Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:11 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Believe me, I've always avoided both the Strip and all expressways. All the near misses I've had were on the surface roads around town (mostly on the west side). I've actually had drivers who pulled out of driveways in front of me claim they couldn't see my bright red car! The same from some in huge vehicles (over sized pickups and Hummers, mostly) who stop literally an inch from my bumper when I'm stopped at a red light. Yes, my Miata is a small car, but that's why I got that bright red one!
That's scary - I always rent a car out there because we like to stay at South Point and use the free valet parking everywhere. But for us the time difference is 3 hours so we're usually back at the hotel early enough to avoid the worst of the traffic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
boortz was suggesting that the cost for the driving test be $100 again he is libertarian. That $100 would be to pay for a person to administer a one hour driving test. If you can't afford $100, you can't afford insurance, if you can't afford insurance you should not be driving anyway.
Nothing wrong with that.

One could always live in a cardboard box in front of the business where they work. According to most on this forum, MacDonalds and Walmart would have a small city of cardboard boxes in their parking lots.

Why not just charge $1000 for a driving test and eliminate all the trashy drivers? How about just not letting anyone put a vehicle on the road until there is no lein on it?

Old 11-18-2010, 09:33 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Nothing wrong with that.

One could always live in a cardboard box in front of the business where they work. According to most on this forum, MacDonalds and Walmart would have a small city of cardboard boxes in their parking lots.

Why not just charge $1000 for a driving test and eliminate all the trashy drivers? How about just not letting anyone put a vehicle on the road until there is no lein on it?
My suggestions have nothing to do with the quality of the person only the quality of their driving ability. Whether a person has a lien on their car or not has nothing to do with their driving ability.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:38 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
How about also not giving illegals DL ?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:46 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,521 times
How about a mandatory stint on the highway with instructor before getting your license.
Ok, here we are now entering the on ramp, accelerate and enter the highway behind that car... I said accelerate!... what are you doing?... press the right pedal..., no the right one...step on it...yes! aaaa what are you doing,noo not the brakes BOINK, oops are you ok? we just got rearended

Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
How about a mandatory stint on the highway with instructor before getting your license.
Ok, here we are now entering the on ramp, accelerate and enter the highway behind that car... I said accelerate!... what are you doing?... press the right pedal..., no the right one...step on it...yes! aaaa what are you doing,noo not the brakes BOINK, oops are you ok? we just got rearended
No kidding. That should be on the driving test. I can't tell you how many times I see people exiting an off-ramp and coming to a complete stop and then putting on their blinkers to merge into the highway. If they had to pass a test, maybe they would at least no how to do it.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
My suggestions have nothing to do with the quality of the person only the quality of their driving ability. Whether a person has a lien on their car or not has nothing to do with their driving ability.

Just what does proving you know how to manuever a car have to do with being a good driver? Sure, maybe you can back up, park on a hill, do a U-turn and parallel park, but does that make you a good, safe driver or just someone who has the mechanics of herding a vehicle around down pat?

Good driving has little to do with all that and nothing to do with whether or not you have that state issued piece of plastic. Good drivers will be good drivers and bad drivers will be bad drivers, with or without a license. Good driving is all in your attitudes and attention to traffic. What test can you give to determine those?

What examination can you give which will let the examiner know if you'll yield the right of way or use your turn signal every time or control your rage when things don't go your way or never tailgate? What tougher test can a prospective licensee take which shows whether or not he's courteous and not distracted? Is there a hands on lesson he can take which produces experience?

You're making the invalid assumption that a drivers license does something more than demostrate the minimum knowledge and skill needed to hit the roads. That's all it can do! That's all it's intended to do! Sure, go ahead and raise the standards to get a license, but it won't make any difference out there on the road because there is literally NO substitute for experience and the right attitude.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:55 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
That very much depends upon the quality of your instructor.

I once got tied up behind a high school drivers ed car which never got over 40 mph in a 55 zone. When they pulled into a gas station, I did too and told the instructor that if he didn't teach his students to keep up with the flow of traffic, he was doing them a disservice.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Just what does proving you know how to manuever a car have to do with being a good driver? Sure, maybe you can back up, park on a hill, do a U-turn and parallel park, but does that make you a good, safe driver or just someone who has the mechanics of herding a vehicle around down pat?

Good driving has little to do with all that and nothing to do with whether or not you have that state issued piece of plastic. Good drivers will be good drivers and bad drivers will be bad drivers, with or without a license. Good driving is all in your attitudes and attention to traffic. What test can you give to determine those?

What examination can you give which will let the examiner know if you'll yield the right of way or use your turn signal every time or control your rage when things don't go your way or never tailgate? What tougher test can a prospective licensee take which shows whether or not he's courteous and not distracted? Is there a hands on lesson he can take which produces experience?

You're making the invalid assumption that a drivers license does something more than demostrate the minimum knowledge and skill needed to hit the roads. That's all it can do! That's all it's intended to do! Sure, go ahead and raise the standards to get a license, but it won't make any difference out there on the road because there is literally NO substitute for experience and the right attitude.
Unfortunately, you can't control someones attitude. However, my point, which you seem to be missing is that there are a lot of people out there without the basic driving skills. I am in agreement that there is no substitute for experience. Lets give them some experience before we give them the license, and to make sure that they have the proper experience...lets test them, and if you are senile or have recently had a major head injury...lets get them off of the road.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:09 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Actually, if laws were enforced better than they are, the roads would probably be safer. Mandatory prison sentences for idiots masquerading as actual drivers wouldn't hurt, either (and when they lose their licenses, it should be permanent. They should be identified to their communities the same way sex offenders are. That would send a message that we aren't tolerating truly bad driving any more).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies