U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 10:21 AM

14,076 posts, read 18,691,261 times

Advertisements

So, what's wrong with all that? Why is it an issue if someone is required to prove who they are before buying a car? You have to prove it for a lot of other things too, don't you?

Let me give you an example of why this isn't totally a bad idea, as reported to me by the guy who sold me my last car:

A few months ago, he says, a guy of obvious middle-eastern origin came into the dealership here in North Texas looking for a specific-sized, new car for which he wanted to pay cash in hundred dollar bills.

Of course, they had one on the lot which fit his requirements, but he had to call his "boss" in the Twin Cities to approve the purchase. Apparently, the "boss" didn't like it, so the deal was off. It turns out that this fellow had been to every dealership in town seeking the same thing, but left without a purchase.

Something or nothing? Why would someone in the Twin Cities be interested in paying cash for a car in Texas? You tell me. The dealership did report it all to the FBI, but so far as anyone knows, nothing has come of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 11:01 AM

20,301 posts, read 20,397,477 times
Every vehicle I have ever financed I had to provide those items. That is nothing new.
Every loan application I have ever filled out the same was true.
Last I heard paying cash over a certain amount it was required to provide all the info as well.
I have no issues with the law.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:43 AM

86,068 posts, read 76,951,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
So, what's wrong with all that? Why is it an issue if someone is required to prove who they are before buying a car? You have to prove it for a lot of other things too, don't you?
Except for voting..probably the most important American right.
No proof needed.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:21 PM

6,193 posts, read 4,886,481 times
Crap.......

I just bought a car and paid cash...........

they got me guys!

I'm buying a house too........and paying cash......

maybe prison?

Old 11-26-2010, 12:26 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,816,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Crap.......

I just bought a car and paid cash...........

they got me guys!

I'm buying a house too........and paying cash......

maybe prison?
I paid for my last car with a certified check (equivalent of cash). Hopefully the dealership didn't report me to Interpol.

Last edited by Patton360; 11-26-2010 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-26-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
I paid for my last car with a certified check (equivalent of cash). Hoepfully the dealership didn't report me to Interpol.
Cash or check, it's usually the amount, not the transport. You might be in the clear.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:04 PM

19,895 posts, read 16,837,970 times
What the frig, is coming next. Above poster, your probably right, illegals, probably won't have to shed any light on who they are, that is wha ****-- me off. You know they take these steps, what will come next.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:32 PM

4,126 posts, read 4,688,486 times
When I was a kid, it was commies, as a young adult it was perverts, now it's terrorists. Once we become numb to terrorists, who should we be afraid of next?

Wouldn't a terrorist in need of a car just steal one or pay cash for a used car with a license plate? Do terrorists have a history of purchasing cars from dealerships?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
When I was a kid, it was commies, as a young adult it was perverts, now it's terrorists. Once we become numb to terrorists, who should we be afraid of next?

Wouldn't a terrorist in need of a car just steal one or pay cash for a used car with a license plate? Do terrorists have a history of purchasing cars from dealerships?

They'll be doing 'pat down' inspections at check points soon.

However I don't expect they'll do them in your driveway before you get in to go to work....yet.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:14 AM

18,847 posts, read 33,920,882 times
The government is so dumb. Anyone who wants a car, can get one. Again, just "honest" folks will have to jump thru hoops. A person who wants to get away from the "list" iwll just call anyone with a car listed on Craigslist, and pay cash. No paperwork. And pay someone to register the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies