Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:00 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Yep
And no more inadvertantly signing away your first born
Yes, I hope I will never have to find out what I signed there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 09:04 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
The agency is created to regulate corporations, not Americans
Would you say that about the FDA?

Not if the wrong person is put in charge.

She's just the shining face of integrity and legitimacy that sells it till it can be perverted 180 degrees to champion those special persons known now as corporations.

It will go through a stage where every American Individual will be encouraged to incorporate themselves in their respective States to achieve parity with the collective corporations.

Only, guess what, an individual will never have parity with a collective with regard to "rights" or any other damn thing.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:04 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
The fine print contains a lot of scams that catastrophically rip-off good Americans . Many Americans have gone into bankruptcy and lost their homes due to foreclosure due to fine print AND misleading and/or ambiguous language in financial agreements.

This agency is also in place to eliminate unethical practices, for example : Universal default clauses were just eliminated from credit cards last August 2010 due to new Consumer Financial Protection Act .

There is a lot this agency is mandated to do to regulate the financial industries that have been financially ruining Americans for decades to due predatory practices.
I am not sure why the government should care about the fact that the average american does not read a mortgage agreement carefully enough when buying a home. I will say it again, read the fine print yourself, don't take out the credit card/mortgage/loan/etc until you understand what you are signing. Isn't that just common sense?

Old 11-12-2010, 09:07 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,518 times
Another "agency"? Is this what we really need? I guess Obama can make another notch on his belt for more "jobs" created

Old 11-12-2010, 09:12 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,425,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That's good. A lot of customers are overwhelmed with all those tricks companies are using these days.

And I hate Legalese and fine print. Just two weeks ago when filling in my ISP contract I could not read the fine print because the letters were simply too small, and printed in orange on white
And let me guess, you STILL signed it instead of demanding a copy of the fine print that you could actually read? That is your OWN fault

Old 11-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am not sure why the government should care about the fact that the average american does not read a mortgage agreement carefully enough when buying a home. I will say it again, read the fine print yourself, don't take out the credit card/mortgage/loan/etc until you understand what you are signing. Isn't that just common sense?
Some fine print is deliberately written in a way that confuses the average customer. I read somewhere that in Europe there are trial projects where legal experts really translate fine print and laws into understandable text.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If someone doesn't read the fine print and gets screwed, it is their own damn fault.

This post is governed by the fair statements arbitration agreement. If you don’t like the post you will need to petition for a fair standards arbitration. The originator of the Post is the sole arbitrator. All of the OP’s decisions are final and may not be appealed. By responding to this post in a less than positive manner (to be determined solely by said arbitrator) you agree that you are an asshat

Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
And let me guess, you STILL signed it instead of demanding a copy of the fine print that you could actually read? That is your OWN fault
Yes, I did. But only because the sum at stake is small anyway. If it were a contract worth thousands of dollars or euros, I sure would not sign it just like that.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Some fine print is deliberately written in a way that confuses the average customer. I read somewhere that in Europe there are trial projects where legal experts really translate fine print and laws into understandable text.
What is your point, exactly?

Take the time to understand it, ask someone who would understand it to read it, or don't sign it. I am still unsure why the government should be involved.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
The government needs to create an entire agency to eliminate fine print? Where is a czar when you need one? And one more question, is the "Vice President in Charge of Paper Clips," an elected or an appointed position?

Great Idea!

We can start with every unread and indiscernible 1,000+ page exception and loop-hole laden gotta "pass it to find out what's in it" bill signed into law since Jan 20, 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies