Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:24 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,923,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Everyone already pays various taxes,on gasoline,on everything sold,it is just added into the price.
Everyone does that is true, but you do know how difficult it is to get 1 cent tax passed on goods. You don't think people are going to balk at paying an additional 2600 on a 10K car. Get real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:28 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Everyone does that is true, but you do know how difficult it is to get 1 cent tax passed on goods. You don't think people are going to balk at paying an additional 2600 on a 10K car. Get real.
As your income would be increased due to no taxes taken out BEFORE you get your check people might not feel the same way.

Plus the Fair Tax only applies to NEW items,buying a used would cost you nothing in sales tax,therefore encouraging people to buy used.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,458,569 times
2% Federal & 8% State = 10% Total

Old 11-18-2010, 08:35 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,645,668 times
I see that KevK understands the problem. As far as "punishing" the poor deserving hard working rich is concerned it has been my observation that the poor work harder than anyone else and that nothing anyone can do justifies a multimillion dollar income.

I have also observed that any individual starting out without capital or support has a better chance of willing Powerball. Out economic system is set up to punish people for being born poor or becoming poor because of some unforeseen calamity. It is not set up to generate wealth except for the already wealthy. Working either hard or smart does not provide wealth except for the very few. Let those few along with their already wealthy contemporaries pay for the government that protects them.

Let them pay their bills. I already paid mine.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
As your income would be increased due to no taxes taken out BEFORE you get your check people might not feel the same way.

Plus the Fair Tax only applies to NEW items,buying a used would cost you nothing in sales tax,therefore encouraging people to buy used.
You are not following me. Most of the lower middle income earners get all of their taxes back at the end of the year. All they are going to see with the new tax is paying 2600 more on a car, and you can get a new car for 10K. This has absolutely no chance. If you tell an earner this little snippet, they will not vote for it. I would love for the Republicans to roll this tax out. They would be gone very quickly. They won't do it. It would be suicide.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,178,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I see that KevK understands the problem. As far as "punishing" the poor deserving hard working rich is concerned it has been my observation that the poor work harder than anyone else and that nothing anyone can do justifies a multimillion dollar income.

I have also observed that any individual starting out without capital or support has a better chance of willing Powerball. Out economic system is set up to punish people for being born poor or becoming poor because of some unforeseen calamity. It is not set up to generate wealth except for the already wealthy. Working either hard or smart does not provide wealth except for the very few. Let those few along with their already wealthy contemporaries pay for the government that protects them.

Let them pay their bills. I already paid mine.
I don't think you get it....the poor don't pay any of the bills right now, and the wealthy pay the majority of them already.

And you are incredibly naive if you think hard work cannot gain wealth. Read a book called 'Outliers' by Malcolm Gladwell. It is an analysis of those who are very, very successful, and is a decent read. Wealth creation is not a mystery and it is not dumb luck. Tell me - how many hours have you spent on increasing your skills in investing/real estate/entrepreneurship? The rule of thumb I have heard is that it takes about 10,000 hours to become a true expert in any field. Are you close to that many hours spent in trying to be better at creating wealth? If so, and you are not wealthy, then I apologize. If not, stop complaining and study up! There are plenty of books to read, articles to browse and lectures to attend on the subject.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:10 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,832,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
You are not following me. Most of the lower middle income earners get all of their taxes back at the end of the year. All they are going to see with the new tax is paying 2600 more on a car, and you can get a new car for 10K. This has absolutely no chance. If you tell an earner this little snippet, they will not vote for it. I would love for the Republicans to roll this tax out. They would be gone very quickly. They won't do it. It would be suicide.
No,no they don't.
You 'might' get back some of your fed or state income tax but you certainly do not get back all the other taxes you pay throughout the year such as gasoline tax.

Plus buying a used car would mean NO sales tax paid....

Old 11-18-2010, 09:32 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,645,668 times
hnsq -

I have invested my talents in studying the physical environment to make the world a better place for all to share. I have done a reasonable job at achieving that goal. My personal goal has never been to be wealthy. It has been to be comfortable and surrounded by people I care about. I am very successful by that standard. You are right that I could have tried to become wealthy but I would not desire to be rich and lonely.

I base my tax proposals on the principal that you should pay for what you get. If you have a huge amount of wealth protected by our Law you should pay for that protection. I have very little and pay an extraordinary amount to protect it.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
No,no they don't.
You 'might' get back some of your fed or state income tax but you certainly do not get back all the other taxes you pay throughout the year such as gasoline tax.

Plus buying a used car would mean NO sales tax paid....
We are not talking about other taxes. No one has said that the Fed refunds local sales tax. We are talking about Fed taxes and I am talking about a new car. Please make a new arguement. I get what you are saying, but here it is simply put to Joe Voter.

The Republicans want to charge you 26% taxes on a new car and gasoline and all other NEW consumable goods including food. This is in addition to the 10% that you already pay....Oh yeah. Roll that one out baby.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 AM

63 posts, read 37,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
15-20%.

IF they begin to be good stewards of our money.
Way too high, and they will NEVER become good stewards of our money, for it is in THEIR INTEREST to be BAD STEWARDS of our money. Such is government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies