Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 11:07 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
A lot of billionaires ARE liberal! Hell, i'm sick of conservatives telling me how to spend my money better than i do. Like a few trillion for wars that i don't support.

If you read enough posts on C-D, you get the impression that nearly everyone here is wealthy or at least pretty well off. I don't believe it. I personally think that a lot of people blowing smoke against the poor are probably not so well off themselves. The rich that i've met have little contempt against poor people. Most of the contempt that i see usually comes from lower middle clase people.

Just my observation.
I agree 100%. Have been on this forum a long time, and alot of the people raging against the poor have posts from last year about kicking tenants out and getting foreclosed on because their rental apts arent making money anymore...lol....they are finally smacked with reality and would rather rage against entitlements instead of corrupt bankers and Wall St bailouts....

Old 11-27-2010, 11:15 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,388 times
I don't hate poor people. Self hatred would be a bad thing!

Old 11-27-2010, 11:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I actually believe your observation is correct. This is probably b/c the working class makes too much to receive gov't benefits. They watch the class below them sit on their duffs and collect checks and have a better lifestyle than they themselves have even though they choose to work and take responsibility for their lives. I would be peeved at the system if that was me, too. The rich don't despise the poor. They donate lots of money to charities that serve said poor people. The middle class is frustrated by the poor b/c their hard-earned money is being spent via tax dollars on people who DON'T work hard.

The wars have nothing to do with this topic as our elected officials, both D and R, deem it necessary to rid this world of people who wish to do us harm and bring us down as a nation. I don't necessary support the wars b/c I'm more of a pacifist but this is a national security problem that needs lots of money to address. The welfare folk aren't a threat to national security in the sense that they're trying to blow up densely populated areas; they are stealing our tax dollars just so they can lay around on the couch all day watching TV. If I had to prioritize which problem gets funding, I would choose the one that has been proven to NEED that money to work (our military). The welfare system is broken and throwing money at the problem does not help those people get out of poverty. It just angers the taxpayer. The welfare system does help some who are truly in need, but as I've said on many occasions, there needs to be a time limit or some other way to limit the handouts to encourage people to get back on their feet and fend for themselves again.
Really? How many more trillions need to be spent to address it? What does national security have to do with a 600 million dollar embassy in Baghdad?

Like i've said before, I'm not going to complain about a single dollar going to an American until we stop sending billions elsewhere to protect and "liberate" people who don't give a damn about Americans.

Besides, we've already had Welfare Reform.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:32 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
well, you realize she has previously posted advice to people to Google freelance writing to take personal responsibility and get a job as a writer. lol.

Kind of like Bush when he told outsourced auto workers to go back to grad school in 2003, after instigating two useless wars...and no Bin-Laden found 8 years later with trillions of dollars in deficit.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:50 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
well, you realize she has previously posted advice to people to Google freelance writing to take personal responsibility and get a job as a writer. lol.

Kind of like Bush when he told outsourced auto workers to go back to grad school in 2003, after instigating two useless wars...and no Bin-Laden found 8 years later with trillions of dollars in deficit.
Wow. It worked for me, what's wrong with encouraging others to do the same? Anyway, I was not telling anyone on here to get a job as a writer, my point was that there is work out there if you're willing to take it. Obviously that point was lost on many.

And it looks like we've come full circle...something else is being blamed on Bush.

@desert, I'm not going to comment on any embassies being built as I'm sure that does not fall into our military budget, but perhaps the Dept. of State's budget. My whole post was in agreement with you, why do you have to turn it into an argument? As I've said, I don't necessarily agree with the wars. I think all foreign aid needs to end so we can take care of our own people (Americans). But that does not mean we should keep encouraging a cycle of poverty, either.

ETA: What welfare reform and how has it fixed the current problems?

Old 11-27-2010, 01:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
It is posts such as this that lead ME to believe that many Americans honestly just do not either know, or purposly choose the ignore what is happening in our country.
Until of course, it happens to them they will refuse to see.
Agreed! This needs to be reposted every 10 posts or so.

Quote:
ETA: What welfare reform and how has it fixed the current problems?
Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My allowable 2-3 sentences:

The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (PRWORA, Pub.L. 104-193, 110 Stat. 2105, enacted August 22, 1996) is a United States federal law considered to be a fundamental shift in both the method and goal of federal cash assistance to the poor. . . . Bill Clinton signed PRWORA into law on August 22, 1996, fulfilling his 1992 campaign promise to "end welfare as we know it".[2]

PRWORA instituted Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) which became effective July 1, 1997. . . . TANF was reauthorized in the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005.

Plus much more, and many more articles to be found on a google search.

Catchy little title, eh? The RWs favorite phrase, "personal responsibility".

I don't have all afternoon to write a dissertation on how TANF has solved welfare problems. I do suggest you research this issue.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:08 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Agreed! This needs to be reposted every 10 posts or so.

Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My allowable 2-3 sentences:

The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (PRWORA, Pub.L. 104-193, 110 Stat. 2105, enacted August 22, 1996) is a United States federal law considered to be a fundamental shift in both the method and goal of federal cash assistance to the poor. . . . Bill Clinton signed PRWORA into law on August 22, 1996, fulfilling his 1992 campaign promise to "end welfare as we know it".[2]

PRWORA instituted Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) which became effective July 1, 1997. . . . TANF was reauthorized in the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005.

Plus much more, and many more articles to be found on a google search.

Catchy little title, eh? The RWs favorite phrase, "personal responsibility".

I don't have all afternoon to write a dissertation on how TANF has solved welfare problems. I do suggest you research this issue.
LOL Ya know that family member I always talk about? She's getting TANF now that her unemployment has run out. She used part of it to pay her cell phone, part to buy "money" on her computer game and part to pay for beer. She's several months behind on rent and their power might be getting shut off soon due to nonpayment. She had her ex take out a loan to cover part of the back rent. Some people will never learn. I'm sure TANF helps some people but there are still people who take advantage. At least there's a 5-year lifetime limit on it. I wouldn't champion it as the end-all of welfare problems.

I was saying there needs to be more reform NOW. I think we all agree that there are too many people milking the system and something needs to be done about it. Not enough personal responsibility to go around.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
LOL Ya know that family member I always talk about? She's getting TANF now that her unemployment has run out. She used part of it to pay her cell phone, part to buy "money" on her computer game and part to pay for beer. She's several months behind on rent and their power might be getting shut off soon due to nonpayment. She had her ex take out a loan to cover part of the back rent. Some people will never learn. I'm sure TANF helps some people but there are still people who take advantage. At least there's a 5-year lifetime limit on it. I wouldn't champion it as the end-all of welfare problems.

I was saying there needs to be more reform NOW. I think we all agree that there are too many people milking the system and something needs to be done about it. Not enough personal responsibility to go around.
Actually, I have not been following that saga about your family member (your sister, I think) b/c I hear enough of that stuff from my own two grown daughters. To hear them talk about the other, both are headed to h*** in a handbasket.

I do not think we all agree that there are too many people "milking the system"; just like there is no agreement that people on food stamps should be told what they can buy.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:24 PM

240 posts, read 443,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I agree 100%. Have been on this forum a long time, and alot of the people raging against the poor have posts from last year about kicking tenants out and getting foreclosed on because their rental apts arent making money anymore...lol....they are finally smacked with reality and would rather rage against entitlements instead of corrupt bankers and Wall St bailouts....
Hey I'm an "equal opportunity rager"!! I don't like bailouts or entitlements!! I am a big fan of taking personal responsibility for the challenges I face in life. I'd much rather work hard and solve my own problems than continuously look to an ever expanding federal, state and local government to solve my problems for me!!!

Old 11-27-2010, 09:28 PM

240 posts, read 443,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, I have not been following that saga about your family member (your sister, I think) b/c I hear enough of that stuff from my own two grown daughters. To hear them talk about the other, both are headed to h*** in a handbasket.

I do not think we all agree that there are too many people "milking the system"; just like there is no agreement that people on food stamps should be told what they can buy.
I don't know anyone who can actually fit in a handbasket? That phrased always confused me! Assuming I found a handbasket large enough to accomodate my adult body, would there be holes in the bottom of it for my legs to poke through? Otherwise how would I go anywhere??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies