Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times

Advertisements

Yes the price of food is going up. We bought a bag of french fries last time and that same bag is now over a dollar more. Same store, same brand, same everything but price.

Has anyone noticed the price of bacon now a days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 10:02 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A .79¢ loaf of bread is now $1.25
.59¢ can of corn is now .99¢
What use to be $5.50 for a pound of coffee, is now pushing $9
The cheap bread here is now 1.69

Old 11-15-2010, 10:06 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
I've seen some cheap sliced bread for $0.99 but it was extra fluffed up so you were buying mostly air.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Have you noticed price increases especially in food?
Yes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the price of yachts on Cape Cod and condos in Aspen has decreased a little, though.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:34 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
I think using the measure of price increase at Big Box Stores a good one to look at. I have noticed Lowes has doubled their price on a lot of small goods. I was talking to a store employee and he told me Lowes Corporate has told the store to mark up everything at a pace of 600 items a day. I wonder if HD is doing the same ?... Some of this may be because of holiday sales , but , drywall screws?. I bought a box for 3.00 this summer , same box today , 6.00.... Everything you buy has one or two price stickers over the origional one.
I am not sure whats going on , but , its real, prices are doubling on many items in a lot of stores.Commodity increases can't be all the reason.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:36 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Commodity increases can't be all the reason.

Could be it's just wishful thinking, but maybe corporate America sees an approaching uptick in sales and an improving economy.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:43 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:
"But since that statement, interest rates have actually gone up, backfiring on a Fed chief who wants his quantitative easing to spark inflation of 2 percent annually. A moderate amount of inflation would be considered good for the economy. The problem is that inflation is already running well above a healthy level, investors said, Bernanke is just not looking in the right place, like a Walmart. 'I suspect that when the Chairman thinks about reflation he has a difficult time seeing any other asset besides real estate,' said Jim Iuorio of TJM Institutional Services. 'Somehow the Fed thinks that if its not ‘wage driven’ inflation that it is somehow unimportant. It’s not unimportant to people who see everything they own (homes) going down in value and everything they need (food and energy) going up in price.'”

News Headlines

I'm not an observant or regular shopper. Have you noticed price increases especially in food?
Inflation is never good for the economy. The only reason why every country inflation is that they believe that by not inflating, they are at an exporting disadvantage. What they don't take into account is, for example, in the US, even if we debase our currency to 0, we still not going to have more export. We have nothing to export.

Helicopter Ben have said it many many time, he will throw money off the helicopter if necessary.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I have noted substantial price increases in the grocery stores but gasoline has remained stable at around $2.75 A GAL. Electricity is over 16 cents Kilowatt hour. I would make much of my own bread to save money but the electric oven is expensive. However as the excess heat warms the house baking is cheaper than buying. Interest rates, except credit cards, are very low but so what? I am not using the cards or borrowing any huge amounts of money?

I am very concerned with environmental matters but cutting food production to "save" a fish is ridiculous. Nature will replace that fish with something better adapted to the man made environment. The man made Riverine environment of the Sacramento Delta is not going away any time soon. Wasting food on "environmentally friendly" gasohol is equally absurd. The reduction in pollution from automobiles (NOx) does not justify the increases in corn prices. It does result in huge amounts of money flowing into the RED states.

When I look at an environmental situation I include the human environment in the assessment. This puts me at odds with a lot of "Greens" because I do not care about their utopian dreams. I also do not care about the dreams of credit led consumer capitalism. Both of these utopias are unobtainable in our current, and very likely future, because of many constraints in the natural and economic environment.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:58 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,015 times
Quote:
I've noticed the size of items shrinking to keep the price down and the poster who mentioned yogurt/ice cream is right on the money.

I'm trying to stock up on chunky soups.
Chunky soups are down to $1.25 around here, and Campbell has some good on-line coupons too. I used to stretch a can with diced tomatoes but the soup itself is a better buy than the tomatoes these days!

If you scour the ads there are still some pretty good deals out there. Yesterday I got a new Oral-b Vitality rechargeable toothbrush for $23 at CVS, used a $10 coupon, and got $13 of CVS "extra bucks". So almost "free" - CVS always has something on a pretty good sale, like BOGO vitamins, so the extra bucks never go to waste.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:33 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
The other thing is , Business is buying equipment, machinery like never before or at lest better than levels 1-2-3 years ago. Trucking is at an all time high, there is a huge shortage of truck drivers. Trucks are sitting idle, with no qualified drivers. Anyone connected to the Commodity field is booming, the mines are hiring, gold and silver at all time highs,and Catapiller just anounced it bought the worlds largest mining machinery mfg co. Bycicrus Erie.... Pay attention to this , Cat sales are up 30 per cent in the US....as Cat goes , so goes the Nation, always the standard.
The bottom line here is , we may be in a recovery , and not know it ! If you are out of work , there are plenty of jobs in the Commodity/Distributation fields. Things are moving, capital spending is up, next comes inflation as production falls behing demand. Look for oil and gas to go through the roof , I am afraid , in the coming months. Gold could top at 2,000 an ounce , and I sold at 1,000...bad timing, nothing new for me, I am always ahead of or behind of the curve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies