Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gay TSA agents be allowed to give same-gender pat-downs?
Yes, they should be allowed 49 45.79%
No, they should not 55 51.40%
Not sure 3 2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 02:10 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Such a policy will only encourage the terrorists to blow up their bombs in the security line then. You still have a couple hundred people in a line that snakes back and forth, packed close together. There is no reason to wait until you get on the plane if you want to cause massive loss of life.
Okay, instead of going to any of the available crowded areas (like Times Square) in the US the terrorist is going to go to the airport to blow up a bomb standing in line?

And what does this have to do with the policy, are you saying we should just let anyone on an airplane so that we don't encourage them to blow in a line somewhere? WTF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 02:14 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
That's great.

It proves that this technology is actually effective at revealing what's being carried on board airplanes.

We are living in denial if we believe that we won't have future attacks.

Whee! Easy for you to say. You're a man. You wouldn't have to deal with having someone grab a blood-soaked pad and then subject to having to remove it for their inspection.

Something tells me that when screeners start knocking into men's balls during searches, suddenly you'll be singing a different tune, no pun intended.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:21 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
I mean, REALLY, they are going to find a bomb hidden behind my penis? .
*Ding* *Ding* *Ding*.....TMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-16-2010, 02:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I definitely understand the concern of pilots, flight attendants, and commuter fliers with regard to radiation exposure. If I were in that role - then I would submit to the intrusive pat down.

They look like wierd art photos. You can't discern facial features.
We have no idea what the circumstances are of anyone in the line. Maybe they have had lots of exposure. Maybe the carry a cancer gene. Maybe they have been molested and the "pat down" will seriously traumatise them. Maybe its a kid who has been taught to never let some stranger touch him and here some goon in blue gloves is doing just that. When someone else tries will the kid understand that the tsa is okay but the uncle or the neighood pevert isn't. Kids have a hard enough time understanding it at all and that is why parents make it absolute.

I consider this *molest* as bad as the radiation and something no governmental official has a right to insist on unless someone is in prison for having done a crime. For children it fits the legal defination. Touching on the clothes is just as much a molest as without them when the victum is a child. And it just as inappropriate on an adult and a form of harrassment.

Remember if you decide after you arrive to opt out of both, get your money and go home they still require you to go through it. Or a big fine. You aren't getting on a plane so what right do they have then? That is kidnapping.

And these images can be fiddled with with photoshop and made to look quite naked. It doesn't matter that the face isn't clear. It is our right to not be photographed in the nude. People have gone to jail over it. What difference does it make if its the coach with a hole into the girls shower or the scanner who fixes up some pictures to get his jollies. Its still against our rights.

And as has been said in my last reply, it doesn't work anyway. If the Isralies don't use them since they don't work and can be easily fooled, why are we since they have the most secure airports in the world.

Yes, we need meaningful security. Why don't we look at places where they do have it and try that instead of harrasing and traumatising grandmothers and kids and travelers who want to visit the family or get somewhere for their job? When is it okay to violate 99 percent plus on the off chance you might find the less than one percent who might? And all we are doing is making more creative terrorists anyway.

When you also consider that all the people who work at the airport just walk in the door, its even more sad we've come to this. They could carry in anything they want and stash it in a nice secrure area for someone who had "passed" to take the rest of the way.

We just react to what happened while the terrorists have already gone past that. But they get to laugh at us and smile at their victory. When people get violated to go see the family on a plane they most certainly have won.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:28 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
Just to summarize, I think the full body scanners are a good thing and improve security. I think the enhanced pat-down is disgusting, insane, and doesn't do a damn thing to improve security. I mean, REALLY, they are going to find a bomb hidden behind my penis? I would sooner strip naked, bend over lift and separate and allow the TSA inspector to view me rather than let them touch me.
I'm with you. Seeing my body is one thing, but touching me? I'd rather take the bus, thank you.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:48 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink TSA meeting / security

The Senate Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security will hold a hearing on the TSA tomorrow, Wednesday, November 17, 2010, at 10am EST. For those so interested, this would be a good chance to be heard. More on that in a bit (see below).

A couple points, on which I'll provide more detail at a later date.

Those looking into this matter will have discovered that current TSA methods are ineffective, designed more for show than security. That despite the invasion of personal privacy, and abrogation of 4th Amendment civil rights, that current screening could be easily circumvented. One method would entail nothing other than concealment of explosives in a body cavity, then proper placement on the aircraft. Done.

Several in this discussion have mentioned Israeli security, and from what I have read thus far they seem to be both very serious about security, as in it must work, and are effective with it. They also employ distinctly different methods than the United States, or Canada, being similar.

"I don't know why everybody is running to buy these expensive and useless machines. I can overcome the body scanners with enough explosives to bring down a Boeing 747," Rafi Sela told parliamentarians probing the state of aviation safety in Canada." [1]

In brief, instead of studiously studying every fish in the ocean, they use scientific profiling to discern and focus in on the few possible likely threats.

In any event, one might remember in this discussion of civil rights, in part, and whether they should be given up, that the TSA does not presently provide adequate security.

As mentioned above, the Aviation Subcommittee will be holding a hearing on the TSA tomorrow.

Below are some relevant links for those wishing to express their views. One might also contact their senators and representatives, but as they can vary, those links not provided:

• The Senate Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Senate TSA Oversight Hearing -- 17 Nov

• Committee chair: Senator Jay Rockefeller (D-WV)
Senator Jay Rockefeller (D-WV)

• Mr. John S. Pistole, TSA
https://contact.tsa.dhs.gov/DynaForm.aspx?FormID=10

1) 'Full-body scanners are waste of money, Israeli expert says,' The Vancouver Sun
Full-body scanners are waste of money, Israeli expert says (http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Full+body+scanners+waste+money+Israeli+expert+says/2941610/story.html - broken link)

Old 11-16-2010, 02:55 PM

Slackjaw, I really couldn't give a rat's arse whether you believe that it happened or not. I can promise you that it did. My other sister was there to see it.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-16-2010 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Personal attack.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:06 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I think that we have become a nation of sheeple who
Paradoxically I believe almost everyone I've seen use the word "sheeple" spends far more time absorbing their views of the world from a narrow angle of information and bias than the most others.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Your sister saw someone from the TSA team testing the screeners, but instead of entering the airport then coming back with their management to pull them from their station they opened up a briefcase with a gun in foam and assembled in front of the crowd of passengers in line.

Right... either your sister is lying or you are.
I'll take the word of two of my sisters over a [mod]inappropriate[/mod] who thinks he knows it all when he wasn't there. End of story. No further response from me. Think what you want.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-16-2010 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 11-16-2010, 03:14 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink TSA meeting

Note: For those wishing to make public comments on this matter to relevant authorities, now would be a good time.

Contact info, etc., can be found within my recent post on Page 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies