Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:01 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
And who's advocating that NPR be shut down? It's a real simple concept..if they provide quality programming that has an ample audience, that audience should be willing to chip in a bit. If you're willing to pay for cable to get a plethora of choices, then you should be willing to pay NPR a small portion for YOUR choice.

If not enough people will pony up, then they can sell ads..like the rest of media. Or hit up Soros again.

Bottom line-government funded media cannot be considered a truly objective reporter of government activities.

Very well said and I agree!!!

The crying coming from the loopy lefties shows, once again, their extreme hypocrisy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:05 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
It's a small cut, yes. And will have virtually no effect on the deficit, by itself. Really no different than Obama's SAVE program.

Obama's SAVE Award Contest Doesn't Provide Much Payoff, Critic Says - FoxNews.com

However, a lot of small cuts eventually add up. Gotta start somewhere. And government funded media that may be biased (in any direction) is a good start. Again..if it's that good, and that popular, it will be viewer funded.

Exactly!! I tried to rep you, but have to spread more around, so this is my rep:

Old 11-18-2010, 08:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, it may seem small, but it should be done. Everything helps, and small cuts add up to big cuts. It's like cutting your own family budget. If you aren't willing to start somewhere, of if you aren't willing to cut little things, you won't cut the big things either.
Yes, it's like cutting your family budget. You have to look at where you can really save, not make token cuts like "No more Starbuck's". Medicare, SS, Medicaid, and defense, especially defense are the big ticket items.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
not make token cuts like "No more Starbuck's".
$2 each? That's $730 a year, if you don't think this is lot you can send me a $730 check each year. Anyone in business knows you need to watch all the little expenses just as much as you watch the big ones. While the coffee itself might not add up to much all those little unnecessary expenses that are only "$2" add up to very sizable sum in the end especially after you combine them. By cutting out unnecessary things like Starbucks and making your own coffee you now have more money to spend on the important things. For example $730 would cover the electric bill for the average consumer for more than half the year. That "token" cut isn't looking so small is it?

Old 11-18-2010, 09:10 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Yeah, cut that funding. We certainly don't want more people educated. Them educated people are dangerous.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Thanks, FloridaBob - Ignorance is bliss for the rulers. They are never questioned and never challenged. First rule of Fascism is to crush the dissenters. I don't want to close either FOX or NPR.

CoalMan - $730 covers about three months winter power bill in my condo. Your cheap electricity is provided by government.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
$2 each? That's $730 a year, if you don't think this is lot you can send me a $730 check each year. Anyone in business knows you need to watch all the little expenses just as much as you watch the big ones. While the coffee itself might not add up to much all those little unnecessary expenses that are only "$2" add up to very sizable sum in the end especially after you combine them. By cutting out unnecessary things like Starbucks and making your own coffee you now have more money to spend on the important things. For example $730 would cover the electric bill for the average consumer for more than half the year. That "token" cut isn't looking so small is it?
If you buy one every day. Women's magazines are full of advice like this. I'd like to get paid to write such tripe. Want to cut expenses? Look at your biggest expenses first. This isn't the "homes" forum so I won't digress about a personal budget, but if you just look at little things, and don't look at the big picture, entitlements and defense in the case of the feds, you're not going to save anything. It's called being "penny wise and pound foolish".

Old 11-18-2010, 09:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
CoalMan - $730 covers about three months winter power bill in my condo. Your cheap electricity is provided by government.
Electric heat? It's going to be more. The average US household spends around $1200 per year.

Not sure what the comment about the cheap electric is because the government is driving my electric rates up because of renewable mandates.

Let's take the Starbucks example a bit further. I believe the number of about $500 million has been thrown around for NPR funding direct or indirect. Assuming that is correct that could make up 10% of the budget for the LIHEAP program which provides heating assistance to low income families. What's more important, heat or entertainment?

Old 11-18-2010, 09:22 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Small amount or not - the jury's still out on that one - it is a great victory for the American People who are sick and tired of funding what has become an extremely left wing biased media who loves to silence the American People! Hurray!!! The best is yet to come!
And of course you are the best judge of that being that you listen to it on a daily basis. I've been listenong to NPR for years and they are far from biased. But you would have to listen to know that. I'm sure that whatever gap is left if funding is dropped, there will be many people donating to fill that gap as many appreciate intelligent and informative information provided by NPR.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Electric heat? It's going to be more. The average US household spends around $1200 per year.

Not sure what the comment about the cheap electric is because the government is driving my electric rates up because of renewable mandates.

Let's take the Starbucks example a bit further. I believe the number of about $500 million has been thrown around for NPR funding direct or indirect. Assuming that is correct that could make up 10% of the budget for the LIHEAP program which provides heating assistance to low income families. What's more important, heat or entertainment?
Actually, from the link in the OP, straight from Foxy-Loxy itself, is this:

NPR says only 1 percent to 3 percent of its $166 million budget is funded by taxpayer dollars. But a new report by the Congressional Research Service found that taxpayers fund at least 4 percent of NPR's budget, while an analyst at the conservative American Thinker estimated it was closer to 25 percent.

So we're looking at anywhere from 6.4 million to 40.25 million in federal funds. This is not going to make a flippin' difference. And you can always find an excuse like "this should go to energy assistance". I don't see any RWs clamoring to help people with their heating bills, either, nor was I aware the LEAP was in fiancial trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies