U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:25 PM

25,485 posts, read 15,218,039 times

Advertisements

Often it appears as though our liberal associates recognize that there is in fact a very large national debt/deficit issue that jeopardizes our nation and our mutual financial solvency.

However, in spite of that impending threat, the standard liberal "answer"seems to be to blame George Bush and offers no viable solutions for control of the debt/deficit. To do nothing will surely result in the insolvency of the US, with the risk of civil war and social upheaval as a result. Clearly not a favorable situation for anyone.

Liberals, in the absence of marked spending cuts, particularly with regard to entitlements AND the military, do you have any solutions? If not, is the answer simply to allow anarchy to erupt and figure things out in a post apocyliptic "Mad Max" society?

Solutions...............PLEASE! Keep in mind that if we taxed "the rich" (i.e. those that make more than $250K per year) at a 100% rate (slavery), we would only generate $1.4 trillion in additional revenue and would still have an annual deficit. Further, those enslaved would seek slavery reparations compensation, further burdening the budget.

Solutions, please............................................ .. Think about an actual SOLUTION, rather than blaming George Bush. Blame will not produce results.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 05:56 PM

17,527 posts, read 22,863,851 times
Here's my liberal view
1. Remove the cap from the wage tax which would allow those making over $100,000 the opportunity to pay in like the rest of us.
2. Let the tax breaks expire, our debt is due, lets start paying on it.
3. Suspend all foriegn aid, borrowing money to give it away makes no sense
4. The Missle defense Shield is a system that doesn't work protecting us from a threat that doesn't exist, get rid of it
5. A Federal Usury limit of 18%, would make it illegal to charge more than 18% on any debt. That would raise the amount of spendable income among those living on credit

Old 11-20-2010, 06:09 PM

2,531 posts, read 2,763,834 times
We could start by eliminating The Federal Reserve Banking System. The idea that we let an elitist, for-profit group of banking interests control our currency and credit markets is ludicrous.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Here's my liberal view
1. Remove the cap from the wage tax which would allow those making over $100,000 the opportunity to pay in like the rest of us.
2. Let the tax breaks expire, our debt is due, lets start paying on it.
3. Suspend all foriegn aid, borrowing money to give it away makes no sense
4. The Missle defense Shield is a system that doesn't work protecting us from a threat that doesn't exist, get rid of it
5. A Federal Usury limit of 18%, would make it illegal to charge more than 18% on any debt. That would raise the amount of spendable income among those living on credit

You do realize, do you not, that the measures that you have proposed would not deduce even the deficit, let alone the debt. Try again.

1. Cap from social security tax. Incomes exceeding $110,00 are exempt from additional social security tax. Keep in mind, that those who pay at this rare do not recieve back nearly the amount they have contributed into the system.Try again.

Answer- again, even if we taxed "the rich" at 100% rates-slavery, it would not even eliminate the annual deficits. Slavery is currently illegal in the US, eliminating this "option".

2. "Let the tax breaks expire". The increased "revenues" from the expiration of the Bush tax cuts would add $100 billion per year of revenue, hardly making a dent in the annual deficit. Of course, the increased taxes, despite increased tax revenue, would reduce overall tax collection, due to reduced economic activity. That being said, allowing the Obama tax increases to unfold would not solve the problem. Try again.

3.Suspend all foreign aid. Agreed. That would save 20 billiion annually. You would just need 1,350 additional billion to make that plan a balanced budget. Try again.

4. Missle defense shield. $40 billion. You just need to pare off an additional 1, 360 billion, then everything will be fine. Try again.

5. Usuary limit. I am afraid that we would witness the lack of any credit, which would collapse the economy. The Popes tried this in the Middle Ages. Ever wonder why Jews became bankers? As a result, they have been persecuted and sought as a scapegoat for international political problems for hundreds of years. Are you anti-Semitic?

How about trying that thing which cannot be said.............................................. ..... that evil thing that every wicked conservative covets......................................... SPENDING REDUCTIONS FOR ENTITLEMENTS!!!!!!!!!!! Does that ring any bells? Entitlements account for 53% of all Federal Spending. Perhaps, just perhaps, we need to look at cutting those entitlements.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:53 PM

948 posts, read 1,317,858 times
Were in a deep hole and we need to start at the bottom. The hole was dug with a track hoe and all we have to fill it is a spoon

If a person is on welfare, part of that should be a job. Welfare should provide the same resources that day labor has and put these people to work and allow them an open door to a full time job. Supplement the difference in welfare pay as I have said before. If a person is to receive $400 a week in welfare and the work only pays $200, the welfare check should be $200. Encourage success.

If a person gets a full time job that eliminates the need for welfare, allow the person six months to a year on untaxed wages to build a nest egg.

Put political positions President, Senators, Congressmen on salary or hourly wage just like the rest of the US. make the pay equal to the job. I say 35 bucks a working hour.

Open the US army back up to people that are with out education and provide it. It truly amazing the people I have met in the Army that say they had no chance until the Army.

Remove basic food stamps and open stores that cater to the Food Stamp recipients. In other words have a special store instead of food stamps.
Use the prison system to provide food for people on food stamps and instead of food. Sates prisons have vast resources and most have farms and ranches that can be used for welfare FS recipients.

Tax Churches for investments and property. There is no reason that a church has a million dollars in non taxed property.

Eliminate the need for outsourcing. The government should not be making it more economical to hire people in Nigeria to fix my Chinese cell phone.

Drill for oil I don't care where. If its oil get a drill and go baby go.

When the US goes into a nation (Iraq) to free the people from a cruel dictator the Americans should get the benefits. The Iraqis were very grateful that we removed Saddam's gun from there head but when it comes to cooperation that look elsewhere. We should have a active armed military base in Iraq as we do in Germany and Japan.

O wait you wanted liberal ideas. Sorry I'm a conservative. Never Mind

Old 11-20-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
Were in a deep hole and we need to start at the bottom. The hole was dug with a track hoe and all we have to fill it is a spoon

If a person is on welfare, part of that should be a job. Welfare should provide the same resources that day labor has and put these people to work and allow them an open door to a full time job. Supplement the difference in welfare pay as I have said before. If a person is to receive $400 a week in welfare and the work only pays $200, the welfare check should be $200. Encourage success.

If a person gets a full time job that eliminates the need for welfare, allow the person six months to a year on untaxed wages to build a nest egg.

Put political positions President, Senators, Congressmen on salary or hourly wage just like the rest of the US. make the pay equal to the job. I say 35 bucks a working hour.

Open the US army back up to people that are with out education and provide it. It truly amazing the people I have met in the Army that say they had no chance until the Army.

Remove basic food stamps and open stores that cater to the Food Stamp recipients. In other words have a special store instead of food stamps.
Use the prison system to provide food for people on food stamps and instead of food. Sates prisons have vast resources and most have farms and ranches that can be used for welfare FS recipients.

Tax Churches for investments and property. There is no reason that a church has a million dollars in non taxed property.

Eliminate the need for outsourcing. The government should not be making it more economical to hire people in Nigeria to fix my Chinese cell phone.

Drill for oil I don't care where. If its oil get a drill and go baby go.

When the US goes into a nation (Iraq) to free the people from a cruel dictator the Americans should get the benefits. The Iraqis were very grateful that we removed Saddam's gun from there head but when it comes to cooperation that look elsewhere. We should have a active armed military base in Iraq as we do in Germany and Japan.

O wait you wanted liberal ideas. Sorry I'm a conservative. Never Mind

Those are a great start.

But, of course, there is no mention of the 800 lb gorillas- medicare and social security. I understand that you are a conservative, so you still have common sense, but perhaps our liberal associates could chime in as well?

Please, my liberal friends, we are looking for SOLUTIONS, not George Bush hate sessions.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:15 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,969,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Those are a great start.

But, of course, there is no mention of the 800 lb gorillas- medicare and social security. I understand that you are a conservative, so you still have common sense, but perhaps our liberal associates could chime in as well?

Please, my liberal friends, we are looking for SOLUTIONS, not George Bush hate sessions.
If we're gonna put medicare and social security on the table, there is no justification for keeping the Bush Tax Cuts on the wealthy.

And you are asking liberals but I haven't seen conservatives offer anything up except for "across the board federal spending cuts." Which sounds so great but if it were that easy we'd have it already.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:24 PM

10,796 posts, read 15,033,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Those are a great start.

No one's hating on Bush here. Would you come off it? When you keep throwing this in, it makes you and any good points you have that "the liberals" may consider go to the wayside because you're being so petty and small about it.

It's the same as if you went into Macy's and a salesman went, "hey, ugly! You want to quit looking like such a doofus? Here, buy this. Only people who are better-looking than you wear this, so you'll be doing yourself a favor. I promise it'll work as long as you don't try to rely on your fashion... 'sensibilities.'" Would you want to buy what the punk was hawking you?

Plus, you mention this "100% tax on the rich" here and in your previous thread... seriously: the only "liberals" I can possibly think of who would suggest something so absurd are idealistic teenagers who are filled with rhetoric and no experience in the real world; much like how the only "conservatives" I can think of whose long-term solution for fixing America revolves around executing "liberals" are also teenagers filled with rhetoric and no experience in the real world.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 11-20-2010 at 09:50 PM..

Old 11-20-2010, 09:49 PM

7,544 posts, read 7,803,088 times
Great thread. I'm very interested to hear what types of solutions other than "tax the rich" that liberals would like to put forth.

So far, nobody is calling for a decrease in the size/scope of federal government or cutting of congressional/federal employee pay and benefits.

Nobody is touching entitlements either or even eliminating redundant programs.

We can't attack the deficit through increased taxation alone. The sacred cows won't be spared.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:53 PM

10,796 posts, read 15,033,452 times
But then to answer your question, it'd help if we gave companies incentives for keeping jobs in the US, and penalties for shipping them overseas. You want to do business in the US? Hire Americans.

The fewer people on the government dole means fewer people who aren't paying taxes. Fewer people who aren't paying taxes means more people paying taxes means more money. These Americans put their money back into the US economy. It's pretty damned simple.

I'm totally fine with reducing the amount of money given to able-bodied Americans who can work but choose not to. I can work and my lifestyle isn't supported by section 8 vouchers and food stamps; why would I ever consider not working? Make more jobs happen and no one will have any excuses, and those that try can expect their "free ride" to involve government-sourced food, transit, and housing - not vouchers to live a "normal" life on "normal" things.

On a state level, fewer worthless city employees. No unions for city employees; no meter maids making $80k per year, no bus drivers making $60k. Sorry, it's just not viable in the public sector. Jobs need to get done, but the public sector is rarely about making a profit, and usually about civil service. No 90-100%% pensions for said retired meter maids and bus drivers: if you couldn't save any of your $80k/year for a rainy day, it's not the city's job to pay your inflated income for the rest of your life while it attempts to keep functioning as a city.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 11-20-2010 at 10:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies