Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:23 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times

Advertisements

Every time I read the newspaper there is some poll indicating that the war in Iraq is the biggest issue in the minds of most Americans and that a lot of them are against it. I remember that in the beginning there were strong support for this war. What happened to that support? Were you a supporter of the war then, but not now and for what reason? Have you always been against it? Is it because you think it is morally wrong? Are you against it because you hate Bush? Are you against it because you feel the government lied about it? Is it because American troops have died over there? I can't help but imaging that a lot of people are simply getting on the anti-war wagon because other people are doing it. Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 12:38 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,389,899 times
I am against how it was run. I believe we should've been brutal and ruthless and this is what we are against us. Can't remember who said it, but it's basically don't bring a knife to a gunfight. These animals over there don't play by rules, don't answer to the public and could care less what the media says about them. We for some reason caved into the whackos and the media and tried to fight a war that would appease them. They're basically idiots that have no clue on military strategy and are the last people in the world you should listen to..

Now for the bush lied, soldiers died fanboys.. and the no WMD's, the only went there for oil and the rest of the clueless wonders..

BTW, I worked the counter terrorism mission for five years and am all for exterminating the islamists from the Earth..

Old 07-09-2007, 12:46 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I am against how it was run. I believe we should've been brutal and ruthless and this is what we are against us. Can't remember who said it, but it's basically don't bring a knife to a gunfight. These animals over there don't play by rules, don't answer to the public and could care less what the media says about them. We for some reason caved into the whackos and the media and tried to fight a war that would appease them. They're basically idiots that have no clue on military strategy and are the last people in the world you should listen to..

Now for the bush lied, soldiers died fanboys.. and the no WMD's, the only went there for oil and the rest of the clueless wonders..

BTW, I worked the counter terrorism mission for five years and am all for exterminating the islamists from the Earth..
Hmmm the media..they should almost be banned from covering it.
The tabloid like journalists far outnumber responsible reporters.

War is brutal, no sugarcoating.....my beef is we should have gone in kicked azz and took no prisoners.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:59 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
There are two reasons for me.
1. If we are free to go into a foreign to take down a leader that we don't like, then we give that same freedom for another country to try and take down our leader if they don't like him.

2. Our leaders were (and still are) totally ignorant about the people over there, what they want and what they would support. They assumed that they were just like us.

There is no good way to finish this off. The more we try to impose OUR will, the worse that it's going to be. They can fight like this for 100 years.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:05 PM

434 posts, read 1,653,219 times
I have five major problems with it.

1-The reasons the administration gave to get support going in were based on lies.

2-We went in half-assed with absolutely no strategy. Woohoo, we overrun Baghdad. That's where their plan ended.

3-Instead of using the rebuilding process as a way to get the Iraqi's involved in an Iraq without Saddam, this administration gave all the contracts to their buddies who bathed in their money and washed out a lot of the goodwill of the Iraqi people.

4-We really screwed up the lives of the Iraqi people. Yes, there were some living in horrible conditions under Saddam, but now for the most part, people are worse off. We have further destabilized an unstable to begin with region.

5-Our soldiers are being forced into longer and more frequent deployments than they should because every step of planning was so poorly drawn up and executed by the people who orchestrated this war.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:09 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post

5-Our soldiers are being forced into longer and more frequent deployments than they should because every step of planning was so poorly drawn up and executed by the people who orchestrated this war.
Boy if that isn't the truth....my heart goes out to these gals & guys....especilly the ones thinking home is just around the corner only to learn their stay has been extended.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:14 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
To invade a country under the flimsy guise of bringing them democracy and the pretext of some spurious link between Saddam and Al Quaeda is a pretty serious crime. Iraq never had WMDs , everybody knew that but the lure of huge reserves of oil was just too tempting... America believed it could kick butt in Iraq and were proven wrong in a spectacular fashion. The war was illegal and immoral and has caused so many American casualties and 650000 innocent civilians'deaths. It has made the US the most hated and ridiculed place on the planet and managed to bring Iran and Iraq closer which is a disaster for everyone. It has radicalised thousands of Muslims who were previously no threat at all to anybody and made the most secular Islamic Nation into a hotbed for fundamentalism. It has also meant gross breaches of human rights . The Iraq war is wrong on so many levels , it is amazing Bush got away with this kind of crime against humanity and not been impeached yet.
He lied to Americans, sent troops to be slaughtered , made a bad situation in the middle East about 500 times worse and contributed to the worldwide increase in terrorism. What a fantastic success for his administration. How on earth does he get away with it? He should bottle this kind of luck , and sell it...

Old 07-09-2007, 01:15 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post

Sean Connery from "The Untouchables" for starters.... Not sure if someone else said it or not.

As far as the question goes???

I was initially for the war. This is where I don't understand some of the Dems (no, ALL politicians bactracking) who initially voted for it but are now against the war. If they hadn't have been so worried about Politi-speak and just SAID WHAT THEY MEANT the U.S. public would have gotten it.

"I voted TO AUTHORIZE THE PRESIDENT TO HAVE THE USE OF FORCE IN IRAQ if necessary based on the evidence that was presented to us by our (and Britain's) intelligence findings. I did NOT vote FOR WAR necessarily, NOR did I vote to abandon all other courses of action in favor of the use of force. As it turned out EVERY reason for going to war has been virtually debunked and it has become obvious that we have not planned for what was to follow. Thus I am now against the War in Iraq, though I still feel the U.S. bears the responsibility for cleaning up it's mess, so I CANNOT authorize or vote for a time table or outright pulling out of Iraq either at this time."

I don't know why this is so hard for a politician to say without *****-footing around. Some finally did say something similar on excuse try #4 or 5, but why these people can't just SAY IT....

I did and it's basically my feelings about it.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:21 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,572 times
I was against the war from the beginning. After 9-11 I thought we certainly needed to take some severe military action, perhaps repeatedly. But there was never any reason to actually invade another nation. It's nearly impossible to win a war against well financed, well equipped terrorists. We destroyed Iraq's economy and most of their infrastructure, then pat ourselves on the back when we restore their power and water. All while Americans are continuing to die. This is one of the biggest foreign policy blunders of all time. We are spending two billion dollars a week that we don't have. We have stuck our noses into middle-eastern politics for generations now, and it has resulted in nothing but chaos. We try to be the worlds policeman, and it very frequently results in making the situation worse rather than better. I understand the motivating factor, it's the oil. If the middle-east didn't have oil we wouldn't care so much about it. Oil is the life's blood of not only our economy, but the worlds as well. I think Bush was too quick to the gun with our military in regard to Iraq, and the result is an extremely unstable middle-east. He blew a lot of worldwide goodwill that we had initially and has demonstrated the textbook example of how not to deal with the middle-east. Sooner or later we will have to leave. And when we do it will be a lot more unstable than it was before we invaded Iraq.

Bush lost support for his war when it became obvious his reasons for invading Iraq were faulty. This is the information age, The American public is better informed than in generations past, and it just seems there are too many questions regarding Bush's motivation for bringing us into this war. Don't misunderstand me, I voted for Bush. I'm not a liberal who's looking for a reason to bash the president for political gain. But when such a huge percentage of the American public want us out of Iraq there has to be a good reason and the politicians that continue to support this war will do so at their own peril. Politicians are elected officials and any politician that votes to support this war is voting to continue a failed policy and the American public will respond accordingly in the next election. We need to pull out of Iraq, but Bush is either unable or unwilling to do what is necessary to demonstrate leadership on this issue. To make matters worse, we will most likely watch thousands of more Americans die in a useless war in addition to spending probably another couple hundred billion dollars we don't have all before Bush leaves office.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:23 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
I was against the war BEFORE it began. My view was that although Saddam was garbage, he probably didn't have weapons of mass destruction, based upon the comments of those who were doing inspections. He certainly made the process difficult, and I wouldn't have minded a small military action to get him to knock it off, but not what we did. More of an aircraft oriented action against his compound.

I believe we need to pay back Bin Laden and his group, and I viewed Saddam as not a part of it at all. I felt he served a decent purpose in keeping Iran sufficiently occupied, preventing their attempting to expand their regional influence.

I also believe that the Arab world doesn't fight wars like we do, that the aftermath could be quite messy. I didn't see it being this bad, but I believed that the Iraq factions would be maiming each other fairly regularly, with some US casualties too.

I also wanted us to be a viable threat to North Korea and their constant threats, and felt that the occupation lessens our ability to do so. This, fortunately, has not yet been the problem that I was dreading.

Finally, I didn't want to have a situation where Russia, who I do not trust at all, would have a role as the peacemaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies