Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 05:33 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,500,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I believe you're wrong. I think all one needs is a majority vote.
How does the vote get to the floor without the Speaker calendering it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 05:38 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
How does the vote get to the floor without the Speaker calendering it?
Do you think they attach earmarks to bills that aren't popular to the house?

They attach them to war funding bills. Its dirty, but thats what they do. Then if the speaker doesn't put it forward to committee, or put it on the calendar, then they'll say

"The speaker is delaying funding for the troops" which doesn't look good.

And remember, Boehner has never said he wants to stop ear marks.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:42 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Quote:
It's probably going to be an issue.

Do the Democrats not care at all about this?
NO, they are enjoying the show

Old 11-12-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Do you think they attach earmarks to bills that aren't popular to the house?

They attach them to war funding bills. Its dirty, but thats what they do. Then if the speaker doesn't put it forward to committee, or put it on the calendar, then they'll say

"The speaker is delaying funding for the troops" which doesn't look good.

And remember, Boehner has never said he wants to stop ear marks.
Sure, they can say he is delaying funding for the troops, and it might cost him his speakership.

But he could probably block it from getting to the house floor without for a vote, which was the question.

But they may have a calendaring committee or something at the federal level. I'm not as familiar with their procedure.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:47 AM

Republicans and TEA party members are so vocal when it comes to Democratic stuff. Yet, when a Republican Senator shows their true colors.

Silence.....

Old 11-13-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Republicans and TEA party members are so vocal when it comes to Democratic stuff. Yet, when a Republican Senator shows their true colors.

Silence.....
There's not silence.

As I've already responded the other Senator of Oklahoma, the one more aligned with Tea Parties, wrote a piece in response to Inhoff.

What exactly do you want us to do? There's no election coming up to campaign for.

Quote:
Moments after the Tea Party Patriots issued a missive to 200,000 members backing the earmarks ban, Inhofe tried to reach one of the group’s leaders on her cell phone. When he couldn’t connect, he tried again. When that was unsuccessful, his staff sent text messages urging her to call him back.

With a vote coming Tuesday on the ban on earmarks, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell’s opposition was seen as enough to defeat the plan — especially since it was proposed by South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint, who is deeply unpopular with many of his colleagues.

But one thing McConnell can’t control: the sway of tea party activists, who are beginning to mount an aggressive lobbying push to demand that wobbly Republican senators take a firm line and publicly announce their support for the two-year earmark moratorium.
What more do you expect of us?
http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz15AcP0qyN

Old 11-13-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
There's not silence.

As I've already responded the other Senator of Oklahoma, the one more aligned with Tea Parties, wrote a piece in response to Inhoff.

What exactly do you want us to do? There's no election coming up to campaign for.
I'm talking about members on this forum.

If I posted a link "Obama trying to block earmark reform" Then there would be countless people attacking him for it. But when its a Republican, those loud voices on this forum fall silent. Its almost like they are ignoring the blatant truth.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I'm talking about members on this forum.

If I posted a link "Obama trying to block earmark reform" Then there would be countless people attacking him for it. But when its a Republican, those loud voices on this forum fall silent. Its almost like they are ignoring the blatant truth.
I can tell you that I won't vote for Inhoff if he doesn't back the earmark ban, but the truth is, this is probably his last term.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:21 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
He hasn't, I knew that. But he has also said he isn't going to stop anyone else from using them either.

Boehner ducks on earmark ban

House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) declined to say on Sunday that he would push a ban on spending "earmarks" if he becomes speaker.

"Today, we have a moratorium on earmarks. I can tell you that if Republicans win the majority in November, it will not be business as usual here in Congress," Boehner said on "Fox News Sunday" in response to questioning by host Chris Wallace.

When asked about a second time, Boehner repeated the same mantra: "It will not be business as usual here in Washington, D.C.... It will not be. It will not be business as usual."

Boehner ducks on earmark ban - POLITICO Live - POLITICO.com

I didn't say that John Boehner uses earmarks, I said he isn't going to be for passing laws that prevents them.
I guess you haven't heard of this, "The top two House Republican leaders said on Friday that they will hold a vote to ban all earmarks for the 112th Congress.

Presumptive Speaker Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio) and presumptive House Majority Leader Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) announced that their GOP conference would vote next week to ban all earmarks.

"Next week the House Republican Conference, including all of our newly elected Members, will vote on a measure that would impose an immediate ban on earmarks at the start of the 112th Congress," the leaders said in a joint statement.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I guess you haven't heard of this, "The top two House Republican leaders said on Friday that they will hold a vote to ban all earmarks for the 112th Congress.

Presumptive Speaker Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio) and presumptive House Majority Leader Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) announced that their GOP conference would vote next week to ban all earmarks.

"Next week the House Republican Conference, including all of our newly elected Members, will vote on a measure that would impose an immediate ban on earmarks at the start of the 112th Congress," the leaders said in a joint statement.
Politics.

They want to subside the tea party by voting on it, before Republicans have control in congress. Thats why they are going to put it up for a vote next week instead of after the 112th congress convenes.

And Boenher, just changed his mind. Read the link I posted earlier.

Still doesn't account of the Senate Minority leader, and other Republicans who are advocating for earmarks. It will still never pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies