Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:53 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times

Advertisements

My Father was a christian, a Seventh Day Adventist minister. He didn't believe animals had souls. He was raised on a farm and thought of them as mere property. The VERY idea of suggesting that a pet stay in the house at night was enough to send him into hysterics. He didn't believe in spending money on your animal because they were after all just property.

As he got older, he softened a bit though. He got this pair of Manx kittens, adopted them from a foster place, they were almost imposible to tell apart. There is something about a Manx, they are more dog like then other cats and they were alot of fun to watch.

My parents used to spend the summer in Colorado to avoid the heat of Texas. One night a racoon got into the garage and seriously hurt one of the Manx kitties. I was surprised to hear he had taken it to the vet to get patched up rather then just shooting it. Unfortunatly the racoon came back the next night and killed the little Manx.

I believe my little fur babies have souls...I believe as human beings we must endeavor to treat them with care and respect.

Maybe the use of soul is strange coming from someone who is not religious but for some reason thats how I feel about them.

Over the years I have had some VERY special pets, I don't understand how people can ever treat animals so callously as they do. It breaks my heart to read.

Animals look to humans for care and love so when someone abuses them, you would think it would kill their sweet little minds but so often these same abused pets can be rehabiltated and loved and cherished.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 04:25 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,406 times
Default Yes they do!!

They most certainly do, no question about it. And why wouldn't they? I know many people who like your father, Lisa, thinks they are just property or stupid animals. I know lots of stupid people- but I still think they've got souls.
Anyone with an animal knows how much joy they bring you, and if not everyone is a materialistic-fool, then I think the question speaks for itself

And if not, I don't even want to think about what is behind those eyes looking back at you...

Old 07-09-2007, 07:13 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
There is an interesting post about "do dogs go to heaven" on the religion forum. Most seem to feel that they have something that makes them special.

Perhaps we just don't have the correct word for it, but I am sure that God does.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:33 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Personally I dont think they do...but sure would be nice if they did, cause it would be nice to think Id see my fav saimese cat, lived to be 12-rode on my shoulder, and my border collie.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 AM

54 posts, read 374,090 times
I'm a strong believer that animals indeed have souls. I lost my pet 2 years ago to a bad case of pancreatitis. Although my household consists of more than one person, my dog was very close to me. I guess you can say that I was her favorite person. She died at the emergency vet clinic, and unfortunately, it happened overnight. Nonetheless, the attending vet placed a call to our home to inform us that she had taken a turn for the worse. All I remember on the drive to the clinic was saying a prayer that she would wait for me to arrive before she left us. I wanted to be by her side when it happened, the same way she was always with me when I needed her the most. I didn't make it in time, but I did request the vet to let me be with her for a moment. I held her in my arms and broke down in tears because all that was there was her little lifeless body, and I remember then being convinced that her soul had gone off to a better place.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:34 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
I don't believe that we are all going to heaven to be reunited with every pet from our past or anything, but I do believe every living creature has a soul.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:22 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,361,498 times
I believe they have souls. I hope I see my Rosco on the other side.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:39 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Yes. And some very sweet souls at that, too.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:46 PM

434 posts, read 1,736,976 times
I know my cat does. I can see it when I look in his eyes. It won't be heaven for me if he isn't there when I get there. (Assuming I don't go first the next time I trip over him)

Old 07-10-2007, 02:13 PM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,241,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawson26 View Post
I know my cat does. I can see it when I look in his eyes.
YES! And when HE looks into yours. That's exactly how I feel about our cat. I don't know about other animals, but our cat definitely has a soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies