Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 10:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I know you don't live in America, so maybe this is news to you, but we are broke.
A lack of money isn't an excuse, it's a reality.
Most Western countries are unfortunately not much better off than the US, we are just more relaxed about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 10:13 AM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There are incentives for green projects around the world. Since green technology is initially quite expensive, such incentives help drive down prices by making green a mass movement. It worked with solar panels, which are much more efficient and at the same time much more affordable today than they used to be 10 years ago. That would not have happened without incentives on the part of governments such as the German one.

Nor are those incentives limited to GE and GM. Some people here make it look as if those two companies were Obama's companies, which alone he blesses with your tax dollars.
Since when is it the president's job to supply free taxpayer money to a corporation in order to promote his political or ideological agenda? Pushing green energy does not make the country any better off, in fact, the more green energy we have, the more it drives up energy costs.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Those high electricity rates are OK. They make us use it more carefully
Yup, a low income family can now decide between food, clothing, medical care or paying their electric bill or filling the tank of their family car. Oh wait, how silly of me, they can just buy a $40,000 electric car with the $7,500 rebate from 0bama.

Quote:
China is now the world's biggest producer of solar panels. Overtook Germany recently... The Chinese are investing heavily in green stuff as well, while Americans are like stubborn kids rejecting green because of ideological reasons. You are repeating the same mistake that GM made when they slept as the world was overtaking them with efficient compact cars.
It is amazing how cheaply you can make solar panels for the greenies, when you use a work force made up of slave laborers.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Since when is it the president's job to supply free taxpayer money to a corporation in order to promote his political or ideological agenda? Pushing green energy does not make the country any better off, in fact, the more green energy we have, the more it drives up energy costs.
Energy is still pretty cheap in the US, which probably is why you waste so much compared to other countries.

Apart from that your governments have always spent a lot of money on subsidies, for instance in agriculture.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Quote:

The only thing I find a bit odd about electric cars is when they keep saying zero-emission. The emissions are still there, they are just outsourced to power stations so to speak, only few of which are green.
I must admit that when I bought my Prius in 2008, zero emissions was the least of my concerns. I bought the car because I felt I was being jerked around by the oil/gasoline/car industry. I wanted to save money because I do a lot of driving. I also wanted a reliable car at a price I could afford. Well, the Prius has delivered for me. The fact that it helps mitigate harmful emissions was just an added bonus, but not my number one priority.

I do not consider myself an environmentalist a la Ed Begley; however, I do small things like recycling, and buying "energy saving" bulbs and appliances because they save me money. Small things do add up. It is not a new concept. During WWII, when the people of this country went out of their way to work together, they did recycle a lot of scrap metal to aid the war effort.

Amazing what this country can accomplish when its people work together! Nowadays, there are too many miserable, hateful, resentful, envious, selfish souls out there, to move forward as a nation. Sad, really.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:25 AM

While there still are Chinese working under bad conditions, that phenomenon - which is typical of developing countries, just go back to the industrialization era in Europe or the US - is on the decline. The Chinese earn a lot less than people in the West, but by Chinese standards they oftentimes earn quite well. Slave labor is more of a problem in some parts of Brazil than in China.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
No, they are not. Where did you get your information? A chain e-mail perharps?

Please read these articles:

GM - Environment - GM manufactures 1st battery for Chevy Volt (http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/news/2010/voltbattery_010710.jsp - broken link)

Chevy Volt: Made in America – even the batteries | AutoGuide.com News
From what I have read, we have supplies of about ten years worth of lithium, and that is at current consumption rates. And since we do not have much in the way of lithium in the US, it looks like we will be using up more of the world's resources.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:36 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Barely. Have you been to Dearbornistan lately?

That is an entirely different issue. If they entered the country legally, work for a living and pay taxes, I don't have a problem with it.

It appears you only want your own kind (whatever that might be) to do well. You have some ethnocentrism issues.

Twelve thousand jobs created act like a multiplier: they create a lot of other jobs, and business opportunities for other people. Ask anybody who lives in an area where there is a military installation.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Energy is still pretty cheap in the US, which probably is why you waste so much compared to other countries.

Apart from that your governments have always spent a lot of money on subsidies, for instance in agriculture.
Only in this case we are spending subsidies on an alternative form of energy that will result in driving up the costs of energy to the nation.

This is the complete opposite of what government does when it subsidizes farmers. This would be like subsidizing some expensive exotic bird for eggs, when we already get eggs from chickens. And the only reason we are doing it is because our president and a segment of society want to eat those exotic eggs over chicken eggs.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
While there still are Chinese working under bad conditions, that phenomenon - which is typical of developing countries, just go back to the industrialization era in Europe or the US - is on the decline. The Chinese earn a lot less than people in the West, but by Chinese standards they oftentimes earn quite well. Slave labor is more of a problem in some parts of Brazil than in China.
Easy for you to say, being as you are totally ignorant of what conditions a Chinese laborer works under. If they are not slaves, can they decide to save their money, board a plane and fly to France or England to immigrate?

LORETTA TOFANI, Journalist: I found that there were carcinogens being used by people, by the workers, in a really extravagant manner. People were spraying benzenes. There were people who had silicosis from making our metal goods.

And it would seem like it was in every industry. It was furniture. It was shoes, clothes, marble tiles, granite countertops. Virtually every industry went through this system, where workers were living and breathing in carcinogens or using machines that were unguarded and resulted in amputations.

Online NewsHour: Analysis | Working in Chinese Factories | November 20, 2007 | PBS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies