Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:40 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyfourth View Post
Please show the math and cite sources for numbers used.
In one of those links it said that for the US the rate is already over 700 by now. When someone says blacks account for 60% of them, let's cut that number more or less in half (assuming an ideal world, where black inmates represent their share of society). That leaves 350 or more of all other ethnic groups per 100,000 inmates. Compared to the numbers for Europe that have also been stated several times, that is 3 to 4 times higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:42 AM

63 posts, read 37,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In one of those links it said that for the US the rate is already over 700 by now. When someone says blacks account for 60% of them, let's cut that number more or less in half (assuming an ideal world, where black inmates represent their share of society). That leaves 350 or more of all other ethnic groups per 100,000 inmates. Compared to the numbers for Europe that have also been stated several times, that is 3 to 4 times higher.
please cite sources.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
So long as our prison system is filled with the poor and colored it is working fine.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
please cite sources.
You go look for them in this thread... I only processed the numbers given here by others.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:53 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
We are a vindictive violent society that has no hesitation in throwing people away. We are also so ignorant that we fail to realize that doing so often exceeds the crime that was committed in the first place.

I am constantly amazed at the complete lack of compassion that fellow Americans exhibit. So many feel no empathy for a person who suffered terribly and ends up 'crazy'. If that 'crazy' person commits a crime, we offer them NOTHING but prison. I wrote somewhere that I'm fine with someone being crazy as long as they can explain it to me. If a person's upbringing was full of horrible events, I can better relate to them and understand them. On a national level, we offer no such understanding. We are so obsessed with our own victimhood that we can't relate to anybody else. How did our supposed world-renowned and envied free society devolve into 310 million independent souls unable to feel anything for each other?

Let's house them at your house instead of sending them to prison! You can show them all the compassion you want. After they kill you in your sleep and escape, we can shoot them. However, we will need several hundred thousand people just like yourself, so if you do not mind, please provide that list.

This is a win-win situation. We will eliminate the majority of far left liberals and the criminals with one simple plan.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So long as our prison system is filled with the poor and colored it is working fine.

So are you suggesting the poor and minorities do not have a higher crime rate?

I guess that defies the reality of the crime statistics. Do you feel as though the poor and minority groups DO NOT HAVE a higher incidence of crime and are just misunderstood?

I have never been black or hispanic before, but I have been poor. I can tell you first hand that criminal activity is quite the norm among the poor and is a way of life. I committed crimes as a youth (never caught and no convictions), but do not see the need for such activity at this time. My wife has instilled a sense of morality in me as well which does not promote criminal activity.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:00 AM

Maybe only people who have committed or in some way knowingly or deliberately caused physical crimes against people should be sent to jail.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:02 AM

Minorities are more frequent in jails because of their statistically worse socioeconomic situation, not because they are minorities as such.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:08 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Minorities are more frequent in jails because of their statistically worse socioeconomic situation, not because they are minorities as such.
No, minorities are in jail because of a conservative conspiracy to jail as many non-whites as possible at least that's what liberals from California tell me . But in all seriousness, you are right. Minorities are in jail in very high numbers not because they are colored, but they are, statistically, very poor and poor people commit the lion's share of violent crimes

Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 AM

565 posts, read 485,903 times
Quote:
please cite sources.
The United States has the highest documented incarceration rate in the world.The U.S. incarceration rate on December 31, 2008 was 754 inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents, or 0.75% The USA also has the highest total documented prison and jail population in the world.[According to the U.S U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS): "In 2008, over 7.3 million people were on probation, in jail or prison, or on paroleat year-end — 3.2% of all U.S. adult residents or 1 in every 31 adults."

Incarceration in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies