Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:25 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,841 times

Advertisements

Alan Grayson is upset? It must be a good thing then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 03:29 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Alan Grayson got owned in November. Why should anyone listen to what comes out of his ambulance chasing piehole?

Old 11-18-2010, 03:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
UPS is hiring for 50,000 positions.

Amazon also plans to hire many thousands of people.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:30 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Democrats...the party of NO on PAYGO.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
It has been proven when support is cut off people will go to work but not before. Sad but true.

Children have to grow up sometime. All parents know this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Agreed, malamute.

People will sit on their butts for as long as possible before even beginning to seriously consider looking for a job...and that time comes when they realize their unemployment is about to expire.

Places are definitely hiring right now and I would venture to say that anyone who can't find a job at this time of the year is either not looking or not trying hard enough. Many of these people will stay on staff after the season, provided they do a good job. For one job I had when I was 19, I was hired as a seasonal cashier and then promoted to the cash office and then promoted to supervisor so obviously when there's a will, there's a way.
How about you two providing some links to verify what you're saying. I'm not talking about job postings, I'm talking about links that prove that people will go to work when there support is cut off.

Some people on this forum need compassion transplants.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:50 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Too bad it was Bill Clinton who signed NAFTA and pushed so hard to have American jobs exported or we could think the democrats really cared about Americans. Also you don't see the 30 million illegals complaining about finding jobs, they've got plenty.
NAFTA is just an extension of GATT, and not many jobs were lost to Mexico and Canada - the off-shoring that has crippled our economy has been to to China and India.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:57 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How about you two providing some links to verify what you're saying. I'm not talking about job postings, I'm talking about links that prove that people will go to work when there support is cut off.

Their 'compassion' is reserved for the 'haves' not the 'have-nots'.

"Republicans are trying to re-write economics and reality," Reed said. "They want to provide $700 billion in tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, but not pay for them. At the same time, they are demanding that emergency unemployment benefits for middle-class folks be fully paid for."

"That is a little like the dieter who orders a Diet Coke and a Big Mac."

Senate not scheduled to vote on extending jobless benefits | Raw Story

Old 11-18-2010, 04:01 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
"I think it's a sad moment," said Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) after the vote.

"It appalls me that the Republicans keep pitching and pitching and pitching the tax cuts for the rich and won't join in a bill to help people keep their homes and not have to live in their cars."

Unemployment Extension Defeated In House
The good thing is Aln Grayson can file for new unemployment himself jan 3

Old 11-18-2010, 04:04 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Their 'compassion' is reserved for the 'haves' not the 'have-nots'.

"Republicans are trying to re-write economics and reality," Reed said. "They want to provide $700 billion in tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, but not pay for them. At the same time, they are demanding that emergency unemployment benefits for middle-class folks be fully paid for."

"That is a little like the dieter who orders a Diet Coke and a Big Mac."

Senate not scheduled to vote on extending jobless benefits | Raw Story
so you think that the movie "supersize me" really proved anything? All that it proves is that if you eat a lot and don't exercise then you will gain weight. If you want to eat a big mac that is fine. Just be sure to put on the jogging shoes once in awhile

Old 11-18-2010, 04:06 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

There was a study done in Europe but I can't remember the country, I want to say it was Sweden. Something along the lines of when they offered unemployment for three years, people started getting jobs right before the three years was up. They reduced it to two years and the same thing happened. I'm looking for a source right now, but that is it in a nutshell.

I think some people on this forum need common sense transplants.

Please tell me how it is possible to not have a job for TWO YEARS! Anyone with a brain and some motivation could find SOMETHING in that time period. Really now. A link backing up YOUR theory would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies