to explain things in contracts that no one can understand.

The Constitution is printed on 6 pages: pages 1-4 are the base text of the constitution
page 5 is the letter of transmittal page 6 contains the Bill of rights.

How many pages is Obama Care? 2,600 +/-

How about the tax code? Over 16,000 pages.

Only from the loony left.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
This agency will ELIMINATE the fine print.
I would rather read the fine print than pay more in taxes for some government agency to control it for me, thanks though.

I am quite capable of reading for myself.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:43 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I would rather read the fine print than pay more in taxes for some government agency to control it for me, thanks though.

I am quite capable of reading for myself.
The fine print contains a lot of scams that catastrophically rip-off good Americans . Many Americans have gone into bankruptcy and lost their homes due to foreclosure due to fine print AND misleading and/or ambiguous language in financial agreements.

This agency is also in place to eliminate unethical practices, for example : Universal default clauses were just eliminated from credit cards last August 2010 due to new Consumer Financial Protection Act .

There is a lot this agency is mandated to do to regulate the financial industries that have been financially ruining Americans for decades to due predatory practices.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:46 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Without some form of regulation and protection for the consumers, we're back to the days of "Let the buyer beware."

We've been essentially there for the past 3 decades already and I can't imagine that anyone is fine with that.
lol

Old 11-12-2010, 08:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
This new consumer agency is to protect Americans from longtime usury practices, such as fine print, and complex and/or ambiguous language in literature about financial products. (Some of us are old enough to remember before the FDA made it mandatory for grocery stores to show unit pricing, and how confusing a simple shopping trip would be to compare prices of different brands of the same food product.) Well this new consumer agency now plans to implement this easy comparison shopping for credit cards, financial agreements, etc to help Americans decide what financial product best fits their needs, and to promote competition:

Elizabeth Warren Talks About New Agency With Maddow (VIDEO)

That's good. A lot of customers are overwhelmed with all those tricks companies are using these days.

And I hate Legalese and fine print. Just two weeks ago when filling in my ISP contract I could not read the fine print because the letters were simply too small, and printed in orange on white

Old 11-12-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That's good. A lot of customers are overwhelmed with all those tricks companies are using these days.

And I hate Legalese and fine print. Just two weeks ago when filling in my ISP contract I could not read the fine print because the letters were simply too small, and printed in orange on white
Yep
And no more inadvertantly signing away your first born

Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
This new consumer agency is to protect Americans from.... complex and/or ambiguous language

Has anybody read the new Health Care Law???

Old 11-12-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
This new consumer agency is to protect Americans from.... complex and/or ambiguous language

Has anybody read the new Health Care Law???
Portions of it, and so far very clearly understood (such as current applications of HCR like elimination of pre-existing condition denials by corporate insurance, insurance caps eliminated, adult uninsured children can be insured by parents coverage up to age 26, etc ) Very simple, very easy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies