Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:10 AM

1,263 posts, read 2,331,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yes, I'm sure that's what you and everyone else's grandmother thinks. But when the TSA actually exercises the right to intervene quite deeply where it thinks it sees something, suddenly everyone will be screaming bloody murder - both the right and the left-wingers. In Israel, they are not so squeamish about these sorts of things.
I think the reason that Israelis and non-Israelis travelling to Israel are more tolerant of security measures is that they experienced much more danger than Americans ever have. In the late 60's and 70's, Palestinian terrorists went on a spree of hijackings, murders of passengers, and airport attacks. One plane was blown up in midair.

That was a long time ago. The tight security measures put an end to all of that. There are very professional El Al plain clothes agents in the terminal watching everybody. If anyone looks or acts suspicious they are interrogated. In addition to the other security measures. Lines are not long.
No one thinks twice about flying El Al now, or in a long time, as far as safety is concerned.

I hope it never happens, but if terrorists become more successful here than they have been, people here will suddenly become much more tolerant of security measures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 12:08 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
If anyone looks or acts suspicious they are interrogated.
Lets reword that to questioned or interviewed. now if we that statement were made in reference to the TSA, the word definitely fits. I've seen TSA agents surround someone and strongly interrorgate them and rifle through their luggage in front of hundreds of onlookers. But never have the Israelis in any airport El Al is in. Israelis do it quietly away from prying eyes. Even within the country the have privacy buildings/tents at all the borders. No one is searched outside unless one situation has a chance of occurring - they are suspected of having a bomb on them. In this case the people are moved away and the suspect is ordered to strip.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:13 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
If I am not mistaken the TSA is indeed part of the federal government and not a private business.
It is possible to opt-out of using the TSA. Instead of the TSA, airports can private screeners:
ww.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/Amid-airport-anger_-GOP-takes-aim-at-screening-1576602-108259869.html

Old 11-19-2010, 06:15 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
It doesn't matter. Administrative regulations created in the scope of federal law dictate TSA procedure and the TSA is solely responsible for airport security. As a result those regulations cannot violate the constitution. Even in cases where they have allowed private firms to operate those firms are still subject to TSA authority.
It is possible for airports to use private screeners instead of the TSA (after using the TSA for a 2 year period since the 2001 law creating the TSA:
ww.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/Amid-airport-anger_-GOP-takes-aim-at-screening-1576602-108259869.html

Old 11-19-2010, 06:42 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It is possible to opt-out of using the TSA. Instead of the TSA, airports can private screeners:
Do those screeners have to follow federal regulation in their searches? I would think so. I do believe I said private firms could be used, but they are not exempt from administrative regulations and are still under TSA authority. It is not as though they are completely separate.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/49...1----000-.html
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...0----000-.html

Last edited by Randomstudent; 11-19-2010 at 06:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies