Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:00 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yes, that is exacly what I am saying. Those techniques WERE legal until Obama got into office. That was one of the first things he changed. He made those techniques illegal, but now he just ships the people to other countries where it is legal...RENDITION. So is Obama really any better?
Torture is not legal in the US. It wasn't under Bush and it isn't under Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 01:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
So why won't Yemen capture him? Why is that? Why can't we go get him? If he gets killed in a firefight so be it.
Won't or can't?

Since 2009 al-Awlaki has gone to ground in an area of the Shabwa mountains controlled by his tribal relations.

Quote:
Why can't we go get him?
You can't get what you can't find.

Quote:
If he gets killed in a firefight so be it.
So, it's ok if the U.S. kills him just as long as it is a fair fight?

Old 11-16-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I think there is a huge difference between waterboarding someone with medical staff present and putting people in ovens and gas chambers. Even you know there is a difference.
No there isn't a legal difference. In fact ,the Japanese were tried and convicted for water boarding after WWII by the Americans.

You think water boading is legal because the Americans do it.

It's the standard justification for torture all over the World.

We're doing it, but just a little bit, and besides they deserve it, and we're the good guys.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:05 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times
Quote:
I think there is a huge difference between waterboarding someone with medical staff present and putting people in ovens and gas chambers. Even you know there is a difference.

Please stop trying to act like you care. This would be a non-isssue for you if the president was a Republican. You wouldn't see anything atrocious about the government killing a known terrorist. No matter how many names you throw out or other situations, it does not justify the OP's lame attempt to make the president appear to be a cold blooded murder/dictator who plans to kill innocent citizens of the USA. You and the likes of you have been exposed and it is very clear that your hatred for the POTUS trumps all else, including morals, ethics, sanity and LOVE FOR YOUR COUNTRY. Are you for or against the death penalty? In case you aren't aware, those are mostly United States citizens on death row.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:08 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Who is authorized to just kill someone on sight? Come on, tell us? You know the answer is NOBODY! Police just can't shoot people for the hell of it, even if they are shot at and the assailant is running away.
Actually, you are pretty badly mistaken. In the first place, this is hardly an example of shooting somebody "for the hell of it." There are actually very good reasons we might want to shoot these people. And of course, the orders are kill or capture... not kill.

More to the point with the police example, enforcement authorities are authorized to shoot when they believe it necessary to shoot. It's always a judgment call. After the fact, we hold the person accountable for that judgment... but it remains exactly what it always has been. A judgment call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD
You purposely muddied this up to fit your snarky agenda.
To the contrary.

I add only clarity by clearing out all the smoke you guys are blowing.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Actually, you are pretty badly mistaken. In the first place, this is hardly an example of shooting somebody 'for the hell of it." There are actually very good reasons we might want to shoot these people. And of course, the orders are kill or capture... not kill.

More to the point with the police example, enforcement authorities are authorized to shoot when they believe it necessary to shoot. It's always a judgment call. After the fact, we hold the person accountable for that judgment... but it remains exactly what it always has been. A judgment call.

To the contrary.

I add only clarity by clearing out all the smoke you guys are blowing.
We understand the situation perfectly.

You think it's OK for the President to kill somebody if he has "good reasons"....without a Judge or the legislative branch being involved. No oversight whatsoever.

You're a typical authoritarian. The World is full of your type.

And BTW, how in the hell do you know what their orders are???? Have you seen the orders??? They said "capture" as well???? Share your knowledge with us!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:14 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
The two words "deem" and "believe" usually comprise a get out of jail free card.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You think it's OK for the President to kill somebody if he has "good reasons"....without a Judge or the Legislative Branch being involved. No oversight whatsoever.
Of course. Somebody has to do it. In this country, it's the executive branch with that role.

Welcome to the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher
You're a typical authoritarian. The World is full of your type.
Of course the world is filled with my type. Without my type we would never have become civilized.

Edited to respond to your edit:

Quote:
And BTW how in the hell do you know what their order are???? Have you seen the orders??? They said "capture" as well???? Share your knowledge with us????
Have you not been reading the coverage? These have always been kill or capture orders.

http://www.examiner.com/cia-in-natio...nwar-al-awlaki

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ew-c-mccarthy#

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7089899.ece

Old 11-16-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Of course. Somebody has to do it. In this country, it's the executive branch with that role.

Welcome to the real world.

Of course the world is filled with my type. Without my type we would never have become civilized.
Yes you're a very brave keyboard warrior.

So you can stop trying to compare this with justified police killings, and telling us about the secret orders you know nothing about talking about "capture" as well.

You think the the President can kill US citizens without oversight. Period.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes you'e r a very brave keyboard warrior.
Actually, I'm a West Point Grad and I have had bullets fired at me in anger more than once. So, I'm more than merely a keyboard type.

Quote:
So you can stop trying to compare this with justified police killings, and telling us about the secret orders you know nothing about talking about "capture" as well.
Sorry, I cannot comply. Your hand ringing generates no obligation by me to pretend you hold a valid position.

Edited again to respond to your edit:

Quote:
You think the the President can kill US citizens without oversight. Period.
Nonsense.

I believe that the president has the executive responsibility to defend out nation, and that sometimes it includes targeting people to be captured or killed. Like any other law enforcement person on the planet.

There is always oversight. But because reality does not give a good god damn about your sensitive feeling, sometimes that oversight must be after the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies