Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Really? You don't consider the stifling of Free Speech dangerous?
Irony alert.
Are you not advocating stifling, and ultimately ceasing, NPR's right to free speech?
Or, is it only 'dangerous' when you approve of the message?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
Really? You don't consider the stifling of Free Speech dangerous?
Whatever you're talking about, you've misread the meaning of my post, so I can't really help you here.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Irony alert.
Are you not advocating stifling, and ultimately ceasing, NPR's right to free speech?
I don't recall anything about NPR not being able to continue, since they claim no funding from the taxpayer I guess there is nothing to cut?

Quote:
About NPR: Public Radio Finances

We receive no direct federal funding for operations.
Of course the keyword is direct.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Well, I can certainly see why you are a supporter of NPR. Just remember to support it with your wallet from now on because Federal Funding is going Bye-Bye!
Republican Push To Defund NPR Fails (VIDEO)

Old 11-18-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
ahhh but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfumI...eature=related

Old 11-18-2010, 12:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Small amount or not - the jury's still out on that one - it is a great victory for the American People who are sick and tired of funding what has become an extremely left wing biased media who loves to silence the American People! Hurray!!! The best is yet to come!
I think the Democrats should have gone along with the cuts BUT added an amendment that would also completely DEFUND the enforcement of all FCC rules and regulations. This would allow anybody with a point of view to put up their OWN little radio station and broadcast that point of view to all who wish to hear it. I will be happy to do that!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:24 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Thanks, FloridaBob - Ignorance is bliss for the rulers. They are never questioned and never challenged. First rule of Fascism is to crush the dissenters. I don't want to close either FOX or NPR.

CoalMan - $730 covers about three months winter power bill in my condo. Your cheap electricity is provided by government.
Are you serious? "never questioned and never challenged. First rule of Fascism is to crush the dissenters." Sounds like you're talking about NPR who chose to "crush the dissenter..." Juan Williams, who dared to speak his mind. And, BTW no one is attempting to close NPR. We just don't like the way they run things and don't want to fund this radio station that has become way too oppressive. They are free to ride the air waves on their own dime just like everybody else.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I think the Democrats should have gone along with the cuts BUT added an amendment that would also completely DEFUND the enforcement of all FCC rules and regulations. This would allow anybody with a point of view to put up their OWN little radio station and broadcast that point of view to all who wish to hear it. I will be happy to do that!
You won't be happy when you're neighbor with a bigger radio tower starts stomping all over your signal and reception, hence the reason for FCC rules and regualtions. There's only a limited amount of airwaves.

You could however start your own internet broadcast and reach a much wider audience.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Are you serious? "never questioned and never challenged. First rule of Fascism is to crush the dissenters." Sounds like you're talking about NPR who chose to "crush the dissenter..." Juan Williams, who dared to speak his mind. And, BTW no one is attempting to close NPR. We just don't like the way they run things and don't want to fund this radio station that has become way too oppressive. They are free to ride the air waves on their own dime just like everybody else.
So, employers don't have a right to set standards of conduct for their employees and enforce those standards if contracts, signed by those same employees, are breached?

Old 11-18-2010, 12:47 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,601 times
Quote:
Irony alert.
Or, is it only 'dangerous' when you approve of the message?
Listen Up Alert!
No one said anything about stifling NPR's right to free speech. NPR is free to continue. But all the taxpayer's will not be funding it. It no longer represents ALL the people. So government will not fund it. NPR is free to continue just as all other radio stations - get sponsors, ask for voluntary donations. Do you not understand Capitalism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies