Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:52 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
This has nothing to do with raising your children and everything to do with kids being able to get along in a school setting. If you want to make your own home a shrine to the Ku Klux Klan, there is no law I know of preventing you from doing so; there is no law against teaching those values to your kids, either. But when they set foot in a public school classroom they cease being merely "your kids." They are kids who are expected to conduct themselves in a manner so as to get along with other people and observe outward signs of respect--whatever you may choose to teach them elsewhere.
It is the parent's responsibility to see that their children conduct themselves properly in a public setting -- such as a school. The school's only obligation should be to establishing discipline commensurate with a child's transgressions. If a child is a bully -- suspend him/her for a few days. a week, and inconvenience the parents of said bully. They need to learn how to teach their child properly, or they should be the ones throwing their hands up and sending the child to public school. All too often the victim is forced to take action and the bully remains.

Too many people are abdicating their parental responsibilities to the school districts. Showing a movie about Amanda's two dads or transgendered Tomasina will enlighten those students who want to be enlightened. Chances are the film will provide the bully more things to bully the victim with.

I dealt with a bully for several years in JrHS and HS. A movie wouldn't have stopped this person. The teachers turned a blind eye. I was physically sick and my grades suffered. I missed class time because I was in the nurse's office getting sick. I missed gym classes out of fear of being cornered in a locker room. To this day I have no idea as to why I was targeted. Too smart? Too quiet?

Showing movies is a hands-off approach on the district's part. Unless they start rolling up their sleeves and taking an active part in disciplining bullies and protecting victims, nothing is going to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:55 AM

243 posts, read 274,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Have kids suddenly become wimps while I wasn't looking? I'm hearing all this talk about ‘bullying’ all of a sudden. I’ve heard more about it in the past six months than I have in the past 16 years. I guess its because one homosexual student got picked on. Never mind the decades that kids have been picked on because of their body shape or being the only White kid in a Hispanic school. Homosexuals are the sacred cow now so suddenly bullying is a problem.

You don’t solve the issue of bullying by talking to the bully. You solve it by standing up to the bully and letting them know you won’t take it anymore. Once, in high school there was this big Black drummer who liked to pick on my on the bus rides to the games every Friday (we were in the marching band). He’d shove me from behind of flick the back of my head. He was considerably bigger than me and a physical confrontation between us could only have one outcome. Nevertheless, I decided to do something about it. One Friday on the bus, after he flicked the back of my head after walking by to take his seat farther back, I turned to him and told him that when we reached the game he and I were going to have it out once we got off the bus. He laughed and didn’t think much of it. When we reached our destination and were ready to get off the bus I was hopped up on adrenalin and ready to fight. Naturally I was expecting to lose badly since I was physically outmatched so I did what any smart person would do; I cheated. I slipped the brass mouthpiece of my trumpet into my gloves (which I was not wearing) and planned to use it like a sap. I figured I’d get one good shot at his head before he clobbered me but one good shot was all I would need. The anticlimax is that word reached the bandleader before the fight could start and we never fought. However, the lesson was learned: I would not be picked on anymore. I never had to worry about him again. THAT’S how you deal with bullies. Not this PC emotionally-feely crap.
Good story!! If this was really intended to stop bullying, I might have a better opinion about it, but it's not it's just another way to push views that I don't want taught to MY kids, what other people teach theirs is their own business.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:57 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It is the parent's responsibility to see that their children conduct themselves properly in a public setting -- such as a school. The school's only obligation should be to establishing discipline commensurate with a child's transgressions. If a child is a bully -- suspend him/her for a few days. a week, and inconvenience the parents of said bully. They need to learn how to teach their child properly, or they should be the ones throwing their hands up and sending the child to public school. All too often the victim is forced to take action and the bully remains.

Too many people are abdicating their parental responsibilities to the school districts. Showing a movie about Amanda's two dads or transgendered Tomasina will enlighten those students who want to be enlightened. Chances are the film will provide the bully more things to bully the victim with.

I dealt with a bully for several years in JrHS and HS. A movie wouldn't have stopped this person. The teachers turned a blind eye. I was physically sick and my grades suffered. I missed class time because I was in the nurse's office getting sick. I missed gym classes out of fear of being cornered in a locker room. To this day I have no idea as to why I was targeted. Too smart? Too quiet?

Showing movies is a hands-off approach on the district's part. Unless they start rolling up their sleeves and taking an active part in disciplining bullies and protecting victims, nothing is going to change.
I agree with the above.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Have kids suddenly become wimps while I wasn't looking? I'm hearing all this talk about ‘bullying’ all of a sudden. I’ve heard more about it in the past six months than I have in the past 16 years. I guess its because one homosexual student got picked on. Never mind the decades that kids have been picked on because of their body shape or being the only White kid in a Hispanic school. Homosexuals are the sacred cow now so suddenly bullying is a problem.

You don’t solve the issue of bullying by talking to the bully. You solve it by standing up to the bully and letting them know you won’t take it anymore. Once, in high school there was this big Black drummer who liked to pick on my on the bus rides to the games every Friday (we were in the marching band). He’d shove me from behind of flick the back of my head. He was considerably bigger than me and a physical confrontation between us could only have one outcome. Nevertheless, I decided to do something about it. One Friday on the bus, after he flicked the back of my head after walking by to take his seat farther back, I turned to him and told him that when we reached the game he and I were going to have it out once we got off the bus. He laughed and didn’t think much of it. When we reached our destination and were ready to get off the bus I was hopped up on adrenalin and ready to fight. Naturally I was expecting to lose badly since I was physically outmatched so I did what any smart person would do; I cheated. I slipped the brass mouthpiece of my trumpet into my gloves (which I was not wearing) and planned to use it like a sap. I figured I’d get one good shot at his head before he clobbered me but one good shot was all I would need. The anticlimax is that word reached the bandleader before the fight could start and we never fought. However, the lesson was learned: I would not be picked on anymore. I never had to worry about him again. THAT’S how you deal with bullies. Not this PC emotionally-feely crap.

Where have you been for the past, IDK, 20 years, Roger?

Once upon a time, these are things that could be done. They aren't anymore and haven't been for a very long time.

The reality is that some moron thought Zero Tolerance was a good idea. Both kids get bounced out of school and are often arrested on a Battery charge. Some are suspended pending expulsion. Where have you been?

The schools refuse to take action and refuse to allow the kids to defend themselves. Further, there are kids that do not want to fight. AND shouldn't have to. Again, where have you been?

No, not one kid that is homosexual but many, including those that aren't. Again, where have you been?

What a quaint story.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Great- than you will have no problem Keeping YOUR KID out of MY KID'S school.

Because my kids are not bullies, and I will not tolerate them being bullied by kids whose parents think they do not have to play by the same rules as the rest of society.

Go up to the mountains and join a freeman group and ride out the the end of the world away from us.
Mine aren't either, in fact one of them has been bullied before but not for any of the reasons you're so worried about. Society? I thought it was everybody's job to change society. That's what the liberals have been screaming for fifty years. By the way people like me have been trying to get away from yall for decades now but as soon as your by yourselves you decide to up and move next door to us. And like I've said before this is NOT about bullying it's just a crowd that thinks they have the right to shove views on children in the hope that they'll be talked or bullied into doing things they wouldn't have done otherwise.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:12 AM

Sweet, being gay is catching.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Sweet, being gay is catching.
Well if kids can be talked into trying drugs, because of pressure and that's by individual people, now what if the school was trying to pressure them into doing something? That's all this is about. Not a **** thing to do with bullying.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwater View Post
Well if kids can be talked into trying drugs, because of pressure and that's by individual people, now what if the school was trying to pressure them into doing something? That's all this is about. Not a **** thing to do with bullying.
You honestly think that your child will be pressured into having sex with a person of the same sex after watching a video that says, "Hey, this world is made up of all kinds of people"?

Your right, it has nothing to do with bullying. Your not interested in bullying or preventing it. You're hiding your own ignorance and fear in the name of your children.

These movies are the LEAST that the school could do.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:51 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Unless they start rolling up their sleeves and taking an active part in disciplining bullies and protecting victims, nothing is going to change.

Yes, but that is what the Vallejo school FAILED to do. They failed the student and now have to watch movies as ENLIGHTENMENT.

If we had teacher who were pro active and got involved, this would not be a problem.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
If schools could expel kids and only keep the ones who were obedient and wanted to learn we wouldn't have this problem. But since schools can't do that they are going to get more involved that some people want them to be. There is no choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies