Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Interesting view, I think our difference comes in where I see the drunks, lunatics etc. as being disabled. I would be willing to bet that if your or I walked in there, fit of body and mind but just not wanting to work we would wear out our stay pretty quick. When we lived back east in Pa we used to head down to Weston WV and they had a huge lunatic asylum there. We took a tour and they told us that the same thing happened. Parents would drop their kiddo's off and never come back. It sounded to me as though the parents were not fit for parenting to me.. It was also used as a TB Hospital etc. etc.
I'm not referring to the alcoholics or "lunatics". I'm referring to the paupers, a separate class in the section you and I both quoted. So the place in NY was a multipurpose home, for poor and disabled. Paupers are not disabled, they're poor. Those pepole probably had no family that could support them.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pauper
noun
1. a person without any means of support, esp. a destitute person who depends on aid from public welfare funds or charity.
2. a very poor person.

In re: your example in WV, it is likely the parents couldn't afford the kids any more. Believe it or not, that is what people were driven to at times before there was a safety net. Part of the philosophy of "welfare" is to keep families together.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:51 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not referring to the alcoholics or "lunatics". I'm referring to the paupers, a separate class in the section you and I both quoted. So the place in NY was a multipurpose home, for poor and disabled. Paupers are not disabled, they're poor. Those pepole probably had no family that could support them.

In re: your example in WV, it is likely the parents couldn't afford the kids any more. Believe it or not, that is what people were driven to at times before there was a safety net. Part of the philosophy of "welfare" is to keep families together.
Probably the major part of the philosophy.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:06 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Plus, they're afraid it will happen to them. So they distance themselves with this blather about "personal responsibility", etc.
Very well said. I do agree, that many Americans still think that poverty can't happen to them. So they get judgemental, rather than compassionate, towards the poor. These people claim that if someone is poor, then it's 'all their own fault'.

Here's a link to a review of a book, called The Big Squeeze: THE BIG SQUEEZE This book discusses how more and more American workers, are having to accept poverty-level jobs, even if they've gotten college degrees. And NO worker is immune to being laid off, and then falling into poverty. So, all of these people who are being so critical of the poor, could be in for a rude awakening themselves.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
I hate to say it but i'm really starting to see that too.

American forums and chat rooms are just full of hate, arguements, slander, egomanical debates, bigotry.......

The people in the past few countries i've lived in have not even come close to the same levels of hatred that you will see coming out of the mouths of many Americans.

The American character is very aggressive and angry in general. And they love to direct hatred at someone or something. The love to see somebody as "the enemy".

Sad but true.
I wholeheartedly agree. I'm in my early 50s, and can remember when Americans were trying to come together, and respect one another. This was before the Reagan years. Now, viciousness reigns supreme in this country. It's become a blood sport, that quite a few Americans are only too eager, to participate in.

I think that lots of Americans are fed-up with many things going on these days. But instead of fighting the system of political corruption, the corporations, and other culprits of this country's ills, Americans turn on each other. I wonder if Americans will ever wake-up, and get busy finding real solutions to our country's problems, instead of needlessly attacking, and villifying each other.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post

I think that lots of Americans are fed-up with many things going on these days. But instead of fighting the system of political corruption, the corporations, and other culprits of this country's ills, Americans turn on each other.
My father described it as the Crab Principle. You put a lot of grabs in a bucket and as soon as one starts to crawl out and escape, another one reaches up and pulls him back in.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Blather about personal responsibility?
Some people actually lead their lives based on a sense of personal responsibility and accountability.
No not all or even most poor are poor because they are wasteful or stupid. Most are poor because a series of events handicapped their ability to succeed.
However there are many who are absolute victims of their own stupidity or ignorance.
Mothers of multiple children and multiple fathers. How much do condoms cost?
White trash people. 5 kids living in a trailer. Hello condoms, birth control, vasectomy?????
Credit card abuse. Can't afford a wide screen TV? Charge it. Can't afford health insurance but can afford cigarettes.
To say that no poor people are poor because they lack a sense of personal responsibility is just as wrong as saying all poor people are poor for those reasons.
I grew up on a small dairy farm. We were poor. 5 kids 2 parents and a grandfather living in a tiny 3 bedroom house, trying to live off what 40 milk cows could provide. 5 kids today are all mid to upper middle class. What we did learn on that farm was personal accountability and responsibility.
I have 2 children. I made sure there would be only 2 children. 1989 I paid cash for a vasectomy. $325.00 and 13 minutes later I made sure 2 would be enough.
I have never financed a car more than 36 months. I save up for a hefty down payment. If things go south I can sell it and have enough money to buy a cheap car. I keep vehicles on average 10 years.
I don't charge toys or luxury items. Not ever.
Its understood that folks hit a rough patch. Its understood that sometimes we all need a hand up off our knees.
Some people live a life style of always needing help. No money for bills but money for lottery tickets, booze and cigarettes.
So please. Blather about personal responsibility? More people should live their lives based on personal responsibility.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree. I'm in my early 50s, and can remember when Americans were trying to come together, and respect one another. This was before the Reagan years. Now, viciousness reigns supreme in this country. It's become a blood sport, that quite a few Americans are only too eager, to participate in.

I think that lots of Americans are fed-up with many things going on these days. But instead of fighting the system of political corruption, the corporations, and other culprits of this country's ills, Americans turn on each other. I wonder if Americans will ever wake-up, and get busy finding real solutions to our country's problems, instead of needlessly attacking, and villifying each other.
But first you have to define the problems and their causes.
Poverty is not the problem..it is the result of something else.
What "causes" poverty needs to be addressed. On that not many can agree.
You cannot solve a problem that you haven't defined.

Welfare, food stamps, HUD housing doesn't "solve" the poverty situation..it makes the condition livable.

We spend our time and effort creating and funding programs that do nothing to solve the problems; they just bandaid the outcomes of them.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But first you have to define the problems and their causes.
Poverty is not the problem..it is the result of something else.
What "causes" poverty needs to be addressed. On that not many can agree.
You cannot solve a problem that you haven't defined.

Welfare, food stamps, HUD housing doesn't "solve" the poverty situation..it makes the condition livable.

We spend our time and effort creating and funding programs that do nothing to solve the problems; they just bandaid the outcomes of them.
This is why the American people need to band together, and work towards
viable solutions, to our county's problems.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:35 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Define band together? What are the parameters? At what point do we recognize that some people can't be helped because they refuse to help themselves?
Some people feel entitled to never ending aid.
My daughter is Autistic. She is an example of someone who absolutely deserves society's help.
In my travels dealing with the system I have met all kinds of people. Fortunately most were honest and genuine. I also met folks who were manipulating the system. This diverts resources from those who honestly need all the help that they can get.
1 woman boldly told me how she has her children act retarded ( Her words) This helps them get ssi. She actually wanted them to tank in school..... She claims adhd as the primary disability. I pity the children.
What I found most offensive was that she actually thought we were the same.
This is but 1 example of what is out there and is happening everyday.
This kind of behavior is what causes many to distrust those on social services. No doubt eventually this practice will be discovered and the woman will lose those benefits. The damage is already done to her children, and resourses squandered that would have helped those who really needed more.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Ok..but no one is looking into the reason behind poverty.
It's all over the map.
No one has defined the problem. How do you solve poverty if you don't know what causes it ?

Until they define the problem there will be no viable solutions.

Nice words are just that..nice words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies