U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2010, 06:30 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston/Tricity
45,233 posts, read 64,694,628 times
Reputation: 104742

Advertisements

... more control ...

The federal government's Red Flags Rule mandates that auto dealers, banks, credit unions and other "creditors" and "financial institutions" take additional steps to prevent identity theft and fraud, beginning Jan. 1. Included in the list of so-called creditors is your family doctor.
Among those steps is determining whether a person applying for financing - or even paying cash for a car - appears on any government watch lists of known or suspected terrorists or terrorist organizations.
As a result, consumers hoping to finance a new or used car, a home or even a major appliance will be required to supply personal information - such as their Social Security number and birth date, as well as the answers to five questions designed to confirm a customer is who they say they are - to the business at the time of the sale. Those questions could include anything from previous addresses and area codes to the names of other members of the consumer's household.
The terror watch list: a software called Wise Scan ID to simplify the search of public records and the 475-page Office of Foreign Assets Control "Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons" list.

P.S. Anyone can view the "SDN List" online at U.S. Treasury - SDN List
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2010, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 14,968,933 times
Reputation: 6930
Great idea! Americans should be suspicious of each other. Let's make a general rule of thumb: anyone (even your neighbor) may be an anti-American terrorist. Be especially on guard for all who make major purchases, check to see if these people are wearing any patriotic items.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 12:15 AM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston/Tricity
45,233 posts, read 64,694,628 times
Reputation: 104742
In the name of "security" - I wonder what will be next...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 07:42 AM
 
4,500 posts, read 10,707,621 times
Reputation: 2898
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In the name of "security" - I wonder what will be next...
Watch V for Vendetta or read the book Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow (a young adult book, but other than a slightly juvenile language at times, and the younger main characters, you didn't really notice. The subject matter most certainly would fit an adult book too) and you'll have a decent idea of where the path we're currently on leads us.

There's still hope, that those in charge, and that's us, use that power and stop this beast from growing too big to handle peacefully.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 08:37 AM
 
1,882 posts, read 4,293,301 times
Reputation: 2667
Reminds me of when I bought a pickup a couple yrs ago, used and in another state. Had to sign to prove/authenticate my previous signature.

Anymore, you can't trust anyone or anything....or that is the feel'n I get.

Just more gov't bs paperwork that nobody checks and we get to pay for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 01:44 AM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,966,402 times
Reputation: 16886
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Watch V for Vendetta or read the book Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow (a young adult book, but other than a slightly juvenile language at times, and the younger main characters, you didn't really notice. The subject matter most certainly would fit an adult book too) and you'll have a decent idea of where the path we're currently on leads us.

There's still hope, that those in charge, and that's us, use that power and stop this beast from growing too big to handle peacefully.
V is incredably intense and I bought the dvd the day it came out. I read the origional first half when it was in the black and white British Comics magazine and couldn't wait for it to be picked up after that folded.

Sometimes the best way to see tomorrow is through those who look ahead at what might be. I try to believe that there is really hope, but wonder about that percentage who think being groped is just fine if it keeps us all nice and safe. How do you wake them up? By then is it too late to matter?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 02:27 AM
 
Location: SA
744 posts, read 1,116,592 times
Reputation: 571
I bet the illegals will be able to purchase anything they want because asking them for a Birth Certificate of other forms of ID is wrong. I am sick of the way honest people are being treated here. I can not wait until we can get someone in power that is not afraid of their own shadow. Let the American citizen protect themselves and the government should protect the borders. Here is the concept have the government keep them from coming in but let us clean up what ever they may miss.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 AM
 
Location: NJ
18,407 posts, read 13,268,097 times
Reputation: 12314
Default surrender your freedom here..........

Interesting down slope move.

Set up suspicion of your neighbors in the name of protection from terrorists and when everyone gets used to the new rules switch the intent to a partisan socio political goal.

The terrorist and even everyday criminals real crime is the chipping away of our freedoms.

Another reason to take all crime seriously and another reason to fight proposed feel good laws raised to boost political reputations on the tail wind of an emotional crisis.

Let's not forget the legal contribution from starving lawyers looking for crumbs of cash to support their foreign vacation homes. Businesses, local governments and everyone else with accumulated wealth have had to change their conduct to avoid frivolous lawsuits.

Both tactics require costly changes, if the terrorists don't get you the lawyers and legislators will.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2010, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
43,856 posts, read 46,361,009 times
Reputation: 58669
I get tired of the policing of law abiding citizens due to the government's inability of policing criminals.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2010, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Michigan
5,369 posts, read 4,891,055 times
Reputation: 1633
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... more control ...

The federal government's Red Flags Rule mandates that auto dealers, banks, credit unions and other "creditors" and "financial institutions" take additional steps to prevent identity theft and fraud, beginning Jan. 1. Included in the list of so-called creditors is your family doctor.
Among those steps is determining whether a person applying for financing - or even paying cash for a car - appears on any government watch lists of known or suspected terrorists or terrorist organizations.
As a result, consumers hoping to finance a new or used car, a home or even a major appliance will be required to supply personal information - such as their Social Security number and birth date, as well as the answers to five questions designed to confirm a customer is who they say they are - to the business at the time of the sale. Those questions could include anything from previous addresses and area codes to the names of other members of the consumer's household.
The terror watch list: a software called Wise Scan ID to simplify the search of public records and the 475-page Office of Foreign Assets Control "Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons" list.

P.S. Anyone can view the "SDN List" online at U.S. Treasury - SDN List

The Red Flags Rule was introduced/enacted in September 2008 (to help protect Americans from fraud and identity thief) and delayed until now.


"The Federal Trade Commission, however, has delayed enforcement of the rule several times ,
most recently at the request of some members of Congress who hope to resolve any questions regarding which entities must comply
".
(Buying a Car a Little Harder Now - News, Sports, Jobs - The Intelligencer / Wheeling News-Register)

You are a little late to whine.

But if you are someone who is trying to commit identity theft or fraud, then maybe you should whine louder.

Last edited by plannine; 11-26-2010 at 10:20 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top