Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 10:52 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Provide me with what kind of "services" "without paying taxes" you think I may want?

Welfare - No, we don't need or collect welfare
Food Stamps - No, not those either. We have a quarter acre vegetable garden, some apple trees and berry bushes, (all of which we planted without government "services"), frugal shopping habits, and DH has a hunting license (something in common with Sarah)
WIC - No, I'm beyond the childbearing years, and our children are grown
SSI - No, DH and I are not collecting disability
Section 8 Housing - No, we worked hard and paid off our mortgage
Federally Funded Extended UI - No, I found another job
Heating Assistance - No, we have a large wood lot, a chain saw, and a fireplace
Government Funded Health Insurance - No, we have our own policy; we pay it ourselves. It's tough, but we manage.

Sorry to disappoint, but I can't think of one thing we need to ask of the government. Hard work on our land, and a combined 75 years of gainful employment between us (paying our share of taxes) took care of all of our needs and some of our wants. An amazing number of folks in this area share the same work ethic and conservative values, and they just don't see those qualities in Obama. We are what he doesn't like - people who want to take care of themselves without the help of the government.
Thank you for proving my point!

Yes, and it reaffirms my belief that repugs think that if they're fine, everything is fine...it's such a christian attitude

It's obvious you may never have used a public library, have no need for police, firefighters, and have never used roads, highways, or other public infrastructure(was it difficult building all your own roads?), have no use for laws or the justice system, don't care for safety standards for workers(OR BENEFITTED FROM THEM) and hate supporting our troops.

I did notice you left out commenting on the "moral fiber" part
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:53 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What do you watch on TV may I ask? Do you never watch reality TV?

This, like most TV is an escape from life for a few minutes in the form of entertainment. It is no different than watching the game show network, a comedy show like "Modern Family" or Sci Fi!!!

NIta
No, people with satellite do not watch reality tv and garbage. Most are educated, work and attend grad school.

They dont watch trash that dumbs down Americans while the economy is tanking. Its pablum for the uneducated poor.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Awwww, the job got hard? She quit. That makes her a quitter.

Elected office is not like running the local Chick-Fil-A. The people of Alaska bought her spiel, trusted her on her word that she would take on the job and do it well, and gave her their vote. She put her hand on a bible and took an oath to "faithfully discharge her duties to the best of her ability".

And when the gravy train came round the bend, she skedaddled as fast as her legs could carry her.

I do not blame her for taking on the VP candidacy. Obviously, anyone in public service can be excused for taking on a higher responsibility - so much is understood. But quitting office becauise there's better money elsewhere - that's not how elected officials are expected to act. And if I'd been an Alaska voter, I'd be pissed.
Exactly. She is just another narcissist wanting media attention. Thats fine, but God help us, please do not let her get a real job.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 AM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
No, people with satellite do not watch reality tv and garbage. Most are educated, work and attend grad school.

They dont watch trash that dumbs down Americans while the economy is tanking. Its pablum for the uneducated poor.
What a holier than thou post.

So people who watch reality tv are the uneducated poor? Way to cast such a wide net.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
That's the fun part...watching Sarah make millions off her slavering lust crazed followers...they have SOOO much in common...the fools must think they're all millionaires If they have so much in common....where's their TV shows?????

Not ONE of them has EVER posted a plan or an idea or a concrete suggestion with details that Palin has put forth....therefore , it's just that they like to hear whining and hatred directed at Obama....that's all....screeching bumper sticker slogans is all the poor things understand.

...and I guess they hate him , not because he's black, but because he can't BOWL well...yup, it ain't their brains they're thinking with...
For real. They want someone in office they'd like to have a beer with, and shoot the gossip at the local Texaco station

As long as this mentality exists nothing gets done in Washington. Havent seen anything good the Repubs are doing to counter the Dems either. But hey why acknowledge the reality of the economy when you can feed your kids Big Macs and watch TLC channel.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
We should all leave her children alone...unless of course she wants to exploit them for her latest reality show. (snicker)
...Its just gotta be that way, you betcha.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:05 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
I think Sarah Palin is likable enough as a person and unique personality and lifestyle. I would actually watch the show if I wasn't over her politically, with everyone thinking she's profound.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:07 AM

And no Palin does NOT represent moral fiber by quitting public office and allowing her daughter to have an illegitimate kid. She uses her kids as pawns, represents all that is wrong in America, and represents the hijacking of the poor Americans who believe she is the American dream while they get shafted and foreclosed on.

No one is listening to the real news, economic issues and bank corruption. Which is what the Repubs want anyway-mission accomplished

Old 11-17-2010, 11:14 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
And no Palin does NOT represent moral fiber by quitting public office and allowing her daughter to have an illegitimate kid. She uses her kids as pawns, represents all that is wrong in America, and represents the hijacking of the poor Americans who believe she is the American dream while they get shafted and foreclosed on.

No one is listening to the real news, economic issues and bank corruption. Which is what the Repubs want anyway-mission accomplished
Excuse me, but Palin did not "allow" her daughter to have an "illegitimate kid." It was Bristol's choice along with Levi (not that he's a winner, but it is his kid). What other option would you have chosen? Would you rather she have aborted the child instead? Bristol has slept with one guy in her life after being taught that abstinence is the best policy. As someone else said, the Democratic base has no right to point the finger at Bristol for having a child before marriage.

What has Palin done to use her kids as pawns, btw?

Old 11-17-2010, 11:19 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Thank you for proving my point!

Yes, and it reaffirms my belief that repugs think that if they're fine, everything is fine...it's such a christian attitude

It's obvious you may never have used a public library, have no need for police, firefighters, and have never used roads, highways, or other public infrastructure(was it difficult building all your own roads?), have no use for laws or the justice system, don't care for safety standards for workers(OR BENEFITTED FROM THEM) and hate supporting our troops.

I did notice you left out commenting on the "moral fiber" part
I didn't say we feel everything is "fine". It is for us, we are fortunate, but a lot of it is from years of hard work and a smart property purchase (which we obtained WITHOUT government support) that made it easy for us to be self sufficient. I'm all for taking assistance if you truly need it, but if those folks who are able to take care of themselves would make more of an effort to do so, and not go panhandling to the government for every entitlement they think they can get away with, it would leave more resources for those who really need it. You can't tell me that everyone on SSI, for example, truly has a diagnosis that will keep them from working. I worked in a psychologist's office for a time, and there are people who jump through hoops to get a mental illness diagnosis so they will be eligible for SSI.

Like I said in my post (if you read it clearly), I've paid my taxes through the years and continue to do so. My local taxes pay for our small police force and fire department. I use the library frequently, and make sure I give them a yearly donation. I support our troops, and don't begrudge my taxes that went into the new bridge in our area (if/when it is ever completed). I just do not want the government infringing into my life any more than necessary, and by not accepting any personal entitlements, I do not feel like a hypocrite.

As far as the moral fiber comment in your post (right before the smiling icons), I will be the first person to agree that Sarah should not have quit as governor. It was due to being sued, I understand. That is the first thing she did that disappointed me - I would have stayed, fought, and given them h***. We all have to do what we think is best for ourselves.

You seem to be somewhat angry today. You should be like your icons and smile more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies