Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:04 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Please tell me where you obtained your medical credentials. I am stunned that you honestly believe that claptrap about the environment being responsible for all those ills with no liability attributed to the patients' lifestyle and genetics. (You are precisely the individual that has kept Al Gore in business with his junk science.)
You, on the other hand, have a much broader wealth of knowledge on the GW question than do the multitude of scientists doing the studies. I wonder why they are wasting their time so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:16 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
From reports they have already satrted with 500 billion medicare cuts to fund the new healthcare bill;so looks to me like they need top do similar cuts to other entitlements first before cutting medicare again.It needs to be all acrosss the board.Then we need to tie other federal aid for college to working cheap if we are going to do it with medical degreees.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:16 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
You, on the other hand, have a much broader wealth of knowledge on the GW question than do the multitude of scientists doing the studies. I wonder why they are wasting their time so.
It's called,....."money"............
Top American Scientist Quits APS over 'Global Warming Scam' (http://www.suite101.com/content/top-american-scientist-quits-aps-over--global-warming-scam-a295057 - broken link)

Bret Stephens: Climategate: Follow the Money - WSJ.com
Climategate?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:27 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
At some point we have to say NO to the doctors and pharma outfits. NO we cannot keep raising the cost at 4 times the inflation rate. NO we cannot afford to pay for everything for everybody- such as these stupid "scooter" chairs that TV informercials hawk to seniors who don't even need them.
This is what happens when our government does nothing about trying to control forces behind the high costs in health care. College tuition rates climb much faster then the inflation rate and without tort reform and other measures, health care costs will continue to spiral up, the solution is not to simply cut payments to doctors.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
From reports they have already satrted with 500 billion medicare cuts to fund the new healthcare bill;so looks to me like they need top do similar cuts to other entitlements first before cutting medicare again.It needs to be all acrosss the board.Then we need to tie other federal aid for college to working cheap if we are going to do it with medical degreees.
Let me ask a simple question. In Florida, people who opt for Medicare Advantage plans, can do so and wind up getting the $96.40 they would have deducted for Medicare, back into their Soc Sec payment. The have a slightly better than Medicare, Private plan for Health Ins, free. I know that is not true in every state, but it may be in some others, I don't know. Ask youself, what does that mean? How can a private Ins Co provide a basic level of Ins to an Individual, free? Obviously, they cannot, so who's doing the paying, and how much? Medicare is subsidizing these Companies, why? Actually think about it.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upl...ac_mafacts.pdf

Now, there would be a number of Companies that would close up shop, but, they didn't even exist prior to the Advantage Plan Legislation. So, would there be a loss there?

Last edited by florida.bob; 11-15-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 11-15-2010, 08:48 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
It's called,....."money"............
Top American Scientist Quits APS over 'Global Warming Scam' (http://www.suite101.com/content/top-american-scientist-quits-aps-over--global-warming-scam-a295057 - broken link)

Bret Stephens: Climategate: Follow the Money - WSJ.com
Climategate?
Seems its no longer high times at the AGW feeding trough

The closing this week of the Chicago Climate Exchange, which was envisioned to be the key player in the trillion-dollar "cap and trade" market, was the final nail in the coffin of the Obama administration's effort to pass the controversial program meant to combat global warming.

Collapse of Chicago Climate Exchange Means a Strategy Shift on Global Warming Curbs - FoxNews.com

"Guess my times of riding this scam are quickly coming to an end."

Old 11-15-2010, 08:58 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,024 times
Quote:
Let me ask a simple question. In Florida, people who opt for Medicare Advantage plans, can do so and wind up getting the $96.40 they would have deducted for Medicare, back into their Soc Sec payment. The have a slightly better than Medicare, Private plan for Health Ins, free. I know that is not true in every state, but it may be in some others, I don't know. Ask youself, what does that mean? How can a private Ins Co provide a basic level of Ins to an Individual, free? Obviously, they cannot, so who's doing the paying, and how much? Medicare is subsidizing these Companies, why? Actually think about it.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upl...ac_mafacts.pdf

Now, there would be a number of Companies that would close up shop, but, they didn't even exist prior to the Advantage Plan Legislation. So, would there be a loss there?
I agree with abolishing the Advantae Plans,...but it's difficult for me to agree to cut reimbursement to physicians straight across the board when government reimburse presently covers so little of the cost of treatment.

If there is fraud,...remove it, ...overpayment,...remove it,....but why penalize physicians who are struggling financially to treat Medicare patients with what the government reimburses? The government established a program in the mid-1960s that has become the standard of pay for ALL insurance companies. Cutting Medicare reimbursement won't affect the doctors so much since they make so little off Medicare presently,...but it will affect the over-65 crowd's ability to access the healthcare system.

There's already thousands of doctores who will not accept new Medicare patients. That number will grow with more cuts in reimbursement.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:04 AM

277 posts, read 228,746 times
Quote:
Medicaid is run by the States. The waste and fraud would have to be cleaned up by them. How well will they do that? That's a very good question. Some do better than others.
medicaid is run by the states??? then why is it 300 billion of the FEDERAL budget

Old 11-15-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
I agree with abolishing the Advantae Plans,...but it's difficult for me to agree to cut reimbursement to physicians straight across the board when government reimburse presently covers so little of the cost of treatment.

If there is fraud,...remove it, ...overpayment,...remove it,....but why penalize physicians who are struggling financially to treat Medicare patients with what the government reimburses? The government established a program in the mid-1960s that has become the standard of pay for ALL insurance companies. Cutting Medicare reimbursement won't affect the doctors so much since they make so little off Medicare presently,...but it will affect the over-65 crowd's ability to access the healthcare system.

There's already thousands of doctores who will not accept new Medicare patients. That number will grow with more cuts in reimbursement.
What cuts to Medicare payments to Doctors are in the HC Law? The Doc fix problem, has been continually kicked down the road and needs to be resolved, but that has nothing to do with the HC Law. Maybe it should have, but it was not involved. What is in the HC Law, is work to be done on the Medicare compensation levels, not that they are going to go down, most likely, to be more reflective of the costs the Doctors are experiencing.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:08 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have always favoured rationing. Medical care should dispensed wisely where it will do the most good and not for merely keeping dead people alive.
We might accomplish wiser use of our $$$ if Sarah Palin quits flapping her trap about death panels and pulling the plug on grandma nonsense. Too many people out there, who don't know any better, actually fall for her nonsensical rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies