Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:20 AM

613 posts, read 960,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Camaro View Post
This gets so tedious somtimes! EXISTING TAX CUTS DO NOT COST US MONEY!

If I am charging a renter $300 per month and beginning in Jan 2011 I want to charge them $400 per month, I CANNOT make the case that if I don't get the extra $100 per month, that it is COSTING me money! The EXISTING TAX CUTS represent MONEY the FED GOV'T is NOT currently getting!!

Stop all the stupid political spin comments and start using common sense. You will certainly appear LESS foolish, if nothing else.

The only reason politicians WANT the "Bush tax cuts" to EXPIRE is because they are counting on SPENDING that money to PAY for some OTHER Gov't program! These dishonest "public servants" are trying to SELL the idea that extending the tax cuts will COST us money! But it's absurdly untrue!!

They need to CUT EXISTING Gov't programs then they wouldn't have to worry about tax cuts expiring!! Make the self-serving jerks in Washington DC be accountable. Make them balance our country's budget. They can start by forfeiting their $170,000 a year unnecessary and unjustifiable salaries plus all their benefits packages!!
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/23/op...23krugman.html

"And where would this $680 billion go? Nearly all of it would go to the richest 1 percent of Americans, people with incomes of more than $500,000 a year. But that’s the least of it: the policy center’s estimates say that the majority of the tax cuts would go to the richest one-tenth of 1 percent. Take a group of 1,000 randomly selected Americans, and pick the one with the highest income; he’s going to get the majority of that group’s tax break. And the average tax break for those lucky few — the poorest members of the group have annual incomes of more than $2 million, and the average member makes more than $7 million a year — would be $3 million over the course of the next decade".

"What’s at stake here? According to the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, making all of the Bush tax cuts permanent, as opposed to following the Obama proposal, would cost the federal government $680 billion in revenue over the next 10 years. For the sake of comparison, it took months of hard negotiations to get Congressional approval for a mere $26 billion in desperately needed aid to state and local governments".

Why are the Repub's so eager to give $3 million over ten years to the top 1% of Americans? Why did they fight tooth and nail to vote against giving aid to firefighters, police, EMT, etc? It's called pay back time. They do their behind closed doors deals that we never hear about. It's called corruption at its's finest.

And don't forget, 44% of all those in Washington, are millionaires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 10:31 PM

240 posts, read 443,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post

"And where would this $680 billion go? Nearly all of it would go to the richest 1 percent of Americans, people with incomes of more than $500,000 a year. But that’s the least of it: the policy center’s estimates say that the majority of the tax cuts would go to the richest one-tenth of 1 percent. Take a group of 1,000 randomly selected Americans, and pick the one with the highest income; he’s going to get the majority of that group’s tax break. And the average tax break for those lucky few — the poorest members of the group have annual incomes of more than $2 million, and the average member makes more than $7 million a year — would be $3 million over the course of the next decade".

"What’s at stake here? According to the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, making all of the Bush tax cuts permanent, as opposed to following the Obama proposal, would cost the federal government $680 billion in revenue over the next 10 years. For the sake of comparison, it took months of hard negotiations to get Congressional approval for a mere $26 billion in desperately needed aid to state and local governments".

Why are the Repub's so eager to give $3 million over ten years to the top 1% of Americans? Why did they fight tooth and nail to vote against giving aid to firefighters, police, EMT, etc? It's called pay back time. They do their behind closed doors deals that we never hear about. It's called corruption at its's finest.

And don't forget, 44% of all those in Washington, are millionaires.
Stop worrying about WHERE or WHO will get the benefit of tax cuts. That is the "class envy" and "class warfare" game that politicians WANT you to engage in. What's more important is economically, tax cuts PLUS CUTTING FED SPENDING BY THE GOV'T WORK EVERY TIME to "stimulate" the economy. See my other posts about Andrew Jackson and Andrew Mellon's economic policy or simply Google "Andrew Jackson".

Much of our problems speak to the fact that unbiased history lessons are NOT taught in our schools anymore.(FYI I'm speaking from personal experience as a former public school administrator.) As a society, I believe if we don't truely know history then we are bound to repeat its mistakes.

Where was your concern about "spending" when Obama was spending trillions on bailouts?? Did you support that policy and action?? Were also concerned when Obama was forcing through nationalized healthcare?? You know that program will cost the taxpayers money and add to our already staggering national debt right?? Did you support the healthcare bill that many Americans opposed?? Also, I never got a job offer from a poor person. I never got a job offer from a middle class person. Wealthy people and/or entreprenuers who amassed enough capital have employed me. So why would I care if they get a tax break??

Old 11-27-2010, 10:48 PM

240 posts, read 443,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post

"What’s at stake here? According to the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center,
By the way, in the interest of intellectual honesty...many leading newspapers across the US have labeled the Brookings Institute as "left leaning" and a "left-of-center" Washington think tank. The Brookings Institute is where the author, Adam Looney is associated. Adam Looney wrote "the research" that you quoted in your "tax policy center" link. Did you actually go to that link and read it as I did?? Don't take my word for it. Please Google "The Brookings Institute" and "Adam Looney". It's easy to paste links into posts on the internet that seem to suport your already preconceived notions, but you have to be careful about "selling" something as UNBIASED!

Adam Looney also currently serves on the Board of Governors at the Federal Reserve System. You know the same Fed Reserve that promised to NOT monetize(buy back) our own country's debt! Which is why the Fed is now printing a trillion dollars which WILL cause inflation and cause all of our existing dollars to be worth less(i.e the cost of EVERYTHING we buy goes up, maybe even skyrockets!). Despite Ben Bernanke lying that he WOULDN'T monetize our debt, by printing more dollars it will hurt EVERY American who participates in our country's economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies