Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are whites at large embarassed by being accused of discrimination (race, ethnicity, national origin,
It's very humiliating and embarassing. I would want to make things right or amends if possible. 3 4.62%
I'd be concerned but nothing more. 6 9.23%
No feelings about it what so ever. 19 29.23%
I do not care what minorities think, feel, perceive, or experience. 15 23.08%
I would feel good. I am okay with discrimination because I believe negative stereotypes are true. I prefer my own race and culture. 5 7.69%
Other thoughts, feelings, opinions, and ideas that I'd like to share on the forum. 17 26.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 12:23 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
The seeds of hate and intolerance are planted by those who allow themselves to be convinced that color is the primary indicator of certain attitudes and behaviors, and the basis upon which "rational" assumptions can be made as to the likelihood of any given person acting or believing a certain way. In reality, it is the intolerant one who is guilty of gross oversimplification.
Pattern recognition is not irrational or an oversimplification, nor is it even necessarily a bad thing. We all, regardless of race or gender, do it to some extent. It is only when an individual, on the basis of his/her observations, assumes that every single member of the group in question will unerringly exhibit the same observed patterns of behavior that he/she has crossed the line.

Although I agree with what you said, I still stand behind the idea that it is only when we get past the superficial hangups and address the cultural and behavioral differences (perhaps even possible genetically determined modes of thought) that we will finally get to the heart of the matter that will lead to the kind of understanding necessary for people to learn to more readily tolerate those differences. It is most often what we don't understand that we either fear, shun, or actively seek to destroy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,812 times
I would have added one more choice to the poll:

I think that minorities often misunderstand or misinterpret the motives and intentions of white people which leads to erroneous accusations of racism.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:14 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Wow, what a topic. An excellent one at that. Since this forum appears to be incresingly inhabited by Republicans who are letting off steam because of the sour grapes in losing the '08 election, stands to reason that most of the responses will indicate the GOP attitude towards minorities: They either 1) Don't care or 2) are Indifferent.

It is why the GOP will lose in 2012 and why they are a party in DECLINE. I call this PROGRESS.
I can tell you live in San Francisco Still haven't put down that Daily Kos have you? I remember them saying, as other liberal blogs and commentators, that the GOP has been relegated to the dustbin of history because of their so-called emphasize on white politics. Yeah, that's why the GOP is back in power this January and going back in power in 2012 . Lay off the medical weed

Old 11-16-2010, 06:41 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Again, one person or group making racist or racially insensitive remarks doesn't exonerate the Tea Party from the racial insensitivity they have shown.

If nothing else the remarks you posted show how much bigotry and racial insensitivity is rooted in American society.

Two wrongs don't make a right!
Fair enough, but then you can't single out the Tea Party. The Democrats, the NAACP, La RAZA, all of them are bigoted organizations because they have bigoted memberships. (According to your thinking.)

Old 11-16-2010, 06:43 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post

I think that minorities often misunderstand or misinterpret the motives and intentions of white people which leads to erroneous accusations of racism.
This is the box I would have checked.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:12 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post

If a White American is calling you the "N" word it's hard not to misunderstand their intentions.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:32 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
But you already characterized my words on the basis of color; or, more accurately, on the basis of your prejudiced idea of how my response reflects on my color and how my color should have influenced my response, without any experiential knowledge of me to draw from in the first place. In any case, it has been made abundantly clear in this thread that color indeed matters to you, no matter how many times you try to convince us that it does not. Indeed, in an ironic sort of way, the more you go on proclaiming your colorblindness, the more colorstruck you come off.
After reading several of your posts, I came to the conclusion that you're black. I cannot honestly see a white person coming here and saying that whites teach their white daughters that bringing home a black boy is not okay, unless you're one of the whites who was raised in a racist household. It's quite simple actually. And now you're refusing to tell me your race b/c you know it will prove my point.

I honestly do not care what you think about me being "colorstruck." The people on this thread and others have judged me for themselves and I've gotten more reps on these race-related threads and more friend requests based on what I've said than on any other topic. I think I might, just might, be onto something here. I will repeat myself yet again, it's not about race, it's about behavior.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
The party in Decline? I want some of what you're smoking.
The beauty of your decline is that you don't even see it coming. But by 2030 it will be right in front of your face and undeniable.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:40 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Wow, what a topic. An excellent one at that. Since this forum appears to be incresingly inhabited by Republicans who are letting off steam because of the sour grapes in losing the '08 election, stands to reason that most of the responses will indicate the GOP attitude towards minorities: They either 1) Don't care or 2) are Indifferent.

It is why the GOP will lose in 2012 and why they are a party in DECLINE. I call this PROGRESS.
Obviously someone didn't read the thread before spouting off.

Nobody is mad about losing the 2008 election, I think there are far more people here who are pissed about the Dems losing the mid-terms. The Repubs are amped that we won and will stop Obama in his tracks and have a great chance at winning 2012 now, and if people are still brainwashed by Obummer at that point in time, we'll most assuredly win in 2016.

If you notice, the poll results show that many people have said "other" and then gone on to explain that the poll is inherently biased b/c it assumes racism on the part of whites. Some people may not have realized that when they voted, thus the abundance of votes for the other answers.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I will repeat myself yet again, it's not about race, it's about behavior.
Then do yourself a favor and stop talking about Black Americans as a monolithic group. Based on posts you've made in other threads you've constantly used the term "Blacks" when talking about issues related to Black Americans. If there are a specific group of Black Americans with behaviors that you find objectionable then point out the behavior of that group instead of discussing Black Americans in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies