U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 06:19 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,477,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... more control ...

The federal government's Red Flags Rule mandates that auto dealers, banks, credit unions and other "creditors" and "financial institutions" take additional steps to prevent identity theft and fraud, beginning Jan. 1. Included in the list of so-called creditors is your family doctor.
Among those steps is determining whether a person applying for financing - or even paying cash for a car - appears on any government watch lists of known or suspected terrorists or terrorist organizations.
As a result, consumers hoping to finance a new or used car, a home or even a major appliance will be required to supply personal information - such as their Social Security number and birth date, as well as the answers to five questions designed to confirm a customer is who they say they are - to the business at the time of the sale. Those questions could include anything from previous addresses and area codes to the names of other members of the consumer's household.
The terror watch list: a software called Wise Scan ID to simplify the search of public records and the 475-page Office of Foreign Assets Control "Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons" list.

P.S. Anyone can view the "SDN List" online at U.S. Treasury - SDN List
There is an answer for that:

www. craigslist.com
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
You can buy a car, pay cash and not be asked any questions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 06:22 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,599,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
So, what's wrong with all that? Why is it an issue if someone is required to prove who they are before buying a car? You have to prove it for a lot of other things too, don't you?

Let me give you an example of why this isn't totally a bad idea, as reported to me by the guy who sold me my last car:

A few months ago, he says, a guy of obvious middle-eastern origin came into the dealership here in North Texas looking for a specific-sized, new car for which he wanted to pay cash in hundred dollar bills.

Of course, they had one on the lot which fit his requirements, but he had to call his "boss" in the Twin Cities to approve the purchase. Apparently, the "boss" didn't like it, so the deal was off. It turns out that this fellow had been to every dealership in town seeking the same thing, but left without a purchase.

Something or nothing? Why would someone in the Twin Cities be interested in paying cash for a car in Texas? You tell me. The dealership did report it all to the FBI, but so far as anyone knows, nothing has come of it.
I'm not quite sure I get this. If a man walked in to a dealership ready to pay sticker price on a car in cash I would assume he could claim discrimination if the dealership wouldn't sell to him.

I always pay cash for vehicles and I let the dealership know that up front. But I also price shop to get the best deal.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:23 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,477,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Great idea! Americans should be suspicious of each other. Let's make a general rule of thumb: anyone (even your neighbor) may be an anti-American terrorist. Be especially on guard for all who make major purchases, check to see if these people are wearing any patriotic items.
This country is looking more and more like the old USSR or Nazi Germany every day. Last week I went to Wal*Mart and bought some Nyquil and they asked for ID. I have never been asked for ID for anything but beer before 9-11 and now they ask for it for any over-the-counter medicine, engine cleaner and other things. And I am getting tired of having to show it.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:25 PM

1,011 posts, read 925,989 times
Why don't the government just start profiling the Muslims if they really want to get a handle on this?

Why dance around this fact, that it's pretty much just the muslims that want us dead (far from all, but those that do want us dead are muslims)

Why punish all americans for the stupid religion of some, isn't it a form of disrimination in itself?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:31 PM

7,510 posts, read 6,885,024 times
Well, we've done it to ourselves, didn't we? Does anyone else recall the Patriotic Act that everyone accepted while we were driving 'round with all those stupid flags slapped on our windows?

Freedoms forfeited are usually not regained without a fight. We gave them away without a thought.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:09 AM

5,369 posts, read 4,891,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Why don't the government just start profiling the Muslims if they really want to get a handle on this?

Why dance around this fact, that it's pretty much just the muslims that want us dead (far from all, but those that do want us dead are muslims)

Why punish all americans for the stupid religion of some, isn't it a form of disrimination in itself?

Don't you think, asking each person what religion they are, would be a wee bit against the constitution? How else are you going to tell what religion someone is?

Old 11-28-2010, 10:21 AM

86,068 posts, read 76,940,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Well, we've done it to ourselves, didn't we? Does anyone else recall the Patriotic Act that everyone accepted while we were driving 'round with all those stupid flags slapped on our windows?

Freedoms forfeited are usually not regained without a fight. We gave them away without a thought.
Fear of death is a pretty powerful motivator.
Notice how much it's used by DHS ?
Every move they make, every new policy is to protect us and keep us alive.

This "protection" will spread to other means of transportation.
Then it will be communication...manage the internet to protect us from terrorists plotting to kill us.

Yes, fear of death is a powerful motivator and the government seems to have found their ace in the hole to pass laws and spend money.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:36 AM

10,422 posts, read 9,478,969 times
Quote:
... more control ...

The federal government's Red Flags Rule mandates that auto dealers, banks, credit unions and other "creditors" and "financial institutions" take additional steps to prevent identity theft and fraud, beginning Jan. 1. Included in the list of so-called creditors is your family doctor.
Among those steps is determining whether a person applying for financing - or even paying cash for a car - appears on any government watch lists of known or suspected terrorists or terrorist organizations.
As a result, consumers hoping to finance a new or used car, a home or even a major appliance will be required to supply personal information - such as their Social Security number and birth date, as well as the answers to five questions designed to confirm a customer is who they say they are - to the business at the time of the sale. Those questions could include anything from previous addresses and area codes to the names of other members of the consumer's household.
The terror watch list: a software called Wise Scan ID to simplify the search of public records and the 475-page Office of Foreign Assets Control "Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons" list.

Could Obama pass the test? Can't be hired by the CIA FBI, etc because of affiliation with subversive characters.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:50 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,442,510 times
Quote:
... more control ...

Honestly don't know why this would upset anyone. I'm 60 years old and don't remember ever not having to give my name and address when applying for a loan or registering a vehicle. When applying for a loan, even previous addresses and SS#s are needed to check your credit history and see if you are a good credit risk. And when applying for a driver's license or registering any vehicle, the state has always asked when and where you've been licensed before and where you've had vehicles before. I've lived in three different states throughout my lifetime and I cannot remember any of them NOT asking those questions. Hell, they even asked most of them on the marriage license application when I got married in 1969! (Only thing not asked on that was the SS#!)

Old 11-28-2010, 10:59 AM

5,369 posts, read 4,891,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Fear of death is a pretty powerful motivator.
Notice how much it's used by DHS ?
Every move they make, every new policy is to protect us and keep us alive.

This "protection" will spread to other means of transportation.
Then it will be communication...manage the internet to protect us from terrorists plotting to kill us.

Yes, fear of death is a powerful motivator and the government seems to have found their ace in the hole to pass laws and spend money.

Too bad, this has nothing to do with DHS (other then in the mind of the OP, and a few others).
Fear of having your id stolen, credit ruined and bank account drained is a pretty powerful motivator.

It's for the FTC to combat Fraud and ID Thief as part of the final rules implement of sections 114 and 315 of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003 (introduced by a republican senator, passed by the house (392 - 30), passed by congress in 2003 (95 - 2) and signed by the president that same year).

These rules should have of been effective on January 1, 2008.

Last edited by plannine; 11-28-2010 at 11:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies