Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gay TSA agents be allowed to give same-gender pat-downs?
Yes, they should be allowed 49 45.79%
No, they should not 55 51.40%
Not sure 3 2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:18 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
The Senate Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security will hold a hearing on the TSA tomorrow, Wednesday, November 17, 2010, at 10am EST. For those so interested, this would be a good chance to be heard. More on that in a bit (see below).

A couple points, on which I'll provide more detail at a later date.

Those looking into this matter will have discovered that current TSA methods are ineffective, designed more for show than security. That despite the invasion of personal privacy, and abrogation of 4th Amendment civil rights, that current screening could be easily circumvented. One method would entail nothing other than concealment of explosives in a body cavity, then proper placement on the aircraft. Done.

Several in this discussion have mentioned Israeli security, and from what I have read thus far they seem to be both very serious about security, as in it must work, and are effective with it. They also employ distinctly different methods than the United States, or Canada, being similar.

"I don't know why everybody is running to buy these expensive and useless machines. I can overcome the body scanners with enough explosives to bring down a Boeing 747," Rafi Sela told parliamentarians probing the state of aviation safety in Canada." [1]

In brief, instead of studiously studying every fish in the ocean, they use scientific profiling to discern and focus in on the few possible likely threats.

In any event, one might remember in this discussion of civil rights, in part, and whether they should be given up, that the TSA does not presently provide adequate security.

As mentioned above, the Aviation Subcommittee will be holding a hearing on the TSA tomorrow.

Below are some relevant links for those wishing to express their views. One might also contact their senators and representatives, but as they can vary, those links not provided:

• The Senate Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
[URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15135060-post1.html"]FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Heads Up! Senate TSA Oversight Hearing -- 17 Nov[/URL]

• Committee chair: Senator Jay Rockefeller (D-WV)
[URL="http://rockefeller.senate.gov/contact/email.cfm"]Senator Jay Rockefeller (D-WV)[/URL]

• Mr. John S. Pistole, TSA
[URL]https://contact.tsa.dhs.gov/DynaForm.aspx?FormID=10[/URL]

[INDENT]1) 'Full-body scanners are waste of money, Israeli expert says,' The Vancouver Sun
Full-body scanners are waste of money, Israeli expert says (http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Full+body+scanners+waste+money+Israeli+expert+says/2941610/story.html - broken link)[/INDENT]
Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 03:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post

I would not call being upset at having to be felt up or filmed naked in front of strangers, "whinning".

We should all be screaming at the top of our lungs.

Remember what Ben Franklin said?
He said: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Flying isn't a right, it's a privilege (one you have to pay for, sheesh). Just like you can't drive unless you jump through the right hoops, you can't fly without jumping through the right hoops either.

As I think I've said earlier, I would have no problem with them scanning me. I'm even willing to submit to a strip search. What I don't want, is to be touched by anyone.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:28 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times
After 9/11 so many people became hysterical that they never peeped a peep when the Patriot Act passed; when airport security was allowed to pat down little, blue haired old ladies; when we had to pull off our shoes; pull our laptop out of its case and place it in a separate bin; when we couldn't carry a lighter on a plane; no liquids over 3oz; and now we get x-rayed (oh, and you cannot have even a string in your pocket when you go through the full body x-ray).

Last week I witnessed a little old man get put through the loops while he tried to get through security. And we have a full body x-ray! Remove your belt, sir! Then they pulled him over and patted him down. He was worn out by the time they were finished with him. Stressed and humiliated.

Back then, most everyone on the right complained we were unpatriot and that we should just shut-up and do what we're told as President Bush was trying to protect us. I said, 'we're going to die when our number comes up. Period.

I would like to know where were all you complainers back when we had to start taking our shoes off before we can get on a plane? Where were you when they passed the 'Patriot' Act? Where were you when the TSA cop confiscated my hair mousse? En guard! I have a can of hair mousse here!

You know, we do need security, but we take things to an extreme. I fail to see how me removing my shoes makes me safer. Will someone tell me how more than 3 oz. of liquid is going to hurt someone?

Paraphrasing what some said earlier; keep people scared and occupied so the populace won't know when the rich are stealing them blind.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:34 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I'll take the word of two of my sisters over a Moderator cut: inappropriate who thinks he knows it all when he wasn't there. Sorry, kid, you lose.
I certainly don't know it all but I'll take common sense over your sisters fish tales of guns being assembled in the security line to prove a point.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-16-2010 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 11-16-2010, 03:46 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well when I have flown in the past it was always with SouthWest.
I sent them an email and told them I'd no longer be flying thanks to the DHS and TSA.
I will not subject myself to a virtual naked scan nor be groped by strangers.
I told them I'd drive or take the train rather than be humiliated like that in the airport.
I ended with "It was nice doing business with you."

Maybe if enough complain to the airlines.
There is a line and the government stepped over it.

When will YOU complain..when they start doing cavity searches with rubber gloves on ?
There it is, if the public boycotted airports for one week in protest, the TSA would be history.
Unfortunately, the American people have become a weak kneed sorry excuse for the freedom loving people who we are supposed to be.
We are a country of cowards who take whatever the government dishes out, and refuse to stand up for the rights our ancestors died for.
We are getting exactly what we deserve.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:52 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
San Diego has always been way up on the powder dry list. they have confronted me more than once and when I responded appropriately they escalate to try to start an argument. This latest segment on the national screen radar is simply the attempt to keep people safe from people who hide explosives in their "junk". It happened. The reality is that TSA has not developed a safe technology or a sensitive alternative pat down. So for now there are airports to avoid. San Diego leads the list in my book.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:54 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryTwist View Post
Sorry, but that isn't the issue. Nobody has established that defacto strip searches are necessary for one's safety. Forgetting that most American's are so ignorant of their rights they don't see this as nothing more than a fear based power grab by the government, absolutely no-one has established that a government working putting their hands up people's crotches is going to do anything for safety. In fact I am more worried about flying now than I was 25 years ago when one practically could just walk onto the plane. It doesn't go without notice the hysteria that people are being driven to by this crap that makes for some scary individuals out there.

One more time, if common sense was being applied, they would be out doing something at the borders (where millions are walking through year) rather than shaking down people at airports.
What power does the government "grab" from doing a pat down search on someone who opts out of a full body scan?

Old 11-16-2010, 04:00 PM

171 posts, read 317,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
What power does the government "grab" from doing a pat down search on someone who opts out of a full body scan?
I suggest asking your high school social studies teacher if you don't understand.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:02 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Okay then lets official label anyone involved in boy scouts, youth sports, teaching, volunteering with youth organizations, any and all clergy, owners of trench coats or old beat up vans as pedophiles.

If they can join the TSA and stare at flabbly old alien looking casper the ghost pictures in hopes of lucking out getting assigned to the booth and seeing a kid every once in a while they can certainly coach tee ball.
They do seek out such organizations since there are children there. Now all of them do background checks, but unless there is something to find they are likely to be hired. They probably have other expreience with children. This is why no matter if every employee is fully vetted always teach kids to tell if someone tries or does. Background checks keep some out but are false security if you think they do all. How do you do that when your kid is pawed by the TSA and you have to say it was all right?

The difference is they run a risk of being caught. The TSA is saying touch the kids as part of your job or look at pictures... fine with us. No risk involved.

What bothers me more is the mind set of the people who do these so called patdowns. Those who really enjoy feeling in control will be first in line for the job. And will do it well with no reservations. When this fails the TSA will come up with something worse unless people make it plain they will not stand for this. We aren't really even making flying "safe" since its just insipiring more inventive bad guys. We're getting a dog and pony show instead.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:04 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
That's an easy one. Because TSA patterdowner works for the government and for the most part is an idiot. He/she has suddenly come into a postion of power and plans on using it. BTW, TSA is pretty nice in CLT. Ever go thru a NY airport? Try it sometime and you will know the answer to your question.

I know that security is a necessity but. . . moving my 90+ y.o. mother to H.H. SC. was quite an eyeopener on TSA's sensistivity. She's wheel chairbound. Can't stand up or move her fingers. Weighs 90 lbs. in her overcoat. Full search patdown to include: take her coat off, shoes, "can you stand up?" "can you bend down?" "please move forward in the chair">, and then the forensic team arrives. Not kidding. Two additional TSA come and wipe down all the metal on her wheel chair. For. . . you got me there?

That's what I think is wrong with pat downs.
What if radical grandson tries to use unsuspecting granny as a bomb transport? The woman in Penn. arrested awhile back didn't "look like" a terrorist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies