Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 01:24 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — Many Republicans who swept rural Democrats from office are now confronting the reality of a promise to reduce spending: Should it cover the farm subsidies that have brought money and jobs to their districts — and directly benefited some GOP lawmakers or their families?

GOP Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota, an outspoken critic of farm payments, listed between $15,000 and $50,000 in farm income as one source of revenue on her personal financial disclosure statement last year, citing a Bachmann family farm in Independence, Wis., as an asset.

The Associated Press: INSIDE WASHINGTON: Farm subsidies' staying power
I hope they aren't going to be selective with what they want to cut. I mean are farm subsidies really needed especially if you believe in free trade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 02:25 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,266 times
I have always had a problem with what my Uncle called free farm money. Of course we were cattle ranchers and we had to ride the economic wave instead of standing in a line for CRP payments.
The CRP program was initially set up to protect against erosion, then evolved to allow for wild life and water control. Now many farmers have found legal ways to gain profit from the land with out hindering the CRP rental payment. Understand that farmers aren't getting CRP payments on land that they can't use. CRP land allowes people to hunt quail and other foul, and antelope that of course the farmer charges for with out affecting there CRP payment.
Additionally the land that is often "donated is simply because, "Most of the landowners who come in and sign up don't really ask, 'What is my payment going to be?'" says Robert Harkrader, a district conservationist with the USDA's Natural Resources Conservation
Even the farmers themselves say that CRP is BS. "Farmers often confess to feeling odd about a program that pays them not to practice their profession. They say, 'I've got this problem area, I don't know what to do with it. It's an odd shape. It's out of the way. It doesn't fit my equipment.' They're looking to get rid of their problem areas."
"Environmentalists say the program falls far short of its potential. There would be more benefit to the environment, they say, if the USDA could focus on particular rivers or wildlife habitat says . Dan Charles Contributing Correspondent NPR
Many of my farming cousins may not like my response but the fact is that there is monies paid that are simply should not be available in the manner that they are being used.
Some will ask if I would prefer that farmers charge more and or get pushed out of business. Fact is that cattle ranchers have been going it alone for generations. Some have had to say good by to their life style and chosen profession with out any financial assistance from the government. Except being hindered by the IRS through taxation including the death tax that will return soon. Many times property has been sold by ranchers to make these payments and save the larger acreage. The government has never offered a program to help and that's just fine but farmers are given assistance and ranchers are charged.. I have to point out that when you go into a steak house you never hear that they are out off beef. The same would happen to farmers.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Speaking of Ms. Bachmann...

Quote:
Rep. Michele Bachmann supports a ban on earmarks in Congress, but she thinks that some transportation projects should redefined so they aren’t considered earmarks.
Bachmann: Transportation projects shouldn't be earmarks | StarTribune.com

Old 11-16-2010, 02:49 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

LMAO...so rename or redefine the projects so they wouldn't be considered earmarks...Wow and it only took her 3 years to think this one up hmmmmm I wonder why???

Old 11-16-2010, 03:08 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,357 times
Just wait until enough Americans are really hurting by the actions of the repugs, only then will we see and uproar.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:56 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Surprisingly (sacrastic voice) None of the liberal bashers have responded to this thread.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ni1j-tX-Fk

Old 11-17-2010, 06:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
The Farm Bill needs to be completely redone. Millionaires who live in NYC and California should NOT be getting farm subsidy payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies