Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRefugee View Post
A common theme I see on these threads is that most city-data members basically hate poor people. They see poor people as lazy, worthless scumbags of no value.

They have little or no interest in helping poor people. Have very little empathy or compassion. And basically just want to ignore the issue.

What's up with that???

I'm pretty sure most of you all who hate poor people are Christians. You should probably go back and re-read some of Jesus' quotes about helping the poor.

I've been living away from the US for a while and I forgot about this American hatred for poor people. The coments on city-data on this topic are shocking to me after not hearing this kind of talk for so long.
Here are some Bible quotes for Christians on the Rich & Poor...Proverbs chapter 10 verse 4 " He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand:but the hand of the diligent maketh rich." Proverbs 18 verse 23 " The poor useth intreaties;but the rich answereth roughly".Corinthians 2 8-9 " For ye know the grace of our LORD Jesus Christ,that,though he was rich,yet for your sakes he became poor,that ye through his poverty might be rich." Isaiah chapter 41 verse 17 " When the poor or needy seek water,and there is none,and their tongue faileth for thrist,I the GOD of Israel will not forsake them."There are others... James all of chapter 2,Matthew 19 verses 16-22 Revelations chapter 3 verse 17... hope this distinguishes the difference between Rich and Poor.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:20 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,644 times
Luke 14:12-13

He said also to the man who had invited him, “When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind,

Old 12-02-2010, 11:39 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Although it isn't specifically written in the Constitution, Americans are required to hate someone. In the interest of fairness, that someone is always changing. Poor people, fat people, the entire religion of Islam, you throw your dart at the board and find out who you're supposed to hate this week. (It sounds like a game show, and I must say I'm surprised that it hasn't been made into one. "This Week's Hate," with your friendly American host...)

Old 12-02-2010, 12:27 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Although it isn't specifically written in the Constitution, Americans are required to hate someone. In the interest of fairness, that someone is always changing. Poor people, fat people, the entire religion of Islam, you throw your dart at the board and find out who you're supposed to hate this week. (It sounds like a game show, and I must say I'm surprised that it hasn't been made into one. "This Week's Hate," with your friendly American host...)
You speak the truth. I'm in my 50s, and can remember when this was a comassionate country. Not anymore. Seems like the hatefulness trend began in America, when we swung to the far right politically, during the 80s. That's when the standard of living began to erode for the middle class. And so, lots of people with economic troubles want to find
innocent scapegoats to blame, rather than look at the system itself,
which has been destroying the middle-class for decades now.

It's also become 'cool' now, to be viscious towards other people, regardless of who they are. It seems to be like a blood sport. It's really disheartening, and who knows when it will all end-if it all ends.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:27 PM

240 posts, read 443,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
You speak the truth. I'm in my 50s, and can remember when this was a comassionate country. Not anymore. Seems like the hatefulness trend began in America, when we swung to the far right politically, during the 80s. That's when the standard of living began to erode for the middle class. And so, lots of people with economic troubles want to find

It's also become 'cool' now, to be viscious towards other people, regardless of who they are. It seems to be like a blood sport. It's really disheartening, and who knows when it will all end-if it all ends.
"The far right"...I don't think I've heard a more worn out phrase and a phrase that has been used more as simply an excuse for intellectual dishonesty. We are the people. We are supposed to control "the system"(the government) and not the other way around.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Camaro View Post
"The far right"...I don't think I've heard a more worn out phrase and a phrase that has been used more as simply an excuse for intellectual dishonesty. We are the people. We are supposed to control "the system"(the government) and not the other way around.
Actually, the most worn out phrase that is an excuse for intellectual dishonesty is "personal repsonsibility".

Old 12-02-2010, 10:47 PM

240 posts, read 443,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, the most worn out phrase that is an excuse for intellectual dishonesty is "personal repsonsibility".
No, I don't think so. There are many on this site and in the media that when they have run out of arguments that contain any substance or any actual verifiable facts...they then turn to the labeling game(those crazy right wingers, those hateful right wingers, the hate speech coming from the right etc). Ironically, that is accepted and overlooked by those in positions of authority, which at best, is totally hypocritical.

You know mislabeling an opposing point of view because one disagrees with it, gives true hate speech a bad name!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:27 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
How can you say people weren't inflamed or angry ablout GS and other investment banks getting all that money? Many people, and certainly fiscal conservatives, were outraged that AIG was not allowed to fail, as it surely would have in a truly capitalistic system, and that taxpayer money was pid to it and to it's investors like GS. But I fail to see how one's anger at one stupid policy affects one's "right" to be angry at a completely different but equally stupid policy.

And BTW, if you don't watch a particular show or its host, perhaps you'd be better off not ascribing anything to that host, or to categorize it as "hate." All it does is showcase your propensity to babble without knowledge, and what good can that do you?
It goes to their intellect. Some posters on here like to babble about the poor and watch a lame idiot like Beck. Its easier than reading John Maynard Keynes or comprehending Macroeconomics 101.

I dont need to watch a hate monger on tv or radio...and I will post my informed opinion. My, you seem quite angry. The TLC channel and faux news is not fact...people are starting to learn this. Maybe they will pick up a book or go back to college and learn something.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:28 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post

You are right, its sad. people have no empathy for the poor. I was researching the patron saint for the needy, St.Lazarus...having been brought up Catholic, my mother worked with teen runaways, volunteered, etc. She also had money, but devoted time to the poor.

sad there are few people like that left on this earth. The greatest generation of Americans, now in their 60-70's-80's were conservative, but not ballistic and mean spirited like the right wing we see today.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
You are right, its sad. people have no empathy for the poor. I was researching the patron saint for the needy, St.Lazarus...having been brought up Catholic, my mother worked with teen runaways, volunteered, etc. She also had money, but devoted time to the poor.

sad there are few people like that left on this earth. The greatest generation of Americans, now in their 60-70's-80's were conservative, but not ballistic and mean spirited like the right wing we see today.
Is it wrong to choose to help those that are trying to make it on their own without government dependence ?

I would much prefer to donate cases of food and clothes to those that just don't have enough paycheck to cover it all.

What irks me are the government programs that promote total dependence for food/clothing/shelter. Where is the effort to wean off total dependence ? I just don't see it.

So I choose to help those that need HELP, not a check from Uncle Sam.
There are people living on the edge..not taking government money and not having enough paycheck to cover all their bills. Who worries about them ?
Those are the people that get my compassion and my help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies