Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 05:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Being over charged for a place, is if the place is higher than the market rate, for the area. And that's definitely the case, with my current apt. Regarding the definition of a hick town, it's not so much the people in a town, it's the lack of job opportunities, entertainment, variety of restaurants, stores, and shops. In other words, people living in such a town, are limited by the lack of choices regarding where to eat, work, shop, live, and socialize.
Out of the box thinking....find a job in a bigger city (maybe even Boston) as a live in apt manager..the small buildings 6-10 units. You get a salary and free place to live and just need to be the boss there.

Or a live in nanny for a wealthy couple with kids.

If you want out you're going to need to think outside the box here.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:13 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
The unemployment rate in MA is still over 8%. And it's not the lowest unemployment rate in the country. And an 8% uneployment rate is still too high, for everyone who wants a job to find one. That would only happen, if the unemployment rate was less than 6%. Guess some of these posters on this thread, are just too clueless to realize that fact.
Ok, one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. That, and with one of the largest cities. There is no reason not to get a job in MA. Further, cries of being over-qualified are a load of hooey. You can wait tables with a college degree. Almost all of the servers at my dh's restaurant have degrees. There are plenty of hiring restaurants in the metro area. And I also don't understand why you don't move into a roommate situation.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:13 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Being over charged for a place, is if the place is higher than the market rate, for the area. And that's definitely the case, with my current apt. Regarding the definition of a hick town, it's not so much the people in a town, it's the lack of job opportunities, entertainment, variety of restaurants, stores, and shops. In other words, people living in such a town, are limited by the lack of choices regarding where to eat, work, shop, live, and socialize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Usually moving to a small town that is exactly what some folks are looking for.

The reason small towns don't have all the "activities" you seem to crave (or have at least listed) is because they are small and don't have the customer base to support them.

Happy Texan-yep.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:19 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
How is it someone in their mid 50's went through a lifetime of savings in 2 years? You're pushing retirement age! Obviously you didn't make all the right choices if you only had 2 years of savings after 30+ years of work.
BS! I never had a chance to save lots of cash. Do you realize how high the cost of living has become, since the eighties?? Many, if not most folks in middle-age these days, either never made enough money to save-up tons of money, or lost their savings, due being jobless, or other misfortunes such as divorce, illness, or other catastrophies. Saving lots of money by mniddle age is fine in theory, but in the real world, especially today, it's not always possible!

Old 12-30-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The reason small towns don't have all the "activities" you seem to crave (or have at least listed) is because they are small and don't have the customer base to support them.

Happy Texan-yep.
No kidding!? I KNOW that's because the town is SMALL. So tell me something that I don't know!

Old 12-30-2010, 05:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
BS! I never had a chance to save lots of cash. Do you realize how high the cost of living has become, since the eighties?? Many, if not most folks in middle-age these days, either never made enough money to save-up tons of money, or lost their savings, due being jobless, or other misfortunes such as divorce, illness, or other catastrophies. Saving lots of money by mniddle age is fine in theory, but in the real world, especially today, it's not always possible!
Yes I do. That is why I moved from the NE to the south many moons ago.
Lower cost of living allowed me to save.
Living paycheck to paycheck in the NE was no way of life in my book.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
No kidding!? I KNOW that's because the town is SMALL. So tell me something that I don't know!
LOL most of us who move to small town America do so for the reasons you dislike.LOL
I don't want the crowds, the traffic, the noise or the problems associated with the cities or even large towns.
I want to know my neighbors, trust them and have a relationship with them. When I travel over seas they cut my grass for me, collect my mail etc.
I am mechanical and handy with tools. I fix their machines or work on their houses. We have cook outs together and its great.
PLaces to eat. Been to NY been over charged for meals that had no flavor. I have had good meals there as well.
But to each their own. Thank god this is america and we have some freedom and some choice in our lives.
Artwomyn I wish you well.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Out of the box thinking....find a job in a bigger city (maybe even Boston) as a live in apt manager..the small buildings 6-10 units. You get a salary and free place to live and just need to be the boss there.

Or a live in nanny for a wealthy couple with kids.

If you want out you're going to need to think outside the box here.
As I've said MANY TIMES, employers want to hire those with experience in the job that's open. Why would they hire me, when they can hire experienced Nannies, and building Managers? I have no such experience, and employers have the luxury of hiring people that are experienced, in whatever job that they have available these days.

As for working in a restaurant, that would be idiotic. Not just because I happen to be overqualified, but because I'm too old to be on my feet all day, and because I can't survive on what they pay in a restaurant job, especially in a big expensive city.

I have to have a job, that's right for me, based on my skills, financial needs, physical abilities, and likelihood of being hired for a job that I apply for. Thinking 'outside the box', doesn't mean that I can afford to disregard being practical. Even if I could afford to move to a big city, why would I choose to live with people that I don't know. It's too risky, and any poster on this thread who suggests that, doesn't have a clue!

Old 12-30-2010, 05:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Hmmm Where to start.
I make about 70g a year.
I built a house when I made about 45G a year. My home cost me right at 130g to build on some acres I bought previously. I drive an 08 Toyota tacoma fully loaded and its paid for. I normally keep a vehicle until it rolls over and dies.
I don't know what you make but the 80's I lived on military pay which wasn't all that. About 20g. I had a family my exwife was a stay at home mom.
There are always ways to save. We did. I swear I hate cutting coupons but still do.I worked odd jobs on the side, worked second jobs etc to save up to pay cash for my land. Continued doing the above so I could put at least 30% down on construction costs. It sucked. While doing the above I put money in an IRA and contributed to a 401k. I never financed what I call a toy. In other words a gun, TV, stereo etc.
There are always ways to save. Normally it means not much of a life style.
I think people are beating up on you a bit and I dont want to add to it. Its late in the game for you but not too late.
As some have suggested think outside the box. Most small towns have ads for room mates. A small garden saves you some serious grocery money. most small towns have a farm not far away and many farmers will allow you to plant a small garden on their land. especially if you first get to know them and offer to lend a hand.
If you lived near me I would put a garden in just for you on my land.
Artwomyn I wish you well I really do.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Hmmm Where to start.
I make about 70g a year.
I built a house when I made about 45G a year. My home cost me right at 130g to build on some acres I bought previously. I drive an 08 Toyota tacoma fully loaded and its paid for. I normally keep a vehicle until it rolls over and dies.
I don't know what you make but the 80's I lived on military pay which wasn't all that. About 20g. I had a family my exwife was a stay at home mom.
There are always ways to save. We did. I swear I hate cutting coupons but still do.I worked odd jobs on the side, worked second jobs etc to save up to pay cash for my land. Continued doing the above so I could put at least 30% down on construction costs. It sucked. While doing the above I put money in an IRA and contributed to a 401k. I never financed what I call a toy. In other words a gun, TV, stereo etc.
There are always ways to save. Normally it means not much of a life style.
I think people are beating up on you a bit and I dont want to add to it. Its late in the game for you but not too late.
As some have suggested think outside the box. Most small towns have ads for room mates. A small garden saves you some serious grocery money. most small towns have a farm not far away and many farmers will allow you to plant a small garden on their land. especially if you first get to know them and offer to lend a hand.
If you lived near me I would put a garden in just for you on my land.
Artwomyn I wish you well I really do.
I'm not into gardening, and will not live with people that I don't know. I've done that, and had to many bad experiences. Thanks for the well wishes though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies