Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gay TSA agents be allowed to give same-gender pat-downs?
Yes, they should be allowed 49 45.79%
No, they should not 55 51.40%
Not sure 3 2.80%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 10:31 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Thanks for being part of the problem and for willingly submitting to gov't tyranny. The old 'I've got nothing to hide' spiel. We are like frogs in the water, and the temp is ramping up. I, for one, am not willing to accept such intrusions in the name of security. This is just another step toward a police state. Honestly, I think the TSA is a testbed for just how much gov't intrusion the public will submit to in the name of security and protection. We are being desensitized to it, being told it is the new norm; anything in the name of security, right?

As long as policies such as the ones the TSA is currently implementing get passed onto a public that accepts it, even if reluctantly, the terrorists have won.

I completely disagree. Living in a free land, a land of liberty means accepting a certain degree of insecurity and threat. A completely safe life is a life devoid of liberty.

Rest assured, no matter what knee-jerk reactions are implemented in the name of security, we will be hit again. And then the noose will tighten on our liberties once more. And it will serve to punish only the honest in reality, for the people who don't follow our laws in the first place will stop at nothing to hit us. Should we stop at nothing to assure our liberty before we change our once great nation to a police state in the name of security?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The terrorists will get through. Remember heightened security measures happen AFTER an attempt..not before.
So just what do you guys want? You say you know we'll be hit by terrorists again...and you want to lower our defenses and make it as easy as possible for them to accomplish their objectives in the name of "freedom"? It sounds like you're basically asking for another 9-11.

And yes, heightened security measures normally happen AFTER an attempt because we as a society are too lethargic and stupid to do something consistent and proactive to address the impending problem. It's the same as Katrina - first we crow about our "freedom from tyranny"...then we're mad when the government doesn't come quickly enough to rescue us from our below-sea-level city by the sea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 11:43 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
No the terrorists are winning. Maybe some of the manufacturing sector is going along on coattails. But they wanted to *change our way of life*. They have succeeded. I hope the protests do grind travel time to a halt over the holiday and the tsa and governmental entites get the message that there is a limit.

Somewhere is a description of a tsa agent selecting an 8year old boy for the unlucky one to have to get a patdown. I wonder what would have happened if the police had been called. Touching the private parts of a minor child is a form of molestation even through clothes. Is this what we have come to, invading peoples private rights.

Other secuity edits have been annoying but this one is hitting a nerve. It won't change that the bad guys have already had a big victory in the way they have inconvienced thousands and thousands of people. But if pilots and flight attendants put pressure on the airlines, and people choose not to fly, and say *why* maybe a little taking back can be done.

When I go out to see the family in California in spring, I'd rather sit in San Antonio for 8 hours with the car detached from the train before the next one picks it up, which is pure blah's ville, than to go through a personal violation at some airport. The people who do these patdowns knowing people are uncomfortable have to have some inner reward from their work or they wouldn't be doing it.

When do we wake up to the fact that we are *letting them win* by letting their willing partners, those who only feel secure when everyone is under their control, do as they please and behave like perfect little sheeple.

All I know is I will not be flying for ANY reason. Due to a medical condition I would have to do the patdown and that is not going to happen.

Good post. I, too, will not be subjected to the clowns in the TSA. Someone is eventually going to get hurt. Someone's child will be violated and the parent will do some swinging. Of course, they will go to jail for it...protecting a child not popular in a country which allows pedophiles to go free.

So I stay closer to home. If I need to go somewhere, or feel like a "vacation", I will PLAN to drive. Takes longer, but can be made pleasant with planning. And how many really have been cross country to see our still beautiful and extraordinary nation? Had to take a necessary trip down to TX recently on family matters. Made the best of it, and was very enjoyable three days' drive through six states. Not for everyone probably. But I prefer the extra time spent driving to being patted down by goons or exposure on some hidden screen.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:18 PM

730 posts, read 1,314,220 times
Heard a funny story on our local radio channel. A guy called who had the choice of the machine or a pat down. He chose the pat down; when the TSA starting his "probe", the passenger started moaning and groaning, then winked at the TSA who was patting him down. He was immediately allowed to pass through security without further groping.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:25 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Thanks for being part of the problem and for willingly submitting to gov't tyranny. The old 'I've got nothing to hide' spiel. We are like frogs in the water, and the temp is ramping up. I, for one, am not willing to accept such intrusions in the name of security. This is just another step toward a police state. Honestly, I think the TSA is a testbed for just how much gov't intrusion the public will submit to in the name of security and protection. We are being desensitized to it, being told it is the new norm; anything in the name of security, right?

As long as policies such as the ones the TSA is currently implementing get passed onto a public that accepts it, even if reluctantly, the terrorists have won.

I completely disagree. Living in a free land, a land of liberty means accepting a certain degree of insecurity and threat. A completely safe life is a life devoid of liberty.

Rest assured, no matter what knee-jerk reactions are implemented in the name of security, we will be hit again. And then the noose will tighten on our liberties once more. And it will serve to punish only the honest in reality, for the people who don't follow our laws in the first place will stop at nothing to hit us. Should we stop at nothing to assure our liberty before we change our once great nation to a police state in the name of security?
Five reps if I could give them.

Back in the 80's my now ex said he didn't mind having his luggage opened and checked. He didn't have anything to worry about. I ask him just how far that rational would go. When does security and safety become the thing that opresses? He didn't have an answer. I don't have a problem with my luggage being checked or the metal detetors. Even the wands. But the level of intrusivness does matter.

What we're being told is that security trumps all. The falacy is no matter how good you build the mousetrap the mouse will figure out a way to defeat it. When the mousetrap becomes so overwhelming that it traps everything else too incase there is a mouse then it becomes the thing that opresses, not the mouse.

Someone asked what happens when the bad guys use body cavities to hide stuff, does everyone have to have a body cavity check to go on a plane? Or perhaps it is just a precautionary step to "make us safe" from it being done. Considering the scanners are out of a scifi movie about some scary future society, don't be so quick to say it can't... as long as the sheep swallow the coolaide.

I've been doing a lot of research for a probject on how war and the excesses within systems hurt people, and how they react. Think of the people of London. They were bombed nightly and slept in the subway tunnels. But in the morning they got up and went outside and took the chance because to hide would be to say the bad guys won. Couldn't we use that as a hint that reasonable precautions are good, but excess means you've let them take control.

And in the meanwhile bombs got sent in the mail. Which got put on planes. Which were supposed to explode over the eastern seaboard. But nobody is really watching where and what happens to mail.

The objective in 9-11 was to disturb our way of life and we're being good little victums and doing just as told.

Face it, when you get in your car to go to work or the store or take the kids to school you run the risk someone is going to run into you and hurt you or the family. Does this mean you learn to drive defensively and take safety precautions but understand that there is ALWAYS risk in life, or does this mean that you want streets run on a monarail like the kiddy rides at Disneyland so nobody can?

Old 11-13-2010, 12:26 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Good post. I, too, will not be subjected to the clowns in the TSA. Someone is eventually going to get hurt. Someone's child will be violated and the parent will do some swinging. Of course, they will go to jail for it...protecting a child not popular in a country which allows pedophiles to go free.

So I stay closer to home. If I need to go somewhere, or feel like a "vacation", I will PLAN to drive. Takes longer, but can be made pleasant with planning. And how many really have been cross country to see our still beautiful and extraordinary nation? Had to take a necessary trip down to TX recently on family matters. Made the best of it, and was very enjoyable three days' drive through six states. Not for everyone probably. But I prefer the extra time spent driving to being patted down by goons or exposure on some hidden screen.
You're right about that lilypad. i've made the drive to calif and back from texas several times in the last few years rather than go through the stresses that the airlines put us through.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post

A road trip can be a great experience and its great when the getting there is part of the fun. Next time instead of taking the southern route and having to look at Texas yet again I plan to go to Kansas City and take the midwestern route though some very beautiful country. It will cost a bit more but I have time to plan.

The best part of moving half way across the counrty was the trip, seeing miles and miles of nothing but space around you. Maybe more people would appreciate what we have if they went out to see it.

Personally, I'm waiting to see what happenes when some kid is grouped by a tsa person and the kid has abuse issues and there is a law suit. BIG can of worms there. Personally due to medical issues I'd have to have the pat down (not that I'd do the machine) so will not be going on planes for a long time.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:09 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Keep the citizens scared. Rule numero uno in keeping their minds off important matters such as their family's well being. The rich elite in this country just love what they can get away with when the middle class is distracted with "National Security".
TSA=KGB?

Old 11-13-2010, 02:40 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
On this we can agree - it is outrageous.

If you opt out of the naked scanner, they will intimidate, bully and make it uncomfortable for you.

Just let them try this with one of my daughters, either with the scanner -NOT going to happen, OR the pat down - NOT going to happen.

The solution?

LOOK for those people who fit the profile of the people out to bring down a plane.
File:McVeigh mugshot.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Would he have fit your profile?

File:Eric rudolph.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How about him???

File:Unabomber free image.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How about this guy??

The problem is with a profile is that eventually someone who doesn't fit it will slip through.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
for all those whining about having to go through airport security, there is another option, other than driving or taking the train or bus, and that is learn to fly, get your private license, and rent a plane to fly yourself where ever you need to go.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:14 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
As said before, the obvious solution is to drive yourself and family. Remember that you are flying on someone else's Aircraft and are subject to their rules and regulations, don't like it then drive or fly your own plane. if not, quit complaining. Would you rather have limited security and have your plane blow up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies