Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm skeptical that legalizing it would just make all the problems go away. Having said that, it doesn't make it moral by legalizing it.
I was not saying anything about morals.

Simply agreeing with you in how prostitution and crime are related to one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
Very interesting stuff can you post some links for those that are Google impaired?
Probably 10 years ago, just as I was retiring from Law Enforcement I remember reading a few articles about law enforcement and crime stats in Nevada.

Obviously not all of Nevada, and there are some parts of Nevada that do tend to draw in a lot of crime. But Courthouse county in particular.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:43 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Probably 10 years ago, just as I was retiring from Law Enforcement I remember reading a few articles about law enforcement and crime stats in Nevada.

Obviously not all of Nevada, and there are some parts of Nevada that do tend to draw in a lot of crime. But Courthouse county in particular.
Thank you. I tend to trust personal observation over published stats. Your observations match what I'd expect to see.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:43 AM

104 posts, read 99,523 times
I think maybe its a conspiracy. If brothels were legal they would be extremely popular. And, then competition. Less money?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:49 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Other than those women that are being used in it? Or those that engage in the activity as a way to make a few bucks to buy drugs? Or the people that get diseases from them? Or the taxpayers that have to pay for the issues caused by all of the above?

Your perception of prostitutes is way off base. I know some and none of them are illegal drug users. Maybe the ones you see on TV roaming the streets and turning tricks for $25 are druggies, but there are a lot that lead an otherwise normal life. Many have a day job and just supplement their income with prostitution. Your neighbor may be one.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:42 PM

79 posts, read 72,847 times
Calvinist: Other than those women that are being used in it? Or those that engage in the activity as a way to make a few bucks to buy drugs?

And you know without a doubt they are all drug users?

Calvinist: Or the people that get diseases from them?

Last time i've heard 1/4 of all women carry an STD-3 years ago. Everyone needs to start practicing safety measures involving ALL women.

Calvinist: Or the taxpayers that have to pay for the issues caused by all of the above?

And your solution is what, complete sexual abstinence programs?

Old 02-12-2011, 02:49 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,127 times
So the religious can moralise about it.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_NewYorkers View Post
I think maybe its a conspiracy. If brothels were legal they would be extremely popular. And, then competition. Less money?

I've heard it was anti-sex feminists behind most of it, with a few pro-feminist males and religious groups backing them up. They are the major force behind those 20 something state attorneys recently getting on the bully pulpit forcing craigslist to close its adult section. They were also behind Rhode Island's new law banning indoor prostitution and are also busy trying to lobby against prostitution in Nevada.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Immorality requires harm to an innocent victim. If both parties consent to the transaction that argument is hard to make.
I just have an incredibly hard time thinking that this is the best way for a woman to make a living, or that any woman actually wants to make a living this way. A lot of time, the victim is the prostitute. That is not going to change if prostitution is legalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Virtually all empirical evidence suggests that if you were to legalize prostitution (and especially if this legalization were accompanied by an overall shift in social attitude toward a more liberal sexual mindset) then the damages and dangers of prostitution would greatly decrease - especially when compared to the continued damages and dangers involved in keeping prostitution illegal.
What empirical evidence is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
My thought is for their to be a crime you need a victim. There is no victim in Prostitution. Having said that there should be regulations controlling it...age etc.
Except that the woman is often the victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
If prostitution were legal, then more prostitutes could keep most of the money they make, which means they could quickly become financially secure and self-sufficient. As for disease, legalization would, overall, lead to a decrease in disease, due to better practices and more frequent testing. (And BTW, part of legalization could include something like a prostitution version of "no drinking and driving" - in other words, business transactions for sex while either the worker or the client is drunk or high could be illegal. Just a thought to point out ways in which some of the concerns over abuse, drugs, disease, etc. could be addressed just as well, or better, if prostitution were legal.) And, as I suggested earlier, the overall costs to taxpayers would drop if prostitution were legalized.
Like that could be enforced, not!

The rest of your post is pure speculation. Is Nevada rolling in money b/c of legalized prostitution there (in some cities, as I understand it)?

Old 02-12-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I just have an incredibly hard time thinking that this is the best way for a woman to make a living, or that any woman actually wants to make a living this way. A lot of time, the victim is the prostitute. That is not going to change if prostitution is legalized.

What empirical evidence is that?

Except that the woman is often the victim.

Like that could be enforced, not!

The rest of your post is pure speculation. Is Nevada rolling in money b/c of legalized prostitution there (in some cities, as I understand it)?
Katiana.....and YOUR proof is what exactly? And all women prostitutes are victims??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies