Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:01 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I see these kinds of chock-n-bull signs every year .. no big surprise there.

Hey, I know what ..

Let's cut the cost of this nations medical by actually cutting off the hand that feeds these insidious health care costs .. let's say we lock medicare payments in at 1980 levels .. and keep them there for 10 years.

You wanna see some fat get trimmed from the system? .. that's the only sure fire way to do it.

Doctors would actually have to "practice medicine" again in order to keep their customer base ..
You seem to have some cohones,...so let's solve the whole economic mess using your formula.

Let's reduce EVERYONE'S pay to the 1980 levels.

What is fair for physicians should be fair for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 03:03 PM

277 posts, read 228,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
A simpler way may be, no medical payments that exceed what Medicare would allow, be legally billed by anybody.
all that would lead to would be doctors going out of business

can you see it, any docotors visit not to exceed $30 (medicare/caid) reembursment....but we wont mention the fact that the docotr not only has to pay himself, but he also has to pay his nurse/receptionist/biller, and that the doctor actually has an electric bill, or a rent/mortgage, or a pproperty tax, or a malpractice insurance premium to pay

, but that doesnt matter does it

Old 11-15-2010, 04:55 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Marine 1967 View Post
all that would lead to would be doctors going out of business

can you see it, any docotors visit not to exceed $30 (medicare/caid) reembursment....but we wont mention the fact that the docotr not only has to pay himself, but he also has to pay his nurse/receptionist/biller, and that the doctor actually has an electric bill, or a rent/mortgage, or a pproperty tax, or a malpractice insurance premium to pay

, but that doesnt matter does it
I was being facetious with the suggestion, but you can see that the issue is somewhat complicated and will require some effort to come up with an equitable solution. But, it can be solved, if people(politicians), are willing to work at it. Medicare and Medicaid should not be a factor in whether or not a Doctor sees a patient. Obviously, if a Doctor makes more on a Corp exec than a welfare mother, the Doctor will tend to cater to the Exec. So, in the long run, I think we have to remove what a Doctor is paid from the Doctors decision process. The only way I can think that would do that, would be a system that allows for the same compensation, regardless of who the patient is. Now, how do you do that?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:10 PM

277 posts, read 228,805 times
Quote:
I was being facetious with the suggestion, but you can see that the issue is somewhat complicated and will require some effort to come up with an equitable solution. But, it can be solved, if people(politicians), are willing to work at it. Medicare and Medicaid should not be a factor in whether or not a Doctor sees a patient. Obviously, if a Doctor makes more on a Corp exec than a welfare mother, the Doctor will tend to cater to the Exec. So, in the long run, I think we have to remove what a Doctor is paid from the Doctors decision process. The only way I can think that would do that, would be a system that allows for the same compensation, regardless of who the patient is. Now, how do you do that?
but that runs into the same problem as setting a minimum wage for the nation, or saying 250k is rich

depending on where the doctor is located at (rent in Alabama is much different than rent in California) will depend on his costs to include rent/mortgae, taxes, elecrtic/gas costs, etc plus how many he/she has on staff

setting a federal standard that sets a visit at 50 might work real well in Mobile, AL, but it wont even pay the taxes in Manhatten, Ny.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:19 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
So, in the long run, I think we have to remove what a Doctor is paid from the Doctors decision process.
Whether it's a Doctor or a high school drop out they are worth what someone is willing to pay them.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Whether it's a Doctor or a high school drop out they are worth what someone is willing to pay them.
That is a basic difference between us, I do not believe a persons worth is dependent on the persons ability to pay. I believe, all persons have the same worth.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:10 AM

Some people have more abilities, skills and experience than others making them more valuable to society, as such they should be compensated for it. You are suggesting a communistic type society which looks great on paper but fails miserably in the real world.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Some people have more abilities, skills and experience than others making them more valuable to society, as such they should be compensated for it. You are suggesting a communistic type society which looks great on paper but fails miserably in the real world.
No, the issue is access to Health Care. That should not be dependent on what some people may perceive the worth of that individual is. An individual's value to society, does vary, depending on that person ability to contribute to society. People capable of contributing more, should be rewarded more, but that should have nothing to do with access to HC.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:43 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Doctors have the right and the duty to their practice to keep it going, to refuse to lose revenue that keeps their doors open.

Doctors are going to refuse Medicare, Medicaid and Tri-Care.
Or raise their cost to those that can pay full, to make up for the loss.

And you wonder why healthcare cost have skyrocketed!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
No, the issue is access to Health Care. That should not be dependent on what some people may perceive the worth of that individual is. An individual's value to society, does vary, depending on that person ability to contribute to society. People capable of contributing more, should be rewarded more, but that should have nothing to do with access to HC.
And your suggestion to fix this was to pay the Doctor a flat rate.
Quote:
So, in the long run, I think we have to remove what a Doctor is paid from the Doctors decision process. The only way I can think that would do that, would be a system that allows for the same compensation, regardless of who the patient is. Now, how do you do that?
The only way you do that is move to a communistic type society where you will limit the Doctors compensation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies