Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:54 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
teachers turned a blind eye
Of course they do, because the bully's parents will sue.

In the old days, a teacher could spank a child. In the event of a fight, it was ok to actually punch a child to stop them from hurting themselves and others.

Those days are gone . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 04:14 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwater View Post
Really cause there's lot of women right now having gay "relations" that are not actually gay, they do it because some people have told them they should, that it's ok even if they're not all that comfortable with it. If someone does certain things because they want to it's one thing, it may be wrong to me but it's of their own free will, it's another when they're pressured into it by someone else even if that someone is the school.
The school isn't pressuring anyone to be gay, seriously where do you come up with this stuff? All the school is doing is teaching children that you shouldn't pick on those who are different and shouldn't pick on someone for being gay.

For anyone to have problems with kids being taught this very basic level of decency is simply beyond the pail.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:22 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
LOL, turning straight kids gay, please. It doesn't exactly work that way. I am strongly in favor of gay rights, strongly in favor of Gay Marriage, repealing DADT, etc, but I'm straight and nothing is going to turn me gay.

You are not a child. You have already established your sexual identity through development. Children haven't. Many of us (including the APA before the late 1970's) believe homosexuality is a learned behavior. Seeing others model that behavior and being accepted for it certainly can increase the chance of that behavior being adopted in others. Those that think homosexuality is something some people are born with will obviously not see it that way and I'm sure you are one of those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They aren't being pressured to do things they don't want to do.

They are being pressured to be tolerant of others who are different.

Or is tolerance of others who are different the thing that you disagree with?

Are you saying that tolerance is unacceptable? Pressuring children to be tolerant is unacceptable?
They don't want tolerance. They want acceptance, which is a level higher than tolerance. Tolerance is being left alone while still viocing one's opinion that the activity in question is wrong. Acceptance is wholeheartedly embracing the activity.

Quote:
Tolarance to me means I'll leave you alone. Not I'll take part in everything you do to prove I like you. And that's what they're teaching, not be nice to everybody.
Well said.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:41 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Wow. How can you be disgusted because I don't want my children to be encouraged to be gay or any other left version of what people should do ? I also don't see myself as a great evil either. It always gets me that my beliefs can be p***** all over by some and I'm told "to get over it" but let me disagree with their opinions and all of a sudden I'm evil and disgusting.LOL Well you know what if it takes being called evil and disgusting to make sure my kids grow up without being pressured by the school to do things they don't want to then fine. I can handle it.

I am disgusted because this type of ignorance is evil. And it isn't that you are not capable of understanding how sexuality works. It is the fact that you didn't bother to educate yourself. The great tragedy here is that you are so engulfed in your own fears that you have chosen to gift that to your own children. Lady, that is heartbreaking.

And the KKK didn't view themselves as evil either. And that type of hatred and fear is always evil. And for someone to firmly believe that there is a plot designed in these films to force your children to engage in any type of sex is just mind blowing and exhibits deep paranoia. Unnecessary.

And yes, I'm disgusted that one would think that equality and treating people with dignity is equated with shoving things down your throat.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:44 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
You are not a child. You have already established your sexual identity through development. Children haven't. Many of us (including the APA before the late 1970's) believe homosexuality is a learned behavior. Seeing others model that behavior and being accepted for it certainly can increase the chance of that behavior being adopted in others. Those that think homosexuality is something some people are born with will obviously not see it that way and I'm sure you are one of those people.

They don't want tolerance. They want acceptance, which is a level higher than tolerance. Tolerance is being left alone while still viocing one's opinion that the activity in question is wrong. Acceptance is wholeheartedly embracing the activity.

Well said.
Children aren't going to become gay because they are taught not to harass and bully gay people. It simply doesn't work that way.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:15 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
Tolarance to me means I'll leave you alone. Not I'll take part in everything you do to prove I like you. And that's what they're teaching, not be nice to everybody.
Who's teaching that? Please link us to some sort of proof of that assertion.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:38 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Quote:
I don't hate them at all. But yes I do think all this is about is turning straight kids gay. I don't want kids bullied, I was and I know what it's like somewhat, also I think just about every kid gets bullied at some time while they're at school.
I know a fair number of same gender couples with kids. Not one of the kids is Gay. Every Gay person I know was raised by straight parents. Admittedly this is just anecdotal, but if you are really concerned about your kids perhaps you should have them spend more time with a same gendered couple.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:21 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,173 times
I can't even continue a conversation with Well because he is just too crazy for me to continue a conversation with. His ignorance and FEAR of gay people is hysterical.

If people can be turned gay by peer pressure or association, then why are many children of gay parents, STRAIGHT?

Talk about pressure, you all want to please mom and dad which is why most people used to hide their true identity.

PS Gay parents raise ABOVE AVERAGE children

Gay Parents Have Well-Adjusted Kids | Psych Central News
A new study suggests children of gay parents are not only psychologically healthy, but often appear to exhibit better social and academic adjustment and a significantly lower incidence of social problems than their peers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
You are not a child. You have already established your sexual identity through development. Children haven't. Many of us (including the APA before the late 1970's) believe homosexuality is a learned behavior.
Pretty much every scientific evidence points to it being BORN behavior.

Boys with big brothers more likely to be gay | Mail Online

[LEFT]For every older brother a man has, the chances of him being gay increases by 33 per cent.
However, the researchers think their findings are linked to what happens in the womb, rather than the effects of growing up among older boys.
For decades, academics have argued over nature versus nurture - whether individuals are born gay, or become gay because of where and how they grow up.
Now Canadian psychologist Ray Blanchard says the answer depends on how many older brothers a man has.
He studied the family backgrounds of 302 gay men and the same number of straight men. All were white and none were twins, he told the journal New Scientist.
The gay men, had, on average, 1.32 older brothers compared to heterosexual men, who had an average of
0.96 older brothers. There was virtually no difference in numbers of other siblings - suggesting there is no truth in the theory that a lone boy with lots of sisters is more likely to grow up gay.

Read more: Boys with big brothers more likely to be gay | Mail Online
[/LEFT]

Old 11-17-2010, 07:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Why are these movies then singling out harassment of gay children ?
Why just this topic. That's the issue here..not the bullying.
Because of the lawsuit brought by the gay student against the school and teachers ?

From the OP link:
"Each of the films in part deals with harassment and bullying based on sexual orientation."

Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why are these movies then singling out harassment of gay children ?
Why just this topic. That's the issue here..not the bullying.
Because of the lawsuit brought by the gay student against the school and teachers ?

From the OP link:
"Each of the films in part deals with harassment and bullying based on sexual orientation."
Why are you minimizing?

Why don't we nice-shiny-object-over-here-so-we-don't-address-the-issue?
Well, then if you meant it than nice-shiny-object-over-here-so-we-don't-address-the-issue.
You obviously aren't serious because if you were than nice-shiny-object-over-here-so-we-don't-address-the-issue.

Have the balls to admit that this is a problem. Have the balls to admit that it is really damn bad. Have the balls to admit that you don't give a damn because it doesn't affect you. Then lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies