Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 10:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

My sympathies go out to any teacher that has to teach in a school full of ghettoites. I know that can be stressful because most of the time the ghettoites and rednecks act like the low class animals that they are. They cuss the teacher out, assualt the teacher, spit on the teacher and disrupt the class all day every day. Most of them should honestly be caged in a jail or even a zoo.
But should the teacher cuss them back? In this case the teacher just says she is sick of them. But my question is, as an educator with 20 years experience, she could get a job in a middle class part of town and not have to put up with it. I wonder why she doesn't just quit and go elsewhere. Lots of teachers do. Only a desparate teacher would work in Clayton County or Atlanta.
Teacher Fights For Job After Confrontation With Student - News Story - WSB Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 11:17 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
I've worked with some tough kids and have been called many names and have been threatened. You can't let it get to the point where you lose control. I had an occasion where I had someone cover for me while I cooled off, but I never crossed that line. I had decided that I would be willing to cross that line if I ever felt like I was really in danger, but that I wouldn't do so in any other circumstances. Unfortuantely, many kids and schools have such little discipline that the behavior can overwhelm the teacher's ability to cope with it; I'm afraid that we're likely to see more of this and worse.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:55 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I've worked with some tough kids and have been called many names and have been threatened. You can't let it get to the point where you lose control. I had an occasion where I had someone cover for me while I cooled off, but I never crossed that line. I had decided that I would be willing to cross that line if I ever felt like I was really in danger, but that I wouldn't do so in any other circumstances. Unfortuantely, many kids and schools have such little discipline that the behavior can overwhelm the teacher's ability to cope with it; I'm afraid that we're likely to see more of this and worse.
I think a teacher's job is to teach (not be a nanny, a social worker, a nurse, a referee, a cop, etc.).

The parents' job is to send to school children who are clean, fed, well rested, well mannered and who have completed homework.

A child who curses, threatens the teacher, assaults the teacher, vandalizes etc. should be summarily expelled from school. Never to return to that school or any other. Period-end of discussion. The parents can then home school their little darlings themselves. Let's see how they like dealing with the brats.

I always vote in favor of whatever proposition they put on the ballot in my county that benefits education.

However, I am tired, very tired of our country falling behind. The taxpayers are getting a very poor return on their investment. It is high time that we invest in the kids who do want to learn and who have promise.

I wonder if there are studies out there that have looked at delinquent behavior in school and the likelihood of ending up in jail.

BTW, I went to parochial schools that were managed and staffed by nuns. We never heard of a student with ADHD and out of a class of 100 nobody went to jail, nobody got pregnant, and only 2 had issues with drugs. Those nuns would give any terrorist a run for their money--can't argue with the outcomes though.

Last edited by EDnurse; 11-12-2010 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-12-2010, 12:23 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I think a teacher's job is to teach (not be a nanny, a social worker, a nurse, a referee, a cop, etc.).

The parents' job is to send to school children who are clean, fed, well rested, well mannered and who have completed homework.

A child who curses, threatens the teacher, assaults the teacher, vandalizes etc. should be summarily expelled from school. Never to return to that school or any other. Period-end of discussion. The parents can then home school their little darlings themselves. Let's see how they like dealing with the brats.

I always vote in favor of whatever proposition they put on the ballot in my county that benefits education.

However, I am tired, very tired of our country falling behind. The taxpayers are getting a very poor return on their investment. It is high time that we invest in the kids who do want to learn and who have promise.

I wonder if there are studies out there that have looked at delinquent behavior in school and the likelihood of ending up in jail.

BTW, I went to parochial schools that were managed and staffed by nuns. We never heard of a student with ADHD and out of a class of 100 nobody went to jail, nobody got pregnant, and only 2 had issues with drugs. Those nuns would give any terrorist a run for their money--can't argue with the outcomes though.
I agree with you. The problem we now see is that many parents do not provide discipline and the schools are often afraid to do so making it the teacher's problem.

As for you question about studies, yes they do exist. One study tracked the kids that are labeled Emotionally Behaviorally Disturbed, which is what these kids are often called. About 42% dropped out of school; 25% were involved in the courts within a year and 44% by the end of the second year.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:07 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times
Quote:
most of the time the ghettoites and rednecks act like the low class animals that they are
Stereotype much?

Old 11-12-2010, 01:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Some kids should not be in public school. Period. I support expulsion of disruptive students. Then we can do something with the rejects like work-camps or whatever.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Stereotype much?
I can walk into any school and tell you what kind of students go there. If you walk into a suburban high school here- such as McEachern where my daughter went- you will see no graffitti, clean hallways, and students who are quiet, do what the teacher says and complete their work. But if you go to many schools in Clayton and Atlanta, you will see noisy students, girls dressed like dime store hookers, fights, graffitti everywhere and trash all over the school grounds.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:54 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Ghettoites? Try teaching a bunch of over-privileged, spoiled middle class snots.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:57 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
“She was saying she would take off her earrings and shoes because after 3:45 p.m. she is no longer an educator, that she was no longer afraid of the student, that she was from the N-O (New Orleans) and that he did not know who he was dealing with, and that she knew people,” said Teresa Reese with the Clayton County School District Personnel Office.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/25764297/detail.html

That you cannot do. I don't care how angry you are. I don't care how grown those kids think they are.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:27 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Ghettoites? Try teaching a bunch of over-privileged, spoiled middle class snots.
Better snotty suburbanites than a bunch of hooligans who don't give a d***.

That said, the teacher always has to be the adult in the room. If the teacher is no longer the adult...then it can get REALLY bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies